Cheburkov Scout

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
I've had my Scout since mid-January and have plastered pics of it in several forums around here. Along the way I've been asked more than once for my take on Cheburkov knives, particularly in comparison to Shirogorovs. Inasmuch as I have six Shiros and but this one Cheburkov, I can only speak for the Scout. On the other hand, the Scout is very similar to the Shiro F95T, most familiarly known as the Turtle, so I'll offer some comparisons between the two simply to give a better picture of the Scout as many more here are familiar with the Turtle. I will say right of the bat that this won't be a Scout vs Turtle thread as I like each knife a lot and won't build one up at the expense of the other.

First, a couple pics of the two together--
gxrpZoY.jpg

GoUgbHx.jpg

A lot the same here--almost exactly the same size, with 3.8" M390 blades of similar proportions, though the Scout has both a taste more drop and a fair amount more belly, similar to the blade shape of the Shiro NeOn. Both knives have milled titanium handles in interesting patterns. Neither of my two have internal milling, though that option is available on other versions of each knife. Of course, both are ti framelock flippers with steel lockbar inserts. Both inserts feature tabs that engage the handle slabs as over-travel stops and both inserts are also short of the ti lockbar to act as inward over-travel stops as well.

Both knives also have milled/sculpted pocket clips. While both clips are handsome enough and complement the look of each knife, this sort of clip is not my favorite, as insertion can be a little tough in jeans or heavy pants. The Turtle clip goes in much easier than the Scout, but the former has been in and out of my pocket a lot in the last year-and-a-half. Both knives are also on ball bearings. I haven't had either apart, though I'm sure my Turtle's SRBS features the typical loose bearings I've found in my other Shiros. Really no idea about the bearings in the Scout. Both knives flip great! The Shiro is maybe a taste quicker and freer with a lighter detent. The Scout comes out impressively too, though it's a bit more muted. Both free-drop on release and pretty much close under their own weight with just a slight bit of upward wrist. Both knives also feature single, housed stop pins.

Blade stock is of similar proportions--Scout at .154", Turtle at .145". Both are flat ground, though the Scout has a slight partial flat at the spine. Both are sharpened at about 20 dps and are approx .021" behind the edge. Excellent slicers and cutters with good edge retention.

For differences, the Scout weighs in at 5.4 oz compared to 4.5 for the Turtle. The Cheburkov's handle is 1/2" thick while the Shirogorov is a slimmer 7/16". The Turtle is fully open construction with a single big-ass standoff at the rear while the Scout has a half-length ti backspacer with integral lanyard opening. The Turtle has its lanyard hole in the show side slab. The Scout is Torx construction while the Turtle features Shiro's iconic PacMan screws.

That's it for comparisons, save for the one thing that's always asked--how does the overall build quality and F&F compare. Honestly, as much as I love me Shiros, I have to say that the Cheburkov Scout doesn't take a backseat to its Russian cousin Shirogorov Turtle. As far as price goes, I got a really good deal on my Turtle, brand-new from Vladimir_K at $850 net. The Scout came from the only authorized outside-of-Russia dealer, a German firm not registered here, and was $560 all in. Does that make the Cheburkov a better value? I don't really look at things that way. I like both knives, am glad to have both, and what they cost is, well, what they cost. I've got knives that I like a lot that cost a mere fraction of each that cut probably every bit as well as these two. You could probably sharpen up a Jarbenza and it would cut fine too. Like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder, but these two are real beauties for sure.

Damn, that was a lot of text. As this is about the Cheburkov Scout, how about some more pics.

P8f97uF.jpg

Wicked smooth dark bronze ano'd handle slabs with brass/bronze ano'd hardware.

oP4T1YZ.jpg

Really love the milling pattern both sides and the smallish, flipper tab with build-year stamp.

SCnNRxQ.jpg

The handle edges aren't as chamfered as the Shiro Turtle, but they're nicely eased and very comfortable in hand.

US9UOny.jpg

Not-too-aggressive, but useful jimping and dead-balls centering.

AR0KOPg.jpg

Pocket clip came with a little rub-off on each edge due to the way the maker boxes the knife. OK with me as I intend to give this baby some wear anyway. One complaint is that the lanyard opening is too tight, but being located at the handle spine it keeps the cord out of the way.

