Charlow Barlow History

Primble, Old post of yours but perhaps you have an answer, what does the “EC” stand for in the 2014 run of TC’s numbered “152114EC” ?? I thought EC was for “end cap” but clearly that doesn’t apply here. Thanks in advance (I also asked on the general Barlow forum). Mark
I think waynorth waynorth would know the answer.

Primble, Old post of yours but perhaps you have an answer, what does the “EC” stand for in the 2014 run of TC’s numbered “152114EC” ?? I thought EC was for “end cap” but clearly that doesn’t apply here. Thanks in advance (I also asked on the general Barlow forum). Mark
152114EC the EC is a typo. The EC or End Cap was on the Radio Jack as 152214EC. Here’s a photo of one of the TC’s, 152114.

16628160445_d18d0f2c3f_b_d.jpg

I think it is likely a typo that got copied as I revised each list, when new releases were made. It seems a remote possibility that maybe the tube tops could have been mis-marked with the EC suffix when I think back on it, but, can't really say for sure. I don't have any left of that model to verify. I ain't getting any younger, so my memory ain't helping. :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
152114EC the EC is a typo. The EC or End Cap was on the Radio Jack as 152214EC. Here’s a photo of one of the TC’s, 152114.

16628160445_d18d0f2c3f_b_d.jpg

I have a few beauties from 2014 myself including a couple TCs. While true the Diamond Radio Jack carries the "152214EC" number on the tube cap and in the production list on GEC's website, the blade itself doesn't include the "EC" (likewise the TC's don't include "STL" as is indicated on tube caps and in production totals). These letter codes are kind of odd and seem very inconsistent to me. Aren't all TCs made of steel? Yet some years have the "STL" in the codes and others do not (2014 vs. 2016 for instance). Anyway, going to go with general feeling that "EC" is a typo in the 2014 production totals for 152214s (likely was meant to be "STL" like the other TCs).

upload_2019-6-28_10-23-7-jpeg.1152438

...and the blade of the "152114" TC I just purchased from a fellow forum member (not my photos as I haven't received yet). No "EC" on blade OR tube cap (as expected); however, no "STL" on either either (that reads odd but I think it is grammatically correct:confused:). Again, these letters in the codes leave me a bit confused.

2f5d4e06-7aa1-45da-929c-73c67bc347e8-jpeg.1170557

...and the blade of the "152114" TC I just purchased from a fellow forum member (not my photos as I haven't received yet). No "EC" on blade OR tube cap (as expected); however, no "STL" on either either (that reads odd but I think it is grammatically correct:confused:). Again, these letters in the codes leave me a bit confused.

I have never seen EC or STL on the blade, only the tube cap. The end caps labels were all hand printed by one person, mistakes were made.

I think it is likely a typo that got copied as I revised each list, when new releases were made. It seems a remote possibility that maybe the tube tops could have been mis-marked with the EC suffix when I think back on it, but, can't really say for sure. I don't have any left of that model to verify. I ain't getting any younger, so my memory ain't helping. :rolleyes::D
Hey Primble, it's a pleasure to hear your voice young feller!!!:)

I have never seen EC or STL on the blade, only the tube cap. The end caps labels were all hand printed by one person, mistakes were made.

Its not on the tube caps, it is in the 2014 production totals on GEC's website.

Genuine Barlow #152114EC

Blood Red Jig Bone 38 pcs.

Chestnut Jig Bone 38 pcs.

Gabon Ebony Wood 80 pcs.

American Walnut Wood 40 pcs.

3rd Cut Stag 18 pcs.

Hey Primble, it's a pleasure to hear your voice young feller!!!:)

and yours as well my friend !!! I see you have remained busy (have already noticed your WAYNORTH tang stamps) to say the least.

I could go back through the thread here and edit each list to eliminate the EC problem if you guys or gals wish. The actual knife tangs were never stamped with EC or STL anyway. I can see where it causes new collectors or others some confusion. I believe, as Charlie says, we discussed it long ago and left it alone. Well .......... history needs to be correct or the errors get copied mistakenly over and over and over. I would vote for me revising the EC out of the lists. Some of you avid TC collectors think about it and post what you think about revising the EC errors out of our lists and post your opinion. If Charlie thinks we should, I will be happy to do so. After all, the TC's are his children and he is the great knife historian in my mind, so his vote counts the most. :)

I will keep an eye on the thread and do what you guys decide. :cool:

