"Checkering" doesn't mean giving Dick Nixon a Dog

Let's see it again:

file_zpsfc8d2e34.jpg

I've always been a big fan of checkering. It's a rarely used feature on knives, and the ACTUAL purpose is extra grip (handles like traction!) That it does so with such precision is a wonder to behold.

Once I got a copy of the 'Double Gun Journal' I HAD to have something done. I specifically had a Jim Hammond Cruiser checkered by a pro years ago. Still love it.

I'm impressed and not surprised at your outcome. Not only is the checkering skillful, so is your attention to the generous free space surrounding it. Your eye is as good as your hand.

Love it.

Coop

Love the treatment on the fittings, the enlarged pins, and the arc of space separating the checkering. And would love to see more pics.

Thanks for posting John.

Seth

The Checkering and the fittings just put it over the top in my book. It would be special without either, but combined it is perfect. Just lovely!

Paul is a big fan of you and your work.

This is the most appealing knife I have ever seen you do. Everything is correct on it, and I would like to own it.

Best Regards and Happy Thanksgiving,

STeven Garsson

Guys, thanks loads for all the compliments.

Thanks especially to one of my collectors with whom this blade shape was worked out a couple years back, and who later suggested I try a checkered handle version.

You folks who buy these things I make really are the inspiration for a lot of what comes out of the shop.

Nothing's perfect, including this first try at cutting little diamonds, but it sure occupies the time, lots of it!

Here's another view.

John

Gorgeous! Really like the checkered panels and the rust browned/stainless spacers look terrific! Exceptional twist damascus!
GG

Nice bowie John,
You have rust blued damascus fittings? How did that work out? Can you show a better shot of the guard?
Boy you're good at checkering

Bruce,

I'm rust-browning fittings with Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown; heating with a propane torch, and brushing on. It takes multiple applications to get the color desired, but it's really durable, and works on Damascus as well as it does on mild steel.

I'm etching the Damascus fittings fairly deeply beforehand, so the pattern shows up through the browning. In hand, you can see the pattern nicely, especially as you turn the knife in the light. I don't think you can see the damascus in the photos as well as you can in person, if you can see it at all here.

Here's a blow-up of the handle and fittings, though.

John

Last edited:
John can't wait to also see what Paul does for the leather

I would be suprised if some of the younger members here remember Tricky Dicks dog :)

I keep coming back to this knife and can't stop wondering how this would have looked with gold spacers and pins. Given the colour of the guard and handle I think that would have looked great too.

Marcel

the damas ofcoarse is stunning but i'll stay on this beutifull handle. Not so in shape But in this wonderful and clean diamant cut in the standards of the very good and expensive hunting guns

Man that's nice John. The checkering is so clean and blackwood can chip pretty easily.

Back