Charlow Barlow History

I was researching variations in the style of saw cut, types of handle covers, and tube art, on the Charlows and put together a pictorial that may entertain some of us. Not a complete listing of every cover material or tube, but gives an idea of the timing and variations of the various runs. The quoted images are all from this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1009441-What-Makes-a-Good-Traditional-Barlow/

The first run Charlows are tang stamped with the 12 as the last digits, they were all Spear Bladed.

12/3/12
TCparts1.jpg

12/4/12
The first one off the line!!
TCfin3.jpg

12/5/12
the first Ebony came off the etching bench!!
TCEB1.jpg

TCEB2.jpg

12/6/12
GEC had a few pieces of Ebony left from the one blades, so they put together some of these, but only a few. . . .
151.jpg

152.jpg

154.jpg

12/6/12
The Ebony was sort of an afterthought, brought in at the last minute, and with available materials, there are only a few single blades, and very few two blades.
~20 and ~9 respectively. I understand the whole run is about 200 knives.

12/7/12
They got a deeper sawcut on this one
169.jpg

12/12/12

12/12/12
Even though the long pull on the master "hides" behind the pen blade it is easy to access. There is a wide swedge on the back of the pen blade that lets your thumbnail slip right to the pull!

TCBarlow2.jpg

------

12/17/12

12/19/12

12/20/12
barlowlabelback.jpg

About the only thing I should have added, is "Don't forget to Oil the Joints"!!

12/21/12
I'm a firm believer in cider vinegar. I scrub the knife real good and dry it completely. I heat the vinegar in this skinny little glass I have, in a microwave, 'til it starts to bubble slightly. (don't boil it!). Insert knife. Leave until it is black, moving it slightly to move fresh acid to the metal.
Rinse and rub it with a cloth or paper towel.
My Bullwinkle has kept its homemade patina/bluing for a year, and I never worry about it rusting!
We will find out soon if it makes a good traditional Barlow Better!!

12/30/12

1/7/13
Here's an example of how much Macassar Ebony can vary!
I was quite surprised to see the "stripes"!
TCEbony1.jpg

TCEbony2.jpg

I have to look at them a while before I decide whether I like the stripey one or not. It is so startlingly unexpected. They certainly did a good job of matching the handles, front to back!!
TCEbony3.jpg

For the second run, Clip bladed Charlows were produced, and because there were a few spear blades left over, a few spear bladed Charlows were produced in the second run. These have a 13 as the last digit in the number.

1/20/13
Any single Clips in the pipeline?

1/21/13
Will, there will be 1-blade and 2-blade versions.
The sawcut bone will be a little different. Just slightly.

1/23/13
For the collectors of statistics, there were 218 spear blade TC Barlows made last year. And there will be about 350 Clips this year.

2/8/13
I have gotten a lot of requests for numbers. Many people have missed the Spear blade run, so we have upped the numbers for the clip. There were 218 spears made, and now there will be 335 clips.
200 will be single blades, Duncan!

2/27/13
Some say a better Barlow has Redbone on it. My little spy managed to sneak out a pic of an unfinished scale! Looks promising!!
016_zps65d75394.jpg

2/27/13
Yes, the sawcut striations are more pronounced this time. They "grew" at my request, after the first color on the spears came out, and they really "hit the nail" this time, IMO!!
I can't wait!!!!!!!

2/27/13
My mole managed to snag this pic before they slammed the doors and set the alarms today!!
Crappy pic, but it shows the Dark Brown handles coming up! Kinda chocolatey - I think they are going to be nice when they pic up some highlights from polishing/finishing!
GEDC0119_zps706c137f.jpg

2/27/13
Just curious to know if they are only using the Gabon ebony on this batch as opposed to the Macassar used on some of the last batch. I ask because I spied this picture on their "What's Happening" thread with the caption "#15 TC Barlow Gabon Ebony ready for milling"
55.JPG

2/27/13
I believe it will be all Gabon. I found the wood in San Francisco a couple of years ago, and just sent it to GEC two weeks ago. Bill assures me there is plenty.
The streaks are more grey than brown, and overall it is darker/blacker than the Macassar.

2/28/13
The very first one off the line!!!
TC0078_zps491d34da.jpg

3/13/13
The first batch of several shipments went out today!! About 100 knives

3/15/13
I absolutely love the Rust Red covers, the f&f is spot on. Happy, happy happy!!!

p3150001v.jpg

3/16/13

3/17/13

3/19/13
Speaking of details... I notice the long pull is narrower on the new clip blades than on the spears.