E2jepNt.jpg

Hard to get it to show well in a pic, but the way the flat grind transitions into the small flat at the spine is just a thing of beauty. That small flat in turn narrows and transitions into the nicely rounded edges of the blade spine heading toward the point.

vkfsacK.jpg

Last one. This was the sharpest knife out of the box that I'd ever received (my REK re-grind notwithstanding). I also hate blades that are billboards. Shirogorov and Cheburkov get it right with just a small maker's mark on one side and the steel type on the other.

1jeLy4H.jpg

OK, I lied, but I love this knife. :)

Awesome write up and great pics! Always nice to see an objective comparison post.

I do have one question. Are you sure that your scout does not have internal milling? I thought they all did, especially the 2017 but I could be very wrong.

Honestly, I’m hoping that you’re right and when I get mine, it wont have internal milling since I prefer a heavier knife. Some reviews I’ve seen said their first impressions were that it felt cheap since it was so light weight.

Also, I believe the scout has SRBS from what I’ve seen videos. It seems that just like your review, the general consensus is that the action is amazing but the Shiro still beats it by a hair.

Awesome write up and great pics! Always nice to see an objective comparison post.

I do have one question. Are you sure that your scout does not have internal milling? I thought they all did, especially the 2017 but I could be very wrong.

Honestly, I’m hoping that you’re right and when I get mine, it wont have internal milling since I prefer a heavier knife. Some reviews I’ve seen said their first impressions were that it felt cheap since it was so light weight.

Also, I believe the scout has SRBS from what I’ve seen videos. It seems that just like your review, the general consensus is that the action is amazing but the Shiro still beats it by a hair.
I was a bit surprised that the knife had no internal milling as those I'd seen in vids and review pics did. I wrote to Florian Somer, who owns the German dealership along with his brother, and he responded that they had customers that wanted heavier knives so they asked Alexander Cheburkov to provide some with no internal milling.

I'm fine with the knife as it is and was actually surprised when I first hefted it as it seemed lighter than I'd anticipated.

The knife took very little breaking in. It was just a taste sluggish when I first tried it and the detent seemed a bit stiff. By the end of the day it was flipping and dropping just fine and has continued to get better ever since. I've noticed in several European knives and now this different Russian one that there's a bit of a tendency to put too much heavy grease in the pivots. I've had a few others apart to clean the crap out, but my Scout is doing just fine.

Nice review, fingers crossed that more Cheburkov knives make the trip across the pond.

I really like their designs and I always hear great things about build quality.

I thought the Scout is 121gr? 4.3 ounces roughly? That's what youtube reviewers say and also what FRWK has in the specs????

I'm thinking about getting a Cheburkov Strizh in carbon fiber some day. Pretty affordable and high quality. The Strizh doesn't drop shut and on washers but it looks like a good manual open like say a sebenza.

I thought the Scout is 121gr? 4.3 ounces roughly? That's what youtube reviewers say and also what FRWK has in the specs????
As I mentioned in my review and in Post #3, my Scout has no internal milling. Looking at the TFG website (my knife's source) they have some Scouts listed at 121 grams and others listed at 155, the difference clearly being between knives with and without internal milling.

I'm thinking about getting a Cheburkov Strizh in carbon fiber some day. Pretty affordable and high quality. The Strizh doesn't drop shut and on washers but it looks like a good manual open like say a sebenza.
Well, you got me going, Mo. I went over to TFG and looked at the CF Strisch. Really nice knife and a helluva deal. I wrote to Florian inquiring about a bottom line price with shipping to the US, so I haven't quite committed yet, but am leaning dangerously. :eek:

Reactions: Mo2
As I mentioned in my review and in Post #3, my Scout has no internal milling. Looking at the TFG website (my knife's source) they have some Scouts listed at 121 grams and others listed at 155, the difference clearly being between knives with and without internal milling.
Oh my bad missed that one.

Oh my bad missed that one.
No worries, J. There's lots of fine print with all this knife info. ;) I only realized after writing the dealer about the Strisch I mentioned above that the knife comes in both large and small versions. :oops:

Reactions: Mo2
No worries, J. There's lots of fine print with all this knife info. ;) I only realized after writing the dealer about the Strisch I mentioned above that the knife comes in both large and small versions. :oops:
I just noticed that too. They also have several types of steel. That Vanadis looks interesting.

