Chaparral Preview/Review

Thanks so much for your time and effort for this post!

Love the looks of this little guy. Anything "Sage" related has my complete attention.
Definitely looking forward to this line of knives.

I like the looks of this one the taiwan made spydercos just keep improving all the time the f and f should be outstanding.

Wow! That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to pick that up.

Could you please put up a pic or two with a Delica 4 for reference? Thanks!

Wow! That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to pick that up.

Could you please put up a pic or two with a Delica 4 for reference? Thanks!
Here you go...

chaparral_delica_comp_1.jpg

chaparral_delica_comp_2.jpg

You give up 1/16" of blade length, gain a usable 50/50 choil and a more compact package.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Last edited:
Okay, thanks. That helped a lot.

By the way, I think you posted the same picture twice.

Also, other than the Chaparral riding deeper in the pocket and the D4 being longer, how differently do they ride in the pocket?

Okay, thanks. That helped a lot.

By the way, I think you posted the same picture twice.

Also, other than the Chaparral riding deeper in the pocket and the D4 being longer, how differently do they ride in the pocket?
Oops! Fixed now. :eek:

As for the other, I'm not a clip person, so I can't really say. Any knives I carry get the clip removed before I stick them in my back pocket. All I can tell you is, since it's thinner, the Chaparral is more comfortable to sit on.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Okay. I'm changing up my EDC arrangement, so maybe I'll try the back pocket thing. Then again, I'd rather not stab myself in the gluteal muscles...

Anyway, thanks again for the pics and answers! :thumbup:

Okay. I'm changing up my EDC arrangement, so maybe I'll try the back pocket thing. Then again, I'd rather not stab myself in the gluteal muscles...

Anyway, thanks again for the pics and answers! :thumbup:
Glad to help.

Like everything else, there are probably trade offs here. This is pure speculation, but given that the Chaparral is thinner and rides deeper, it should carry more discreetly than the Delica. On the other hand, because it rides higher, the Delica would probably be faster to deploy.

Paul
bar_02.gif

That's what I figured. Deployment speed is not an issue, as I plan to get this as an EDC knife in more formal environments than I would carry a Delica in. Not a gentleman's folder, but something easy to carry in slacks, stylish, and practical.

really liked the look of this the first time I saw it, but had no interest in obtaining one.

Until finding out now that it has a 2mm thick blade. I might just have to pick one up! Can't keep away from the thin spydies. Plus it's reminiscent of my first spyderco, the s30v native.

I really like that blade, it may compete with my Kreined Caly Jr. ZDP for deep pocket duty. I love the 2mm blade with the FFG, that has to be a truly great slicer. The front lock with no Boye dent is nice (I think my Manix is my only Spyderco without the Boye dent). All of my Taiwan Spydercos have had exceptional fit and finish. My wife wants a knife around that size so I may end up with 2 of these knives. Thanks Deacon for all of the pictures and the excellent review.

Mike

I was just wondering if the plan is still to offer this knife with various handle materials? If so, I would love to throw out the suggestion to have one with the glow in the dark material used on the manix2. I would love to see one of those, along with all the wonderful array of colors that spyderco is so good at using. The blue, orange, tan, green, Glow in the Dark, Carbon Fiber, Titanium, Pink, Oh it is endless...........
I could be in trouble with this one. Reasonable price point, no supersteels to jack up the price, and the collecting can begin.

When, when, when?????

I am just a bit excited about this one, sorry.

I see one pivot screw and one for the clip (on each side) but what holds the knife together?

I see one pivot screw and one for the clip (on each side) but what holds the knife together?

There's probably hidden screws or pins under the carbon fiber scales. I think the fact that only two screws are showing is pretty nice. Very refined look.

I love my Cat, but the Chaparral appears to be even better suited to my EDC wishes for a small gentleman's knife. A great review and I have placed a pre-order

Depending on the price, I'm pretty sure I'll purchase one. Any idea on when they will be released?

Deacon--thanks for pics, specs and thoughts. This is a must have for me. I'm one of the folks who had high hopes for the Chicago/Cat based on the specs. Bought a Cat, and for reasons discussed at length by others, it was the first Spyderco I ever had that I really didn't like. With the specs you give, and great Sage-like fir and finish, this should more than make up for it. :thumbup:t

Last edited:
Back