Charlie Bell knives

Chief

Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000
Platinum Member
Proud to introduce Charlie Bell, another Oklahoma custom slipjoint maker. Found out a couple months ago that Charlie and I live in the same town, only a few miles apart. We met for coffee and I took several of my custom slipjoints along for show and tell. We discussed different makers' styles and why I preferred certain aspects. Showed him my favorite T. Bose 3.5" trapper and asked him to clone it using preban scale material I provided. Hand satin wicked sharp D2 blade per my request (HRC ~ 59) other steels available, spring 440C, liners (milled) and pins 416, washer construction to keep from scratching the tang, black spacers, flush in all three positions, solid lockup open and closed. Charlie is a 100% maker, does everything by hand himself, including heat treats. Charlie doesn't have a web site but takes orders through email. VCM3 VCM3 is the only dealer stocking Charlie's knives at the current time and he has a couple in stock.

Fit and finish on this knife is far above the price range. No cracks, no gaps, no rub, wonderful walk and talk, the snap is sweet, wicked sharp. Smooth edges all the way around, no hot spots when using, fits the hand perfect. If you have one of Charlie's knives, please post.

bellivoryshadowtrapper-1.jpg

bellivoryshadowtrapper-2.jpg

bellivoryshadowtrapper-3.jpg

bellivoryshadowtrapper-4.jpg

bellivoryshadowtrapper-5.jpg

bellivoryshadowtrapper-6.jpg

Last edited:
wow, thats a beauty, hope to see more of Charlies knives posted.

Nice knife John, I really like that. One knife on my wish list has that design in mind. Basically a single blade Bose WT, without the wharncliffe.

I've owned a couple of Charlie's knives. He is a great maker to commission a custom knife from. He's also active on Instagram and will take orders there as well. Makes a darn nice knife for the money that's for sure. Excellent Bell trapper there Chief!

That is sweet John ! I have one currently in stock & it's on sale too .

Proud to introduce Charlie Bell, another Oklahoma custom slipjoint maker. Found out a couple months ago that Charlie and I live in the same town, only a few miles apart. We met for coffee and I took several of my custom slipjoints along for show and tell. We discussed different makers' styles and why I preferred certain aspects. Showed him my favorite T. Bose 3.5" trapper and asked him to clone it using preban scale material I provided. Hand satin wicked sharp D2 blade per my request (HRC ~ 59) other steels available, spring 440C, liners (milled) and pins 416, washer construction to keep from scratching the tang, black spacers, flush in all three positions, solid lockup open and closed. Charlie is a 100% maker, does everything by hand himself, including heat treats. Charlie doesn't have a web site but takes orders through email. VCM3 VCM3 is the only dealer stocking Charlie's knives at the current time and he has a couple in stock.

Fit and finish on this knife is far above the price range. No cracks, no gaps, no rub, wonderful walk and talk, the snap is sweet, wicked sharp. Smooth edges all the way around, no hot spots when using, fits the hand perfect. If you have one of Charlie's knives, please post.

Excellent pics (as usual) of a beautiful custom John. Ya gotta be thrilled with that one.

Wow, glad I didn't miss seeing this marvelous Muskrat! Thanks for posting it.

Very fine, John! I've been watching his work, and I like his handles a lot. Might order one from Bell after seeing this... I won a raffle that was supposed to include a barlow from Jefferey Mitchell, but that turned into a "I'll have it done next week, I promise" thing that never materialized and has soured me on him. Still want the custom barlow, though, and I really like when a maker does their own heat treating.

Back