3/19/13
I talked to GEC today and brought up the thinner pull. They have been trying different tooling to see what is most durable. The long pull is cold forged into the blade which puts tremendous pressure on the tool, and occasionally breaks it.
I mentioned that I prefer the wider one, because it allows my nail to pivot more without "shaving" it.

3/20/13
Here's a mystery/tease picture for you!
GabonvsMacassar1_zpsdffcd634.jpg

3/31/13
Is this an original two blade spear point, with a Gabon ebony two blade spearpoint above?

3/31/13
I'm glad someone finally saw the Gabon Spear!!:rolleyes:

3/31/13
GEC Bill was making some Spear Boy's and mentioned I had a few pieces of Gabon, and other Barlow parts - enough for 9 Barlows with Spears!

4/4/13
I am trying to get GEC to do a run of Marrow Bones!!

4/4/13
There is a short run of Pile-Pen Spears coming up at the end of April, for those who had a problem with the Mark-Pen Spears.... Just 100 knives. Half Ebony, Half Sawcut.

4/6/13
I'm surprised, given their tradition of only putting long pulls on Northfield knives, that they used the long pulls on their Boy's Knives.
Seems a standard crescent pull would be more appropriate for the "lower end" offering.

4/6/13
Jeff, we batted the pulls around quite a bit, and decided the long pull was the way to go, especially on the Spear version. If gives that little extra access behind the pen! Besides, they look better to my eye!

4/8/13
----

4/17/13
Sawcut Redbone, Blaine. In a week! Pen blade behind the SPEAR!!

4/17/13
P&G, that's the same batch of Ebony! But it's also the last of it.
I think about 45 knives are Ebony in this batch, and the rest are Redbone. The color is similar, but deeper/redder than Rust Red. I wanted them different than the first run, so collectors holdings aren't "diluted".
All runs will be exclusive in some way.
And, I hope this will satisfy those who prefer the pen at the back, and some who plain missed the Spear!

4/19/13
So I guess these are now officially Charlows :)

APRIL-18.png

4/25/13
Speaking of Pens on the other side, I finally got my hands on these guys!
TCpenback2_zps0eb26eb0.jpg

They have the usual nice workmanship IMO, plus that easy to reach Pen of course.
Along with them are some 1 blades for those who missed the first Spear Run (or maybe DIDN'T miss them;)).
TCpenback1_zps3c143586.jpg

A comparison shot of the two-blades front (mark) and rear (pile).
The Pen just sits back there waiting for you!
TCpenback3_zpsaa1f6743.jpg

And finally, here's a pic of the Rust Red variations. The previous batch rep is in the middle. The two outside ones (new spears) were dyed longer, without an "overcoat".
TCpenback4_zps71900190.jpg

We were looking for a deeper red, but dye doesn't always do what is expected. Still nice though. We need to pull out the "Wayback" machine, and go spy on Case in the 40s and 50s!:D
Hope you like them!

4/26/13
there are a few more to be made. Sheepfoot, Spey, and Razor/one-armed yet to go! That will cover all the traditional Barlow Blades of the last Century or so.

4/28/13
Those "innie/outies" are the last of the Spear and Clip blades for this year! (There's hope for your wallet yet Mr. Bad!)
Spaced out over the next 7-8 months you will see the Sheepfoot, Spey and Razor Mains, probably in that order.

4/29/13
Soup Bone!

5/2/13
So, I finally managed to drag a few of these Soup Bones home to scan. ...I gave my clip boiley to a knifeless friend, so one of these would make a worthy replacement.

TCinnies1_zps7b5cf3c7.jpg

TCinnies2_zps6ea5c952.jpg

5/2/13
My mother's favorite soup was Beef Barlow errr. . .Barley - Beef Barley - I kid you not!!:D

5/3/13

----

5/4/13
Every once in a while, a "second" comes off the bench at GEC, and I usually buy them.
Sometimes it is a slight variance in the handle covers....

TCErrata1_zps5cd4e125.jpg

TCErrata2_zps4c9c4293.jpg

TCErrata3_zpscfb428c0.jpg

The other knife in the picture is a "Thank You" knife, I think for ordering so many Barlows and being a friend to GEC!. I owe that one to all my good friends here who enjoy the knives!
The handles are pre-ban xxxxx stuff.:rolleyes:

5/10/13
My Grail Knife arrived, Ebony Single Spear Charlow. I blame this thread. Thank You Barlie!

