Cheap knives

All this 'good stuff', 'cheap stuff' talk is giving away everyone's other hobbies. ;)

Like that Rollin Rock there for instance. :D

Interesting read everyone, thanks for the posts. I think it's safe to say that anyone reading through this post has a love for knives whether it be from a user standpoint, a collector's standpoint or a combination of the two. Personally I have a small aluminum Victorinox SAK as my EDC, an old Schrade Walden pruner I use for breaking down boxes and an Ulster camp knife I use when screwing around in the garage or basement. Those are the only knives I own that I actually use until they need to be replaced and they will be replaced by similar knives. So with that said, all the other knives I own are for collecting only and my passion is for anything 40 to 50 years old or greater. I do not even look at any of the Taylor Brand, Bear & Sons, Rough Riders, etc. mentioned in this thread and to take it a step further I have also learned which of the old knives to stay away from as far as quality goes like some of the shell handle Imperial Knives or the most recent Ulsters (which are basically Imperials LoL). I hate it when I get a knife in hand and it just feels cheap... but that is me, from the "old knife" collector side of the spectrum. On the flip side, my wife owns pretty much every knife available that has a John Deere logo on it or any psychedelic cracked ice celluloid knife she can find on that big online auction site. It doesn't matter to her if it's a gas pump shaped Franklin Mint knife, or one made in China, Vermont or Poland... if she likes the look of it, she will buy it regardless of quality and especially for a cheap price. Again, she is not an everyday user of pocket knives but she loves collecting them and especially giving them away to family members including the kids. So just in my household alone we have two collectors of knives with completely different motives or tastes in what we spend our money on but one thing is certain... we both love the hobby and when we get a new one we will both give it a good look over ;) I can certainly understand why someone who uses a knife on a daily basis would want to find a decent knife for an inexpensive price... one that if you over-pryed on something and snapped the blade you wouldn't feel too bad about it and could grab another one. Sort of like why I get my sunglasses from Walmart or the BP station because I always lose them or sit on them LoL :D Good hunting everyone!

- Kevin

"I refuse to have a monogamous relationship with a knife."

I've bought a slew of cheaper knives. The main reason to be informed and read about knives online to me is to be able to find the quality, inexpensive stuff out there. I have a variety of stuff to carry and play with now. "You will lose an expensive knife the first day you carry it, but you can throw a cheap knife out the window of your car and it will be on your dresser when you get home."

The best quality "cheap knife" will always be those cheap knives from yesteryear, Old Shrades, Camillus, etc. I pity the "non-knife guys" of today with the mystery steel, etc. they are served in the readily accessible vendors. Might have something to do with knives not being as popular.

I feel exactly the same way.

Take Imperial knives for example, they're weren't built like tanks...
Depends on the era. Early Imperials were quite solidly built. Check out some Imperial knives from before Baer bought them and through the 1940s. That alone is about a 35 year period.

Last edited:
I’m curious about the reasons knife folks buy cheap knives that we know will have quality control and durability issues. I’m not asking about solid quality inexpensive knives like Mora, SAK, or Opinel, which (from what I understand) are both “cheap” and well made. I’m asking about gas station type stuff or sweat shop foreign stuff, if that makes sense.

This question isn't about price. The OP acknowledges there are good knives that are cheap (Mora, Victorinox, Opinel) and asks why people buy junk.

If you can get something good for the same low price but choose to buy junk instead, then you are either not making a well informed decision or you like junk.

And I do agree there are good inexpensive knives at the same price point as junk. Victorinox, Opinel and Mora are examples of good inexpensive knives.

Also keep in mind that sometimes what appears to be unbiased opinion is actually marketing. As one example, the most outspoken cheap import knife fan that I've met on the net is selling these knives as a hobby business. For a long time, I thought he was just a collector. A much bigger problem is that some product reviews on the biggest online store are sometimes bought by manufacturers or the products are given away in exchange for a review. Folks who don't spend much time thinking about knives may take these reviews and opinions as unbiased. And that same big company is intentionally hiding country of origin from the product details. This helps them to compete with another large global market seller. Some honest 3rd party sellers have complained about the practice. There are even some "reviewers" who falsely state the country of origin as the USA in the Q&A or Review for the products. So it takes some diligence to make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that sometimes what appears to be unbiased opinion is actually marketing.
You make a very important and helpful point. This is often the case when purchasing item based on the opinions of others, at times even unintentionally. A recognition of this is perhaps the first step in making intelligent choices, regardless of price point. This is especially true for items that are not only sold retail but also resold as "collector's items," both old and new.

Last edited:
I've ordered knives that cost me little in money, but were much higher in quality than I would have expected for the price. I've also paid little money for a knife, and received poor quality to match. The same goes for having ordered knives at considerably higher prices, their quality sometimes being very good, while other times the knife I'd receive was nowhere near the quality level I would have expected for the money I paid (often shaking my head in disbelief that they would send the knife out with such obvious flaws in workmanship).
For example, in my own experience, I believe the average Rough Rider pocket knife (which are made in China), is a better quality product than the average Utica (American made) pocket knife. That said, Rough Rider is also sold for quite a bit less than the Utica products. I know there is an old saying that goes "You get what you pay for"... And even though that is probably more often true than not, it's simply not always the case. Some "cheap" knives, (in price), are surprisingly pretty well made... Some "premium' knives, (in price), are surprisingly not so well made. You just have to find out which ones are what, and not be held to just judging on price tag alone.

Last edited:
I look here ,YouTube, and other knife sites to learn about my hobby! I grew up with Old Timer 's Case and Buck! I generally spend less than 20 bucks on any knife cause I shop hard on the Bay for USA stuff and Box stores and Amazon for modern knifes. Like my Coast Folders at Home Depot and Lowes.