I just noticed that too. They also have several types of steel. That Vanadis looks interesting.
I not only got an email reply from Florian this morning, Mo, but he "kindly" sent me a PP invoice as well. Sneaky, these Germans. :p He got me! I ordered the small CF Strisch in Vanadis 8 which is stupidly light at under 75 grams or less than 3 oz. From what I've read, Vanadis 8 is similar to D2 with less chipping at higher hardness and able to take and keep a keener edge. Less corrosion resistant, but even though I live on the coast I take care of my stuff well enough that corrosion hasn't been a problem for me with tool steels. I like trying out different steels and like a lot of different steels too.

Shipping will be a bit slow through German Post--the Scout was about 10 days--and tracking's not very reassuring, so I'll have to content myself with TFG's pics for now. :(

Edit: I must retract the sentence I struck through above as TFG shipped the knife DP Priority Wednesday and it cleared ISC NY this morning at 4:15 AM. Big props to Flo for the upgraded shipping!

Strisch pair.jpg

Last edited:
I not only got an email reply from Florian this morning, Mo, but he "kindly" sent me a PP invoice as well. Sneaky, these Germans. :p He got me! I ordered the small CF Strisch in Vanadis 8 which is stupidly light at under 75 grams or less than 3 oz. From what I've read, Vanadis 8 is similar to D2 with less chipping at higher hardness and able to take and keep a keener edge. Less corrosion resistant, but even though I live on the coast I take care of my stuff well enough that corrosion hasn't been a problem for me with tool steels. I like trying out different steels and like a lot of different steels too.

Shipping will be a bit slow through German Post--the Scout was about 10 days--and tracking's not very reassuring, so I'll have to content myself with TFG's pics for now. :(

View attachment 974863

Nice grab, though acquired surreptitiously haha. I picked up one of these (in M390 though) not too far back. It's pictured below with a few similarly sized models from JG, Rockstead, and CKF. It is incredibly light and well put together. I'm curious about that Vanadis 8.
reSnkQj.jpg

I just ordered the Scout TI W with milled handles and m390. FRWK 470 with a discount code I had from buying the Snecx Terra.
Which one did you buy? The one with the same finish and hardware as mine that shows "Out of Stock"? I didn't realize my knife was without internal milling when I ordered and would have preferred it did at the time, but I'm not disappointed with it in any way. I'll be interested in your impression when you get yours and of course pics are mandatory. :)

Edit: That's a nice discount off their ask. :cool:

Last edited:
Which one did you buy? The one with the same finish and hardware as mine that shows "Out of Stock"? I didn't realize my knife was without internal milling when I ordered and would have preferred it did at the time, but I'm not disappointed with it in any way. I'll be interested in your impression when you get yours and of course pics are mandatory. :)

Edit: That's a nice discount off their ask. :cool:
Model I got is the same except it has the silver/stainless looking hardware and the internal milling in the handles. Says it’s 4.2 ounces. Left customs in Russia on the 31st. I expect it will be here this week hopefully. It took less than two weeks for my Snecx Terra Ti to show up.

I ordered a Tukan about a week ago directly from Alex, It will have an antique bronze frame and polished satin M390 blade along with bronzed hardware.
I will also ask for the internal milling and steel lock bar insert.

Having owned and sold well over a dozen Shiro's including a 95 with maple insert's and Damasteel blade that cost me 1500.00 (before CD'S) I'm anxious to compare build quality myself and at less than HALF the price of a Shiro! That is why I sold all my shiro's, just couldn't justify carrying and using an almost 1000.00 knife.

Iv'e been told it will take 4-6 weeks for my build and I will make sure and post some pics when it's done. Hopefully I'm on to something here and can't wait!

Last edited:
Thread resurrection for a question:

Does anyone know if the bearings in the Scout are caged vs loose? The loose bearings in Shiros make them a no go for me.

Thread resurrection for a question:

Does anyone know if the bearings in the Scout are caged vs loose? The loose bearings in Shiros make them a no go for me.

Not sure about the bearings, I haven't taken mine apart yet. My nod goes to the Shiro as the action is superior IMO.

Not sure about the bearings, I haven't taken mine apart yet. My nod goes to the Shiro as the action is superior IMO.

The Scout’s bearings are caged, which is a plus for me. IIRC, Shiros can be had in thinner blade stock, which throws a plus back that way.

Or, we can get a CKF Baugi in .12”/3mm thick M390, nearly full flat ground, with caged bearings.

Or a ZT 0470.

I’m finding that I’m less interested in the action of the Shiro than I am in avoiding loose bearings. The blade and... I’m going to be honest... the backspacers. Those are what keep me looking at them.

Back