9AF546CA-5E45-4182-8C91-CA0009501431-2709-000003C3F113D3D7_zps30a542ad.jpg

Last edited:
Enter the Sheepfoot

5/31/13 Baaaaa
Here's a pattern #15 setup knife. Gee! I wonder what this means??:D

GEDC1226_zps2e437f8f.jpg

GEDC1225_zps85cadcee.jpg

GEDC1221_zps1bbcdbef.jpg

6/1/13
My father had a couple of walnut gunstock blanks in his closet from the 1950s. My brother gave me one of them, and I of course immediately thought "knife Handles"!
We are just looking at it to see how it finishes up.

6/8/13
Back to TC Barlows - The Sheepfoot run will have 4 different handle options.
Tentatively, 2 wood and 2 bone.
Past examples have had Macassar, then Gabon Ebony. This time, African Blackwood will dress them up. I am also hoping my dear old Dad's Walnut will work out. We haven't seen how it will finish yet. Walnut is marginally hard enough, but needs to be stabilized to perform optimally. It should be back from the process soon.
Everyone liked that Antique Yellow on the first run, so we are bringing that one back in sawcut, and for the fourth one, we will try smooth white bone. It looks so good on a barehead knife, I thought it would suit a Barlow.
Feel free to comment, please!

7/18/13
O.K. today we are closer!

The first finished Sheepfoot!
3508_zps20eb4046.jpg

3501_zps01c1a7ac.jpg

3503_zpsaf54e328.jpg

7/23/13
New cover story today...

JULY-22.png

7/23/13
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/mandomachado/africanblackwood.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

----

7/26/13 [quote="pertinux, post: 12456298"]Here's one I picked up for a friend. I'm now noticing that the single blade's sheepsfoot appears to ride higher than that of the two-bladed version; I'm not sure if this is universal or simply a variation between these two knives. More investigations tomorrow!

[IMG]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u381/pertinux/TC%20Barlow/IMG_0791.jpg~original

IMG_0789a.jpg~original

7/28/13
And while I'm at it and since this thread was started by Charlie aka Waynorth, here's a photo I took while he was at GEC this weekend, sharing his immense knowledge of Barlow lore to all that would pause and listen, and there were MANY that visited him and were better for it I might add ;)

IMG_1672.jpg

7/29/13
This is my first post since I got back late last night.
I have 109 emails requesting Barlows or info, so please be patient everyone!!

8/3/13
Thought I'd put up a group shot:

IMG_1346.jpg

8/8/13
These came in today...

Charlow1.jpg

8/9/13

8/15/13
Just a pair of Sheepfoot Charlows :thumbup:

btqr.jpg

8/17/13
Thanks for my Walnut Charlow, and the Canuck Comic Relief Barlie :)
Its a beauty, and I feel honored to be part of the Heirloom Gunstock Fan Club.

85EF92A2-B64E-4D52-B308-7F69ACC60901-677-0000002ECE5451D5_zps0c4a81b6.jpg

Announcing the Spey Charlow

10/22/13
No answers on the "when" except it will be this year, but there will be three blade configurations:

> Single blade Spey.

> Spey with a Clip behind it, like a trapper. That configuration was produced in Sheffield, and later in Germany over the last century or so.

> Single Clip. We've done these before, but because of overwhelming requests, we are producing a short run with different handles than the first run.

I have been looking at old catalogs, and have found that the "Spey" blade configuration has also been sold as a "Budding" blade, and as a "Farmer's" blade by various cutleries.

11/5/13
FarmerBarlowclosed.png~original

Farmer Barlows, double-bladed, with a change-up...
TrapperBarlow.png~original

11/5/13
Not JUST a nail nick, but a long, agonizing decision about what pulls to use. Took me more than a month to decide!!...

Tom has grown up now, and become a farmer!!:D

11/8/13
Yes, I've spent my first 60 years on this earth, not ever needing a Spey blade!:eek:
Wondering why the heck the cutlers even bothered to make them!
A waste of steel I tell ya!!:rolleyes:

But the last 9 years, I have enjoyed 20 or 30 of them. Very useful if you ask me.;)

11/11/13
I am expecting the Rosewood and smooth Yellow Bone to Handle the single blade clips.

11/14/13
I like the swedges on the Spey blades! ETA is DEC. 1st.

11/15/13
TC-Spey-BARLOW-CHARLIE-CAMPAGNA-15_zpsf7067af3.png

they are starting assembly next week

11/19/13
I had a Rooster once, a Bantam, who kept my laying hens safe and happy!
His success always impressed me, so I thought I'd pay him a bit of tribute.
I even put his picture on the new Spey blade - he was never afraid of anything!!

