Charoite Slip Joint

Beauty and the beast.
Have you ever noticed how often those things that are the most beautiful are also the most dangerous. I won't make the comparison to all the lovely ladies out there but it certainly is true in this case. Charoite is in the asbestos family and therefore has all those lovely but dangerous fibers inherent in it. It makes a beautiful stone but you don't want to work it without the proper PPE.
This knife was a special order from a lovely lady I met at the Spirit of Blade show, she wanted a Charoite show piece but could not find either the right stone or the right maker. She asked if I would give it a try. Big thanks to Tony Funk for finding the right slab of Charoite.
This is the result.
3 1/4 inches closed, 5 3/4 inches open. The blade and back are 154 CPM, the body including the integral front and rear bolsters are 416.
She asked for a very easy pull.
The Charoite is polished to 60,000 grit.
Your comments are always appreciated.
Thanks
SteveSandy-Charoite-Slippy-1.jpg Sandy-Charoite-Slippy-2.jpg Sandy-Charoite-Slippy-3.jpg Sandy-Charoite-Slippy-4.jpg

Very nicely done mate.
The colour really pops out, well done.
Mitch

Svanderkolff, It caught my attention as there is a brief article about them in the May 2019 issue of "Blade" magazine. John

Back