I have intentionally purchased four inexpensive knives to see what they were like. Two Rough Riders for under $10 each, and two Old Timers when they were made by Taylor Brands LLC a few years ago, for under $20 each.

Out of those 4, both Rough Riders are decently made knives that cut things and have no defects that I have been able to find. I still prefer the overall build and features of my Case knives over the Rough Riders.

Of the two Old Timers - one was acceptable and would make a good "I don't care what happens to it" toolbox knife, and the other had manufacturing defects sufficient to prevent me from ever carrying or using it. I bought the second (defective) Old Timer was after the overall favorable experience with the first one.

The reason I bought those knives was specifically out of curiosity about the brands, and what sort of quality you get for the dollar spent. My curiosity was satisfied.

I wasn't going to post in this thread but decided to throw my 2 cents in even though some of it has already been said.
First I agree big difference in cheap and inexpensive although many times we all like to tie these two words together. I have found that most "gas station knives" are very cheap and usually of modern folder design in brands such as Frost, Mtec and Tacforce which IMO are just junk. A sharpened butter would serve you much better. Rarely have I found a knife built in a traditional pattern among "gas station knives". I also believe these knives try to target the general public particularly younger folks that just see them as cool and have no knife knowledge at all.
Many inexpensive knives both modern and traditional are not bad at all however most are made outside of the USA so unless you have an aversion to imported products they should serve you well. There are many reason knife nuts buy the inexpensive knives budget, value, a way to try different patterns and so on. I found that most collectors and serious knife folks have no problem with the folks that buy the inexpensive stuff and most will or have tried them for themselves and only knife snobs snub those that do and that type person I personally do not want to be associated with. So I say buy and use what you want and can afford.

I don’t intentionally buy knives of unexceptable quality. If I happen to acquire one, because I bought it without being able to inspect it first, I will usually give it away.

As regards to price, I don’t exclude buying knives that are inexpensive. I love knives of all economic classes.

This thread has proven interesting and has spawned a couple of trails down different paths (sort of like knife collectors diverging in preferences for patterns!). I’ve learned a few things I hadn’t considered and others that I had in mind. I appreciate the responses!

I wonder if anyone has bought cheap knives to take apart and figure out how the workings go together?

Along similar lines, I'm curious about the reasons knife folks buy expensive knives that turn out to have quality control and durability issues.

The difference is if I know a knife is cheap, I know to expect problems that shouldn’t arise in an expensive knife.

I know to expect problems that shouldn’t arise in an expensive knife.
Exactly, which is why it is proportionally more disappointing and off putting to be charged extra for higher end knives with problems that shouldn't arise (or should not be passed on to the customer when they do arise) in the first place.

Last edited:
This question isn't about price. The OP acknowledges there are good knives that are cheap (Mora, Victorinox, Opinel) and asks why people buy junk.

If you can get something good for the same low price but choose to buy junk instead, then you are either not making a well informed decision or you like junk.

And I do agree there are good inexpensive knives at the same price point as junk. Victorinox, Opinel and Mora are examples of good inexpensive knives.

Most of the people out there do not intentionally buy junk. A lot of them, don't know junk from quality. What is obvious to you is completely missed by others. That being said, the makers of junk knives know what grabs the eye and that is half the battle.
Shiny, bright colors, outlandish or even comical shapes and configurations, high intimidation factor - any and all can do it. Get them looking at it, and then the bargain bin pricing - the buyer says "Oh cool! it's only 5 bucks! Get it quick!" In their mind it's a ridiculously low price to pay to feel like Rambo.

The most useful thing about this forum is finding the value purchases, but one man's junk is another man's quality. When I can afford it I will get a better TV, or computer. Tools which stay in a tool box definitely need to be quality and last a lifetime. But what I carry on my person I prefer to be more expendable. I love my I-phone one. Don't sweat it too much and it does what I need. If someone else prefers to carry expensive, that is their choice.

In matters of taste there can be no disputes.
de gustibus non est disputandum

... and only knife snobs snub those that do and that type person I personally do not want to be associated with...

Randy, You previously used the word "snob" in a similar discussion. In that prior post it seemed to be addressed at me as I was pretty much the only one making an opposing point. I found it especially strange since I was shipping you an expensive gift around the same time. That doesn't mean it's easy for me. I was even selling other knives to cover my own bills. But I ignored it. Not sure if this is directed at me as well. It shouldn't have been said once and definitely not twice. You are better than that.

...Whatever your opinion it's not worth acting like a knife snob or arguing over. I say that because I have seen this type of discussion escalate into an all out war.

If someone thinks that McDonalds is junk and you can eat healthier for the same price, they aren't a snob. There are lots of healthier alternatives to McDonald's at the same price. Look at the couple bucks worth of leftovers in my lunch box ! McDonalds is expensive by comparison! If that person still wants to eat at McDonalds every day, that's up to him. But he can own it. No need to falsely claim it's all about price and call people snobs. He just likes McDonalds.

As I said in my posts in this topic and the prior topic, there are alternatives for the same price.

...so unless you have an aversion to imported products...

It is my own choice not to support any company that I believe has previously and is presently destroying the tradition of knife making in the USA and other countries... even China.

Thank you for sharing the photos and history. I've only seen these knives in photos but I think I would enjoy the knife.
It is interesting that mass produced knives in China had a similar negative impact on cutlery traditions in Taiwan/China as well as a negative impact on cutlery traditions in the USA.

My hands are tied by forum rules from discussing that further.

But that is a separate issue. This discussion is really about quality, not price. There are inexpensive quality knives that are a real alternative to junk. I agree with the original post that Mora, Victorinox, and Opinel are good examples.

Last edited:
Back