I have a few beauties from 2014 myself including a couple TCs. While true the Diamond Radio Jack carries the "152214EC" number on the tube cap and in the production list on GEC's website, the blade itself doesn't include the "EC" (likewise the TC's don't include "STL" as is indicated on tube caps and in production totals). These letter codes are kind of odd and seem very inconsistent to me. Aren't all TCs made of steel? Yet some years have the "STL" in the codes and others do not (2014 vs. 2016 for instance). Anyway, going to go with general feeling that "EC" is a typo in the 2014 production totals for 152214s (likely was meant to be "STL" like the other TCs).

upload_2019-6-28_10-23-7-jpeg.1152438

I don’t think they ever put the letter designations on the tangs either. The only “EC’S” I’ve ever seen were preceded by a “G”. Those are some nice ones Markeologist Markeologist

and yours as well my friend !!! I see you have remained busy (have already noticed your WAYNORTH tang stamps) to say the least.

I could go back through the thread here and edit each list to eliminate the EC problem if you guys or gals wish. The actual knife tangs were never stamped with EC or STL anyway. I can see where it causes new collectors or others some confusion. I believe, as Charlie says, we discussed it long ago and left it alone. Well .......... history needs to be correct or the errors get copied mistakenly over and over and over. I would vote for me revising the EC out of the lists. Some of you avid TC collectors think about it and post what you think about revising the EC errors out of our lists and post your opinion. If Charlie thinks we should, I will be happy to do so. After all, the TC's are his children and he is the great knife historian in my mind, so his vote counts the most. :)

I believe you have the best idea Mr Primble, and my vote would be to have the list edited IF it is not to big a pain. Less confusion that way.
Dave

I'd love to see it made easier for newer collectors!!! If you would Rob, that would be great!!:thumbsup:

All lists in this thread have now been edited to eliminate the EC errors from the 2014 spearpoints. Now some will wonder what we have been talking about. :eek::D

I am going to try to update the list and make it current in the very near future. I need help on this (since I have been MIA ) from the informed - releases since the ancients back in late 2015. :)

All lists in this thread have now been edited to eliminate the EC errors from the 2014 spearpoints. Now some will wonder what we have been talking about. :eek::D

I am going to try to update the list and make it current in the very near future. I need help on this (since I have been MIA ) from the informed - releases since the ancients back in late 2015. :)

I'll see what I can do to give you a hand. :D
Dave

I don’t think they ever put the letter designations on the tangs either. The only “EC’S” I’ve ever seen were preceded by a “G”. Those are some nice ones Markeologist Markeologist

Sorry all, I never thought these suffixes were on the blades (or wondered why they were "absent")...I have several 15s from various years with "official" numbers that include these suffixes (on tube caps and in production data) and I am intimately familiar with the fact that the suffixes are absent from their blades.

Another apology, I never meant for anybody to have to go back into these pages to make edits. I simply wanted information on the "EC" issue. As I stated elsewhere, these letter suffixes leave me a bit confused. For instance, why do some TCs from some years (like 2014) have the "STL" suffix while TCs from other years don't?

Since you Primble had done so much in these forums on TCs, you were a natural for me to reach out to (plus it was your TC photos which really hooked me on these beautiful knives, very glad to see you posting). My inclination would be to leave these pages as you had originally written. As I indicated previously, the "EC" is found in GEC's own production data, and that is the primary source of the data. Non-readers of these pages will still be confused by GEC's error in their production records. I think this discussion including Mr. CCs statement that the "EC" suffix for these TCs was an error is sufficient enough.

Second knife down is so very cool. :cool::thumbsup:
Do you have any more pictures of that one?

Thanks much...that is my most prized GEC 15...though it is a very close call. Here are the mark sides of three of the knives from that photo. Since this is the Charlow forum, the photo needs to include one of Mr. CC's finest TCs front and center...the covers on this one are truly exquisite! The Diamond Radio Jack is another contender for the title, another homerun from Mr. CC. I've posted photos of this special Beer Scout elsewhere but suffice to say it is one of only three blood red sawcut Beer Scouts and one of only 10 Beer Scouts made with a spear point...a true grail.

upload_2019-6-23_10-47-31-jpeg.1149759

Thanks much...that is my most prized GEC 15...though it is a very close call. Here are the mark sides of three of the knives from that photo. Since this is the Charlow forum, the photo needs to include one of Mr. CC's finest TCs front and center...the covers on this one are truly exquisite! The Diamond Radio Jack is another contender for the title, another homerun from Mr. CC. I've posted photos of this special Beer Scout elsewhere but suffice to say it is one of only three blood red sawcut Beer Scouts and one of only 10 Beer Scouts made with a spear point...a true grail.

upload_2019-6-23_10-47-31-jpeg.1149759
Oh... A spear point Beer Scout... Very cool indeed. :cool::thumbsup:

Back