11/19/13

11/20/13
It cracks me up every time I hear that alternate name for Chechen Rosewood - Black Poisonwood!
Makes me think machiavellian thoughts, picturing people like Lucrezia Borgia and Henry VIII.:D
The wood itself, doesn't look sinister, or capable of intrigue, and in fact it is quite pleasing to the eye. But then, reportedly, so was Lucrezia!:D:D

11/20/13
Here come the two-fers! :)

WED-NOV-20-YELLOW-CHECHEN.png

11/21/13
Just dashed off the Back Label and GEC embellished it.
I hope you will forgive my amatuerish rantings - it's the place where I actually get to be hands on besides (he groans) wrapping packages!
SAWYERBARLOWDAYSWORKback_zps49c01bee.jpg

11/22/13

11/23/13

11/30/13
Well, I finally got to open the boxes from GEC, and mail out some Spey blades!...
Here are samples of the handles, and each variation of blades. I like all of them, but really like the two blade. It has a pleasing appearance closed, and each blade turned out great. The Spey has a subtly arched spine, and the drawn swedges appear just right on both blades.
TCSpey1_zpscb80e2bf.jpg

TCSpey2_zpse0416f2b.jpg

11/30/13

12/1/13

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1155799-Let-s-see-your-Charlie-SFOs/page3
2/23/13
Don't forget the spey soup bones!

IMG_1722_zpsdc7aa705.jpg~original

IMG_1723_zps4ffd6dee.jpg~original

Last edited:
Wow! What a fantastic and fascinating study on the TC Barlow. Thanks so much for putting this together, it's a great way to know the origins and evolution of the beautiful and amazing Charlow.

I only have one Charlow at the moment but it's one of the top 4 most-carried of my small EDC rotation. It's in my pocket nearly every day.

I agree. Wow! Good thread my friend. I'm gong to have to wait until I'm on Wi-Fi to really enjoy it completely, but very cool from what I was able to see. Good job and thank you! Haha, now I have to find one of those ebony two blades from the original run. The hunt is part of the fun. I gave my last ebony knife away to a coworker's little nephew. Time for another I think. Is it cheating on my red bone barlow if I carry a different type cover as long as it's a Barlow? Lol

WOW JON!!! What a task you set yourself to!!! That my friend is impressive :thumbup:

I can only imagine the time it took you to do this? Thank you for this, it is really informative!!! Wow, simply Wow. Instant "bookmark page " right here ;)

Well done...

Paul

Thank you very much for posting this reference Jon and thank you Charlie for making these knives happen. I hope to have one of these fine Barlows in the future. This reference will be a frequent stop for me.
Nathan

Great reference thread! I still don't own one of these but might have to find some doubloons for one. They really are just cool.

Thanks for your kind words of support gentlemen. I kept meaning to stop for lunch, but could not til I finished, in time for dinner. Learned a lot along the way.

Now for the optional quiz, open book.

1. What are the two lowest production Charlow models,? Name the blade config, covers, how many of each were made, and when.

2. Of the pile side pen models, which cover materials did they have, and of those, which had the lower production?

3. What is a French Nick?
A) a Croissant
B) a Long Pull
C) a Matchstriker

Impressive, Jon. Great compendium!

Jon, I can't thank you enough for pulling this together. Surprised the heck out of me tonight!
I've been partly absent from here with the darn flu, but you have lifted my spirits with this very nice recap!!
You will have some history to add in two weeks or less!!
Grazie Mille!!

Thanks for your kind words of support gentlemen. I kept meaning to stop for lunch, but could not til I finished, in time for dinner. Learned a lot along the way.

Now for the optional quiz, open book.

1. What are the two lowest production Charlow models,? Name the blade config, covers, how many of each were made, and when.

2. Of the pile side pen models, which cover materials did they have, and of those, which had the lower production?

3. What is a French Nick?
A) a Croissant
B) a Long Pull
C) a Matchstriker

For question number 1. I will venture this {: 1 of 1= spear main, with pen, nick on pile side, pre ban XXXXX, 5/4/13
: 1 of 1= Spear main, with pen, nick on pile side, harlequin covers, 5/4/13
( mis matched covers )}

{ : 9 of 9= Macassar ebony, with pen, nick on mark side, 12/5/12}

for question number three I will say : A, croissant

Awesome job on the recap Jon! :thumbup: That must have taken some time and effort to put together:eek:

Wow, Jon, thanks for putting this all together. Very informative to say the least, especially for a beginner trying to learn the history side.

