Charnley Forest stone

It had been used and this helped to cover up it's color. So, when I got it home I leveled it and it's color came out. I used the ACE Hardware SiC
stone, coarse & fine with a lot of water. Now I have a nice flat stone with good color. I'll take my double edge blade to it and tune it up for a shave. DM

Ok, I've now had the chance to give this Charnley Forest a test run. I took a Feathers double edge Used blade to it, having 10-11 shaves on it.
The last shave with it was shaving sluggish and I was having to use more pressure. So, I took the blade to it using H20 and a backhoning
stroke. I gave it 40 on each edge then 10, 7, 5 & 5 to remove the burr. Then checked it and didn't think it was quite there so I did it again.
It felt better this time and I then did a full shave on a 2 day beard. No stropping, just off the stone. I used our local goat's milk soap, Udder Delight for a good lather. This gave an exceptionally close, smooth shave. Better than when the blade was New. So, the feed back about this stone is accurate. It is a great stand alone stone for shaving. DM

Last edited:
Ok, I've now had the chance to give this Charnley Forest a test run. I took a Feathers double edge Used blade to it, having 10-11 shaves on it.
The last shave with it was shaving sluggish and I was having to use more pressure. So, I took the blade to it using H20 and a backhoning
stroke. I gave it 40 on each edge then 10, 7, 5 & 5 to remove the burr. Then checked it and didn't think it was quite there so I did it again.
It felt better this time and I then did a full shave on a 2 day beard. No stropping, just off the stone. I used our local goat's milk soap, Udder Delight for a good lather. This gave an exceptionally close, smooth shave. Better than when the blade was New. So, the feed back about this stone is accurate. It is a great stand alone stone for shaving. DM

Interesting write up. How do you hold and orient a double edge blade while sharpening and/or stropping it. I have the Shapton stuff up to 30,000 grit. It might be fun to play with.

I use the method straight razor folks use, 4-5 (what matches the edge angle) layers of electric tape folded over the spine of the blade. In this case folded over the opposite edge. Using something like this one can bring to life a double edge blade indefinitely. DM

Back