• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Cheburkov Quality Control

CRKDMike

Gold Member
This just arrived directly from FRWK (CKF).

Their solution is for me to ship it out of the country to some person in California, and they did not provide a shipping label or anything. They shipped me a $300 paper weight, and now I am responsible for making it right.

I am currently waiting for their reply to my request for an exchange instead.

It’s a nice toy in the meantime, but a $300+ knife that doesn’t cut is an expensive and silly toy that I never wanted.

I should add that initially, this transaction was really great. FRWK worked with me, and got the knife to me successfully in Canada. All was well. It went south when I realized that this knife isn’t actually a knife. Big fail for Cheburkov, and a Fail for FRWK too in my opinion. They should at least give each of the knives they ship a once over. Taking 2 minutes to inspect an outbound knife could save lots of time and money for both the customer and FRWK, and prevent situations like this.

Last edited:
Are the edges ground?

Is there a bevel on it at all can’t tell from video.

Awesome! What a great opportunity to put a better than factory edge on it! Even thought the factory seems to have forgot to put an edge on it. @StangBladeworks is in Canada. He might be able to help. I've dealt w/ him before. If'n that's the avenue you wish to proceed down.

That is a big oversight then.

If it were my knife I probably would feel more comfortable sending it to a professional sharpener than the company.
They should compensate you though.

Awesome! What a great opportunity to put a better than factory edge on it! Even thought the factory seems to have forgot to put an edge on it. @StangBladeworks is in Canada. He might be able to help. I've dealt w/ him before. If'n that's the avenue you wish to proceed down.

I don’t go spending large amounts of money on knives only to have to then send them out and spend more money and time on them just so that they cut lol.

This thread serves as a warning for anyone who is considering purchasing from this maker, or from FRWK.

Yikes, that is disappointing! I've purchased two of that model over the past year and they were both exceptionally sharp and well constructed. Neither were ordered from FRWK, however.

Yikes, that is disappointing! I've purchased two of that model over the past year and they were both exceptionally sharp and well constructed. Neither were ordered from FRWK, however.
I love the knife aside from the issue at hand. The design is amazing, it is built nicely and feels great.

FRWK just responded to my video and request for an exchange. They said they are going to contact Cheburkov.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Hard to excuse that leaving Cheburkov in that condition. Have a little patience and I'm sure that FRWK will take care of you. They're stand-up folks in my experience.

Personally I'd be a little excited to get a knife that didn't have a full factory edge on it, that way I could do a better job myself. But that's not at all how it's supposed to come, and I can't blame you for not wanting to keep it.

Hard to excuse that leaving Cheburkov in that condition. Have a little patience and I'm sure that FRWK will take care of you. They're stand-up folks in my experience.
Well their initial response did not come across as sufficient for me.
An issue like this should warrant an immediate replacement in my opinion, and I should not have to spend anymore time or money helping them correct this.
Mistakes happen, obviously, but something like this needs to be taken care of swiftly and painlessly, in order to save face.
Up until now the response from FRWK and Cheburkov has been lacking. Cheburkov responded to my email by saying they don’t understand English, which, in this age, is kind of silly because there are free translators online. They also said if it is a marriage problem that they would address it immediately.
Put it this way. If you were a knife maker, and someone came to you and showed you that you didn’t put an edge on their knife, what would your response be?

I’m going to stop replying to this thread for now, until I have a response, as it’s not fair for me to keep fanning the flames without their official solution yet.

Personally I'd be a little excited to get a knife that didn't have a full factory edge on it, that way I could do a better job myself. But that's not at all how it's supposed to come, and I can't blame you for not wanting to keep it.

It really depends on whether the knife will be a user or there is a good chance that down the road it will be sold as LNIB. If the former and if it were me, I'd just sharpen it myself, which is always a fun thing to do (again, not suggesting the OP should do it or not). If the latter, however, the OP should then get an exchange without one additional penny out of his pocket.

I'm sorry, but did anyone else laugh at the video? Seeing someone try to saw their hand in half is amusing, I guess...

This is actually the second Cheburkov QC fail I've heard of. Nick Shabazz's review of the small Cheburkov Strizh mentioned a messed up washer, where it looks like someone at the factory realized it was messed up, and adjusted the centering to hide it, rather than just replacing the 5 cent piece. In his case, at least his dealer (Lamnia) fixed it quickly. I've had three Cheburkovs which were all perfect, but they do seem inconsistent, at best.

Hopefully FRWK fixes it for you. I've only dealt with them once, but their customer service was decent in that instance.

Update.

Cheburkov knives saw my video, realized the extent of the problem, and told me they are prepared to do everything possible for me.

Things are looking up!
That is great to hear. I just purchased my first Cheburkov and I would hate to find out that they are not a stand up company. They produce some beautiful knives!

I wouldnt send it back personally. Good chance it gets confiscated. I am in canada and I would be willing to sharpen it for you. I would try to find a local guy to do it. It sucks with cbsa right now. If not i suggest shipping it back at their cost for a refund.

Back