Cheap EDC for student journalist

Hello everyone!

I am looking for good, cheap EDC to carry for basic use. By day I am a journalist and a student so most of my cutting tasks would be opening boxes etc., but I also enjoy hiking and camping so I would like a knife that I could use for more rugged activities. I am also planning on traveling to Europe in September so I would like a knife that I could stash in my checked bag and carry with little or no suspicion/issue.

These are my criteria:
Emerson wave, flipper or assisted
Under 4oz
Looks cool
Liner or frame lock
2.7-3.25"
Sharp steel with good edge retention
Under $50

So far I've liked at the Kershaw Skyline (I used to own the damascus version until I lost it like an idiot), leek, emerson cqc-5k and CRKT Ripple.

What do you guys think?

TBH, I wouldn't try to carry any type of locking folder in Europe. The only type of knife I might consider taking would be a basic, small, non-locking Swiss Army knife. Unfortunately, that doesn't fit your criteria.

Jim

Europeans surrendered their rights a long time ago. I would not carry a large locking knife, if it were me. A Spyderco Urban LW or UKPK would be a great choice. The Victorinox Pioneer would be my next choice. (you might also check out an Esee Candiru)

Are members of blade forums actually telling me not to carry a knife :eek::p ?!

I thought the rules were under 3" and you had to have a reason to carry the knife (which could sort of be anything) if it was a locking blade. The kershaw emerson 5 and leek are both 3" so don't they fit? Or is it really that strict across the pond?

Ontario 8848 RAT folding knife.

$27.03 on Amazon right now. There are others but this is tough to beat.

There are some nice Kershaws in the same price range.

Happy searching!

Are members of blade forums actually telling me not to carry a knife :eek::p ?!
Not this member :) . I rolled around Los Angeles (Mid-Wilshire) today packing a BRS Alpha Beast Infinity. About as illegal a carry as it gets under CA law. Just use common sense, be discrete and carry what you will.

I don't know the knife laws in different countries. I thought it was illegal to carry a locking knife in the UK. Personally, I keep a LM Juice in my checked luggage and then switch it to my toiletries bag at my hotel. I think slip joint SAK's are legal in most places.

You can laugh at what's legal and what's not in different states or different countries, just don't complain if you get fined, your knife confiscated, or even jail time.

If you'll be going to Europe where locking bladed folders can't be carried then why not just get a Victorinox Swiss army knife ?
They're inexpensive, high quality, they're a classic knife that you have to own to be considered a knife enthusiast, they're extremely sheeple friendly, and best of all they're so useful for more than just cutting things.
IMHO the classic iconic model is probably the venerable tinker which only costs 20$.

I've got a swiss army knife and a multi-tool that I use on occasion and they work out but they are a bit heavy in my pocket. Additionally, the Swiss army knife doesn't have a clip so it keeps falling out of my pockets all the time. I want something light and small that I can carry around freely and unobtrusively.

Anyone know the rationale behind why locking blades are banned? It seems to me that they are actually safer because they won't fold up on your hand. And you could stab someone just as well with a slip blade.

If I wasn't to take a knife to Europe what would y'all recommend based on my criteria?

Not much point in wondering or debating why different places have different laws.

As for travel, Spyderco does a bunch of very good, very safe for carry knives. If I was to recommend a fully europe safe one, I'd say get a pingo. If you know in advance of where you are going, then you can get a UKPK (one-hand doesn't work for some countries, and over length in some) or look at the other offerings. My last trip I pocket carried my Roadie, and had a Vic Explorer in my backpack, germany, ireland and england. Felt confident that those would cover what I needed, and not cause me trouble.

Think about jsut hitting a store for a cheap knife once you get to Europe. You would be sure it was legal that way.

Europe isn't the UK, knife and gun laws vary country to country. I've lived in Germany almost a decade and a half and I own one knife that is legal for me to carry and that's my fixed blade. I've been through a couple DUI check points both times I had my auto in my pocket and both times the cops played with it and handed it back. That is not to say that they couldn't have done more but in my experience is give them no drama they give you none in return.

When you get here you're going to find that if you want a SAC they make them with pocket clips here so maybe just wait and pick up something unique while here.

In the $50 price range your going to get the common stuff 8cr13mov, aus 8, 440c mostly. Vg10 will hold an edge better then those but not many knives in vg10 for under $50. Serrated h1 is the best edge holding steel around in all of spyderco's cut testing. I would say get a serrated h1 knife the Manbug is about $40 and is a ton of cutting power. But the best EDC user knife is the dragonfly I think they are just over $50. I would spend the extra $6 and get the dragonfly h1. Its amazing and IMO the best EDC knife ever made. Its super light, very easy to sharpen if you have a rod or the sharpmaker and keeps and edge longer and longer each time its sharpened. Also its rust proof. For cutting tasks serrated h1 is king and the dragonfly is the best example of it. nice thin blade and the serrations are smaller than the larger salt knives so its a better slicer than say the Salt 2 or pacific's.

If you wanted a wave knife, how about a Kershaw emerson, they have the wave and are dirt cheap most are under $30 I think.

I vote for a Buck 301. Non-locking, steel that shouldn't give you any problems, and you could probably throw it at a brick wall a few dozen times and it'll still work(I don't suggest that, though).

There's a lot of good choices in that price range but.. They're all locking knives(the UKPK is a great choice). As a tourist I don't think I'd risk carrying something illegal.

For something non-threatening, probably legal most places, easy to carry, and inexpensive enough that you won't cry if it gets lost or confiscated or whatever, it's hard to beat the alox Cadet (which conveniently also has a beer opener for important beer-opening tasks that you may be faced with in Europe).

Incidentally, I think the SAK is completely legal in Poland (which is a lovely country and which also has pretty much zero jihad these days, which is a major plus).

Back