1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cheap and Cheerful Traditionals.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Just Tom., Apr 25, 2019.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    If it's small enough it's legal here in California, it would be nice if the limit was dropped.

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I love the inexpensive knives that ordinary folks use and carry everyday around the world :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Jak3, Prester John, Frailer and 15 others like this.
  3. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Imperial hammer brand cattle knife, 1938-1941 stamp.

IMG_4158.JPG

4. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's a good one Gev, been trying to upload pics of mine for the past 30 minutes o_O :thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  7. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    One of my favorites and too bad out of production ? I put mine in my pocket for a little work around here. Dag nab those finicky connections ! Gice Scruff a hello for me !

[​IMG]

8. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    I’m not sure how I feel about this one. The spring and liners seem to be formed together from a single piece of stamped metal, and the bail makes a cheap tinny clinking noise. The overall handle quality seems to be about on par with your average pair of nail clippers, and the pull is very stiff. The blade, however, is very good and stout with no play in any direction, and the carbon steel (1055 I think) holds a nice edge. I think I would carry it a lot more if it wasn’t so hard to open.
    [​IMG]

Jak3, Henry Beige, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  9. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    You would think with a name like CastorAitor it would at least have a spey blade... :D:rolleyes:

Prester John and zolthar like this.
  10. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    :p:p:p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    :eek:;)

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm 99% positive there's a black ranger stockman like this in an 11$ 10 knife lot I've got coming from eBay.
    Utica and Colonial were two names mentioned as makes, but nothing was specified which is why I got it so cheap.
    Looks to be carbon steel and In excellent using condition.
    Maybe it'll turn me onto the stockman pattern

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I just got a Chinese made kissing crane single blade barlow at a yard sale about 30 minutes ago with the exact same cover material as that RR. Kinda confirmed my suspicion that it is made in the same factory. Pics inbound as soon as I can take them and upload,but like Jack my service is being wonky.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Prester John likes this.
  14. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Here's the Chinese Kissing Crane, looked them up, they go for about 10 bucks. Looks to be made in the same factory as Rough Rider, overall its a pretty good knife. Edge could use a reprofile,needs thinned down some.

15. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Imperials. Imps002 (Large).jpg

16. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I have and mostly edc and use these inexpensive traditional knives,and find them more useful than new ,expensive,overbuilt and sometimes useless modern offerings.These knives have thinner blades with basic and time proven blade shapes and steels that are easy to sharpen and maintain and to lose them or brake is not a big deal,and theyre also sheeple friendly to use in public.I edc okapi right now,and after blade regrind its amazing cutter,doesnt hold edge for long but is super easy to sharpen or touch up.Also opinels cant be beat for price and cutting ability out of box,along with victorinox saks(most useful knife ever).Have couple douk douks,3mercators ,few Case and rough rider knives too,theyre all rotated and serve me very well.

Cutfinger, Henry Beige and JohnDF like this.
  17. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001

Lovely knife Gev.

They do exert a pull, don't they?

The most expensive knife in this bunch is the lambsfoot, and it wasn't expensive at all.

[​IMG]

Llasi, Just Tom., JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Here's a cheap and cheerful traditional:
    [​IMG]

19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

What is this model called? It is a new one on me. The only Okapis I have seen have the external back spring. Of these, the winner in my book is the Biltong, with its snappy sheepsfoot blade. There is one in my pocket every day.

98941BE5-9F57-463C-B128-A46A9B98F118.jpeg 6AAE8258-3CBB-40D5-A3B9-0F97CF87C10D.jpeg

JohnDF, Just Tom., Cutfinger and 2 others like this.
  20. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Three of them, $24 shipped. moras.jpg