This should be a sticky!!!

Cheers

dave

pre ban XXXXX, 5/4/13

Thanks for playing instant recall Duane

I can see there are more answers to the questions than I considered

for #1 the XXXXX one of one pen behind spear in Ivory is definitely true, I had not thought of that, and Pertinux's Harlequin is a one of one too.

and your second answer is the same one I got
9 of 9= Macassar ebony, with pen, nick on mark side, 12/5/12

Here is the second answer I had thought of for the lowest production run, The single spear Gabon Ebony, that was made at the same time as the pen behind, 4/17/13 I think

3/31/13
GEC Bill was making some Spear Boy's and mentioned I had a few pieces of Gabon, and other Barlow parts - enough for 9 Barlows with Spears!

For question #2, I originally was thinking the shortest production run after the 9 Dec2012 macassar, and the 9 April2013 gabon single spear, would be the pile side pens behind Spear, of which I think the Gabon Ebony ended up being fewer than the Redbone.

4/4/13
There is a short run of Pile-Pen Spears coming up at the end of April, for those who had a problem with the Mark-Pen Spears.... Just 100 knives. Half Ebony, Half Sawcut.

4/17/13
Sawcut Redbone, Blaine. In a week! Pen blade behind the SPEAR!!

4/17/13
P&G, that's the same batch of Ebony! But it's also the last of it.
I think about 45 knives are Ebony in this batch, and the rest are Redbone.

I note that the pile side pen behind Spear that I just received is labeled Rust Red Jig Bone, and has 2 different covers, one has very fine diagonal sawcuts, and the other the coarser diagonal cut.

I actually started this thread in order to figure out which run these different sawcuts come from:
I now believe the coarse cut is Charlies request in April 13, to cut deeper.
pictured is my tan soupbone clip and both sides of my pile pen spear redbone
IMG_9316.PNG

IMG_9324.PNG

Now I realize there are also very small numbers of Soupbone single Clip and even smaller numbers, quantity not currently know, of Soupbone single Spear

4/4/13
I am trying to get GEC to do a run of Marrow Bones!!

4/28/13
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u381/pertinux/TC%20Barlow/Saddle%20Red%20Rust%20Brown/MarrowC.jpg:original[IMG][/QUOTE]

4/28/13 [quote="waynorth, post: 12137332"]Those "innie/outies" are the last of the Spear and Clip blades for this year! (There's hope for your wallet yet Mr. Bad!)
Spaced out over the next 7-8 months you will see the Sheepfoot, Spey and Razor Mains, probably in that order.[/QUOTE]

The soupbone monicker was your suggestion btw :-), it stuck.
4/29/13 [quote="sitflyer, post: 12139009"]Soup Bone![/QUOTE]

The multiple choice question 3, a French Nick is a Long Pull, an alternative to a Crescent Nick. Matchstrikes can be both on a Crescent and a Long Pull

[url]http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/430475/post/430622/[/url] by Bernard Levine
The long pull seems to have appeared some time in the middle part of the 19th century. I doubt there is a real French connection (in the trade these were sometimes called "French nail nick" as opposed to "common nail nick"

and GEC's terminology page
[url]http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pocket-knives/knife-terminology/[/url]
Nail Mark
A fingernail groove near the back of a pocket knife blade which provides a fingernail grip for opening the knife. A “common” nail mark is shaped like a half moon. A “French” nail mark is straight and long, parallel to the straight side of the back of the blade. Either common or French nail marks may be decorated with a gimp in the lower or front edge. Some persons refer to these as “match striker” nail marks.

Last edited:
I count 5 different styles of saw cuts,

Type 1
12/3/12

12/4/12
The first one off the line!!
TCfin3.jpg

Type 2
12/7/12
They got a deeper sawcut on this one
169.jpg

12/12/12

Type 3
2/27/13
Some say a better Barlow has Redbone on it. My little spy managed to sneak out a pic of an unfinished scale! Looks promising!!
016_zps65d75394.jpg

2/28/13
The very first one off the line!!!
TC0078_zps491d34da.jpg

4/8/13

Type 4
2/27/13

4/25/13
And finally, here's a pic of the Rust Red variations. The previous batch rep is in the middle. The two outside ones (new spears) were dyed longer, without an "overcoat".
TCpenback4_zps71900190.jpg

Type 5
12/3/13

Last edited:
Back