Chat! Stop By and Say Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
might be getting a Nor'Easter here over the weekend, but my Persians should be arriving tomorrow! Nothing can dampen my mood...'cept when I have to send them out to Thailand and wait until February till Nath is done with them. Argh.

Gooey, Nathan is a maestro with the Emerson pimping!Those Persians are going to be worth any wait you may endure.
SNOW?! I love snow! Jen and I are waiting for it to snow up in the Sierras so we can go snow camping. COME ON SNOW!!!!
Xander, Nice cameras ! I know you are super pumped.
Y'all have a good one!

yeah, he did my CQC-10. it's a beast.

IMG_20130814_121421_887_zpse29a7170.jpg

IMG_20130812_141506_987_zpsf9872a18.jpg

I'm having him do something different with the Persian & Journeyman though :)

Did some finishing touches on the new workbench. It looks so clean! Finally replaced all my rusted screwdrivers too, and topped it off with some Channellocks:

Now... this weekend... onto this mess...

*shudder*

Hope everyones night is going well. It's absolutely pouring here! Daniel, where those pics at! :D

Nice looking shop!!!

Gooeytek that is looking good!

FBC... gmail keeps shutting down on me today... 3/4" wheel will work, never done one under 2" but it will do the trick, will be a seriously radical grind!

I do need some pics, yesterday we literally spent half the day packing knives to mail it was epic! I'm kind of proud to say I'm selling to China, Singapore, England and Australia this week alone. :D

Today I took the day off, did absolutely nothing! that was a first but was nice! I'm pumped to get in the shop, had to make myself hold off. :D

Hey, how do you guys figure the best way to accurately fold a sheet of copper for a higonokami would be?

Hey, how do you guys figure the best way to accurately fold a sheet of copper for a higonokami would be?
Off the top of my head,I would try starting with a oversize piece and fold it over a bar of steel that is the thickness of your blade stock. Use a block of soft wood to hammer on to keep the denting down to a minimum unless that is the look you are going for.
Farchyld, Your shop looks great!
Gooey, that 10 is a 10!:thumbup:
Daniel, I did it yesterday and it came out wicked! Jen liked it so much she took it to work to show it off.:D I will send you a pic.

We used to use wood clamps (this kind) sometimes with two pieces of hardwood board in them - if a longer piece was being worked on

JC2.gif

to hold the metal on one side, then use a small steel anvil (2lb) or so, as a support to bend the overhanging metal up 90 ish degrees (rock the wood clamp towards the anvil.

Mimics this process:
Swing-folding-ani.gif

Then remove and work it down with a rubber mallet and a table vise. Don't forget to factor in your bend allowance for the thickness of the metal (a blade blank is a good idea, but you also need the BA for the copper).

Hmm, thanks. What would you guys use for steel? 1095 isn't exactly traditional, but might be nice with some acid etching here...

Hi Daniel and the Aficionados. I just found this subforum tonight, read through some of the threads, then moved over to the website. I really dig your work. I assume by some of the photos that you are embracing the japanese blade styles? It is impressive, and amazing. I really like the D2 stuff with the Rayskin and the 5160 Steel Kiridashis. I really enjoy those types of tools. Well, after seeing the website, I just had to post here. I have been looking into making a kiridashi style EDC for myself, but your designs make me just want to buy it instead :D

Would you be willing to PM me about those tools including price points? I'm not looking for any great detail, I mean, your pics speak VOLUMES to me. I'm just curious and might want to buy is all.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mornin gang!

Welcome TD!

Day off again today! Gonna go shoot the Leica and check things out. The optics are near perfect!!! After a test roll of Kodak Gold or Fuji Superia I think I'm gonna throw some Fuji Velva 50 and go downtown with it! And a big knife too, dnt wanna get jacked, you know?!

-X

Hmm, thanks. What would you guys use for steel? 1095 isn't exactly traditional, but might be nice with some acid etching here...

1095 would be great... W2 also for hamon... 52100 or W2 are close to blue and white steels respectively.

Sounds cool!

On the bending I thought about it for a while but am not completely sure... I'd anneal a couple of times (get red hot and water quench) over the bending process to keep it strong then tap/tumble to work harden.

Hi Daniel and the Aficionados. I just found this subforum tonight, read through some of the threads, then moved over to the website. I really dig your work. I assume by some of the photos that you are embracing the japanese blade styles? It is impressive, and amazing. I really like the D2 stuff with the Rayskin and the 5160 Steel Kiridashis. I really enjoy those types of tools. Well, after seeing the website, I just had to post here. I have been looking into making a kiridashi style EDC for myself, but your designs make me just want to buy it instead :D

Would you be willing to PM me about those tools including price points? I'm not looking for any great detail, I mean, your pics speak VOLUMES to me. I'm just curious and might want to buy is all.

Thanks

Much appreciated! Great to hear, the Japanese styles are a huge influence for me so thanks!

As far as sales go I make as many as I can and put them up here as I go... here's some info

a kiridashi run will be soon as I just chopped the steel, they run $85 shipped - 5160 steel and custom kydex sheath!
D2 tantos - will make more and they are roughly $225-275 depending on options (leather, kydex, etc)
keychain tools - $43-47 shipped... I hope to do another run by early December

I hope this helps ans PM or email me anytime, I am always happy to help. Thanks again for the kind words!

Welcome! ^
Daniel- You've gone Global??!!
Righteous!!!
rolf

:D Fun stuff...

Mornin gang!

Welcome TD!

Day off again today! Gonna go shoot the Leica and check things out. The optics are near perfect!!! After a test roll of Kodak Gold or Fuji Superia I think I'm gonna throw some Fuji Velva 50 and go downtown with it! And a big knife too, dnt wanna get jacked, you know?!

-X

Nice! That camera is a work of art. I hope to see some pics!

We have a ton of snow here, it is just nuts! 3" or so on the ground! You guys have a good one!

Happy Friday guys!

TD, Welcome to DFK.

Lots of snow? Time to have some fun, Daniel?!:D
On my way to work and y'all have a good one!

Good morning y'all.
Sbakker, If you have a sheetmetal or heating / AC shop near you , you could go ask them if they would help you out by bending the copper handle for you. They will have a sheet metal break that would give you a nice straight/ clean bend. I'm not sure what the effect of cold bending copper would have on strength though. If you show up with beer they might be willing to go that extra mile and heat it up while bending it. Good luck with your project, it sounds like it is going to be awesome!
Xander, You are getting a nice pile of cameras there. I still really like the crusty looking one. I still need to go with you one day so you can teach me how to use my old Canon.
Tdhurl, Welcome to the DFK spot.Daniel's knives perform as well as they look.
Rolf, did you get my email?
Farchyld, I'm sending you a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back