Check out my new and first Anvil!

I have always dreamed of making knives! Last year I started living that dream and bought a grinder and a bunch of other tools and got started. I just got my first anvil and got her all mounted up with the help of a friend. I found a new Emerson 200 Tradition for $1100 and made a mount for it. The mount is 4x4's connected with 10" timberlocks, 3 per 4x4 and Gorilla wood glue. Routered out the top to fit the base down about 3/4" and it fits extremely tight! With the chain it does not budge at all and it really quiet. The face sits right at my knuckles when standing next to it. Now I can go beyond stock removal and start to learn forging! The Emerson is made form solid 4140 tool steel and fully heat treated and tempered to 48-50rc. I'll be very careful while learning so I dont dent her beautiful face! Even though I can't yet use it for shit, it is one of my most prised possessions! What do you think?

Last edited:
It will look better once you get some fire scale all over it! LOL
Is the pipe loop on the side for hanging tools or a handle for moving the anvil? If it is a handle, be careful, it appears the anvil will be out over your arms when tilted and it is probably very top heavy.

Looks great. My only concern is those wheels don't look sufficient for the weight.

Also, the handle for moving it is tipping it toward you. If it gets away from you and tips over, it falls toward you. Not a good situation!
Try adding this:
Put a piece of 1" pipe across each end of the base ( bick and heel ends). Put them just a bit below the top of the wood. Use two pipe straps to attach them. When moving, slide two 48" pieces of 3/4" pipe in the sleeves and pick up like a wheelbarrow. This makes moving much easier and safer. You make have to sand/grind the 3/4" pipe a bit if it is too snug to slide in the 1" pipe.

Get rid of those wheels and handle.

If you need to move it do it with a hand truck.

Thanks gentlemen! So the wheels are rated to 300lbs each. 200lbs for the anvil and 120ish for the base is well under that and the bolts go in several inches. Do you think that is safe? The "handle" is for holding hammers and tongs. I move it by grabbing the anvil itself and leaning it onto the wheels. I like the wheel barrel idea! Got any pictures of this set up? Thanks again gentlemen!

Looks great. I'm also picturing it as a cool hood ornament for your Honda...

Back