Changing Tastes

So I've been into knives since I was a kid but started "collecting" a few years ago. I was all in to the BenchMades and Spyderco's and RAT's and Bucks.

Recently, I've discovered Opinel's and Old Bear and MAM knives, and they seem to get my attention more than anything else these days. I like the old school designs, and the skinny blades, but most of all, I like the relatively inexpensive cost of these knives.

I was on the verge of springing for a Spyderco Military at ~$200, but then I realized I could get 8 or more of the more traditional folders for the same price.

My main EDC is an Endura, and that prolly won't change, but it's funny how a person's taste can change.

I'm also more interested recently in revolvers than semi-auto pistols so I may retrogressing!!

Autos recently became legal in my state. It will take quite a while for the novelty to wear off. Always wanted a switchblade. Now I got one.

My tastes haven't changed much, still like modern folders.

Bargain knives with traditional flair are where it's at. I like budget stuff, but I like it to be well thought out and high-performance in form. Most of those traditional knives fit that criteria.

My Pohl Force Mike 42 kinda showed me that I don't mind carrying a non locking blade as much as I thought it would irk me. Gonna add a couple more slippies to the collection.

Hey Winch, over here,

You need a Douk-Douk. Thin blade, takes razor edge, near indestructible, and old school classic. Then checkout the German made Mercator K55.

You'll thank me. :thumbsup:

I've been on a mini-binge for the past 2 weeks:
-3 Opinel #10's engraved as gifts
-Black Kat Mercator K55
-Old Bear Classic XL
-MAM 2062 Bubinga

On the list:
-Opinel #12 carbon (I like bigger knives)
-Opinel #15 Slim Line and prolly a #12
-Douk Douk
-Open to suggestions for similar knives!!

Changing tastes is a-ok.
I was really into thick handled overbuilt folders for a few years. Now as I am getting older...Ive sold all those off, but one. Now I really enjoy thinner handled modern knives. My optimal blade length has changed also.
I just love the journey, and the people I have met along the way.

Back