Chaves 228 Midtech

FireStrings85

Gold Member
Just got a brand new Chaves 228 midtech. Anyone here have one? Is the lock-up engagement really stiff on yours? Either I am a pussy with weak thumb strength or this really needs to be broken in... I cannot close with the same hand holding the blade.

Yeah, that lock up is super hard. Iv'e heard they get better with use. We shall see my thumb is sore as hell right now. lol

Yeah, that lock up is super hard. Iv'e heard they get better with use. We shall see my thumb is sore as hell right now. lol

How do you like yours so far? I see alot of people "Catch and release" these knives lately and makes me worry they aren't performing as well as some expected. The thick blade stock makes me hesitate, but its a damn good looking knife. An honest review/opinion would be appreciated as well as your typical daily carry. Also what type of environment do you typically carry in- rural, urban etc. ?

Thanks

I had one and I really did like it. It's nice to take pocket dump pics and fondle and it's great eye candy. I think for me I was thinking, man this $500 pocket knife is really sweet but I'm constantly reaching for __________ instead. For me it was a plain Jane spyderco military.

Then I thought, "what's an EDC folder for". Daily slicing, opening packages, cutting cord, generally light duty stuff. So why a big thick heavy pretty piece?

I sold mine and I still carry a thin slicing EDC and spend more money on fixed blades. Because they do the important work.

So yeah, they are great. They're stiff until you break them in. But at the end of the day, the thick folder thing isn't practical.

I had one and I really did like it. It's nice to take pocket dump pics and fondle and it's great eye candy. I think for me I was thinking, man this $500 pocket knife is really sweet but I'm constantly reaching for __________ instead. For me it was a plain Jane spyderco military.

Then I thought, "what's an EDC folder for". Daily slicing, opening packages, cutting cord, generally light duty stuff. So why a big thick heavy pretty piece?

I sold mine and I still carry a thin slicing EDC and spend more money on fixed blades. Because they do the important work.

So yeah, they are great. They're stiff until you break them in. But at the end of the day, the thick folder thing isn't practical.

Exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks for your input. I will probably get an olamic wayfarer Instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks for your input. I will probably get an olamic wayfarer Instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back