Chalk it up to Experience

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
I can't be the only one. How many of you use climbing/gym chalk while you forge? Long days forging usually ended with a hotspot or two. I found the culprit to be moisture from sweat and slack tub water. It would either leave me with poor grip(white-knuckling) or the opposite(parts of my hand sticking and causing blisters). I discovered my solution in chalk. I keep a container on my anvil stand and reach in every once in a while to make my hands silky smooth and moisture free. I use it, as a drummer, too. You can get a climber's chalk bag pretty cheap, online.

That's a good idea! I've got a bag left over from my climbing days... I'm too fat now to manage it! Lol!

Yeah I do the same. One of the benefits of having my shop share a space with my home gym.

To be clear... I don't use chalk every time I forge... just when I feel I need it.

good advice for other trades as well- for example boat builders. In that case you'd just have to be a little more careful with getting too much chalk on your caulk

Armpits chafe during pushups, and some other presses, bad enough to quit. I never thought to try chalk, but coconut oil worked nicely. Probably not quite as effective for the purposes of the OP though.

chalk them coconuts!

You can't help yourself can you

Back