Cheap and Cheerful Traditionals.

And oklahoma as of a few years ago, they have been getting more popular locally as a result. Knife rights have made a lot of headway making switches legal again in many states. :thumbsup:

If it's small enough it's legal here in California, it would be nice if the limit was dropped.

I love the inexpensive knives that ordinary folks use and carry everyday around the world :) :thumbsup:

uGiuR1O.jpg

5XxJrKq.jpg

dT7SPro.jpg

zkvbYPI.jpg

NGhvGB1.jpg

vsUj9p6.jpg

IWTWmtm.jpg

KvhqwpG.jpg

Zmu2jol.jpg

0Z0Y47X.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure how I feel about this one. The spring and liners seem to be formed together from a single piece of stamped metal, and the bail makes a cheap tinny clinking noise. The overall handle quality seems to be about on par with your average pair of nail clippers, and the pull is very stiff. The blade, however, is very good and stout with no play in any direction, and the carbon steel (1055 I think) holds a nice edge. I think I would carry it a lot more if it wasn’t so hard to open.
PovfQtn.jpg

The colonial ranger stockmans are good too. Nice thin blades that cut better than a lot of other knives out there, and sharpen with extreme ease. 1075 steel I think. The blades and frame on these have nice husky looking proportions that I like. It is also a three spring which is a little different from most stockmans. Around five bucks or so for this one. Hard to beat that value.

View attachment 1117712
I'm 99% positive there's a black ranger stockman like this in an 11$ 10 knife lot I've got coming from eBay.
Utica and Colonial were two names mentioned as makes, but nothing was specified which is why I got it so cheap.
Looks to be carbon steel and In excellent using condition.
Maybe it'll turn me onto the stockman pattern

Last edited:
I just got a Chinese made kissing crane single blade barlow at a yard sale about 30 minutes ago with the exact same cover material as that RR. Kinda confirmed my suspicion that it is made in the same factory. Pics inbound as soon as I can take them and upload,but like Jack my service is being wonky.

Last edited:
I have and mostly edc and use these inexpensive traditional knives,and find them more useful than new ,expensive,overbuilt and sometimes useless modern offerings.These knives have thinner blades with basic and time proven blade shapes and steels that are easy to sharpen and maintain and to lose them or brake is not a big deal,and theyre also sheeple friendly to use in public.I edc okapi right now,and after blade regrind its amazing cutter,doesnt hold edge for long but is super easy to sharpen or touch up.Also opinels cant be beat for price and cutting ability out of box,along with victorinox saks(most useful knife ever).Have couple douk douks,3mercators ,few Case and rough rider knives too,theyre all rotated and serve me very well.

I’m not sure how I feel about this one. The spring and liners seem to be formed together from a single piece of stamped metal, and the bail makes a cheap tinny clinking noise. The overall handle quality seems to be about on par with your average pair of nail clippers, and the pull is very stiff. The blade, however, is very good and stout with no play in any direction, and the carbon steel (1055 I think) holds a nice edge. I think I would carry it a lot more if it wasn’t so hard to open.
PovfQtn.jpg

What is this model called? It is a new one on me. The only Okapis I have seen have the external back spring. Of these, the winner in my book is the Biltong, with its snappy sheepsfoot blade. There is one in my pocket every day.

98941BE5-9F57-463C-B128-A46A9B98F118.jpeg 6AAE8258-3CBB-40D5-A3B9-0F97CF87C10D.jpeg

Back