Check out my latest Balisong

Just finished this up, and it is unfortunately already spoken for. Blade is 5/32 thick, made of A-2 and is 3 3/16in long. Overall length is 7 1/2in. Handles were milled by me from solid rods of O-1. Single edged although it looks double edged. Some simple filework on the unsharpened edge and around the back of the blade. Phospor bronze bushings at each pivot point to reduce wear and for smoothness. The main stop pin is 3/16 since it sees the most abuse.
Thanks for looking,
Chuck
knife closed

knife open

Very cool. This is truly a one of a kind knife. I think it's amazing that so many new bali's and bali-makers are coming out of the woodwork.:D

Man that is sweet. Perfect size and style for my tastes.

Any plans on making more of these?

i love that profile it looks real good acctually i just commisioned a blade very close to that shape but i wanted a hamon too. so we will see it in about a month.

It looks nice striper. How long have you been making knives for? I would like to start someday. What types of machines do you use?

It's coming to me. :) I'm pretty psyched, a nice 3" spear point w/ stainless handles to flip... I'll report back after I get it.

JW, just curious, can you spill the beans on who you ordered your bali from? :)

Nicely done. The blade shape is very dramatic. It looks like the two tang pins are different sizes. That would work fine. The back tang pin which locks the knife open probably needs to be stronger than the front tang pin which holds the blade centered between the handles when the knife is closed. As far as I can remember, Mr. striper28 is the first maker to recognize that.

I made the bottom stop pin larger because it seems only logical that the lower pin sees more abuse than the upper one. It also gives you a better grip on the knife when you have it open and really squeeze.
I'm glad you guys like it, and I plan on making a few more in the future, I am working on a few folders for an upcoming show so the bali's will have to wait, but If I get bored at work i'll mill out a few more handle sets.
Thanks,
Chuck

joe walters @ moonlit forge
www.moonlitforge.com
i only ordered a blade. im gonna give making handles a shot if i fail im gonna give her to mer
i may have to save some cash cause striper really got me thinking here . i really love that knife great job
john

Very nice Chuck.., boy I really like that profile! Thanks for posting the pictures..., and Nybble :)...you lucky dog.., please give us a review when you get to play with it a little...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., eekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Nice. :cool:

Interesting tang. Any particulary reason for that design?

And just a little critizism: The skeleton holes in the handles don't seem very straight... Is that on purpose, or...?

Nice Chuck!

I'm sure it flips as well as the one I have of your's! :)

-Michael

__hr_milled+handle+bali+closed.jpg

__hr_milled+handle+bali.jpg

Originally posted by striper28
I made the bottom stop pin larger because it seems only logical that the lower pin sees more abuse than the upper one.
Not quite sure about the validity of this comment. In a true double tang pin design, the forward most tang pin serves to prevent the handle from traveling too far; in your bali it means to not let the blade's edge hit the channel wall; in a sandwich construction, it means the blade won't slip through the handle slits. But both tang pins should encounter the same amount of impact abuse. For every opening of the blade the rear tang pin encounters, there should be a handle closing impact that the forward tang pin will soon face. Also, if you think about it, the front tang pin will see more use than the rear, as the bali typically stays closed longer than it stays open. About the only argument that would invalidate this is if the owner stores the bali unlatched.....

My $0.02.

Originally posted by tonyccw
About the only argument that would invalidate this is if the owner stores the bali unlatched.....

Um...I'm guessing that the owner does store the bali unlatched because it doesn't have a latch.

Originally posted by Biohazard
Um...I'm guessing that the owner does store the bali unlatched because it doesn't have a latch.
Yup. Guess that mean his tang pin design is EXTREMELY valid... :eek: :eek: :eek: (Duh, my bad. Can't believe I totally missed that. Got too caught up on the theortics of it all.)

Still, gotta question the whether the rear tang pin gets more abuse than the front one during manipulation.... ;)

Back