Checking out the Mike Nguyen Kaizen Splitblade midtech!

Got to play with the Kaizen splitblade midtech prototype engineered and designed by Mike Nguyen and produced by Reate. Talk about one smooth operator and an incredible action. I own one of Mike's customs and this baby has the same feel in the hand, the way the blade rockets out, and effortlessly closes. Needless to say, I am impressed!

Interesting knife. I cant help but see my peanut butter and jelly getting stuck in there and how there is more area to clean.

Just run some soapy hot water through it, Brett--should clean up just fine. :D Definitely unique, if not my cup of tea. It's gotta be so hard to be innovative in this industry; always interesting to see something different.

Interesting knife. I cant help but see my peanut butter and jelly getting stuck in there and how there is more area to clean.

Good ol fashioned butter knife might be the most suitable tool for that particular application.:D:D:D

I have a very negative reaction to this knife, and always had. I am sad to see that it will be a midtech from Reate. I thought they might have better judgment than that.

Just as rarity does not necessarily equate to desirability, neither does being "unique", or "different".

is that blade made out of 2 pieces? great looking design. I'm really liking the texture on the handle. :thumbup:

Interesting idea. Can see where an interchangeable blade can be of particular desirability. Although done before, this is a rather unique take on it.

If it is indeed swappable, I might be interested.

Only problem I see, is the potential for gunk to get stuck. I'd hate to have to take it apart every day to clean it. That would put undue wear on an important structural part, which has already been weakened.

screws through the spine?

the last picture you can see the bright spots on the spine showing where the screws are. so in a sense, you could swap out the style of blade as well as changing to a different steel. I just wonder how secure they are, as in will the blade come loose or shift under use.

Check this out... a really good review of the Kaizen...

[video]https://youtu.be/9eEr3QHCDUs[/video]

the last picture you can see the bright spots on the spine showing where the screws are. so in a sense, you could swap out the style of blade as well as changing to a different steel. I just wonder how secure they are, as in will the blade come loose or shift under use.

They will not, screws do not absorb the stress. The blade insert has columns that go into the chassis, they are design to take all of the stress from impact. I have video up on my ig of me hitting it with a mini sledge hammer. I also put a proto into a one ton arbor and the pivot on the handles failed before the blade insert did.

As far as gunk and debris, it's very easy to blow out or clean, the gaps are big enough where stuff can be pushed out but it takes less than 30 seconds to remove the blade. You have a better chance of getting debris stuck in the gap between the handles.

Its a neat novelty idea. And a cool exercise in what can be done. but Its not really anything that I would buy. Honestly it would probably hinder my cutting tasks more than improve it. Id honestly rather just have another complete blade and take the knife apart to put the other one in.

I really wished he flipped the knife without one of the blade blanks installed. Just flipping a nub.

Oddly enough, I see some promise with the concept:
- comb attachment
- training blade attachment
- serrated blade attachment

I don't get why the blade needs to have the gaps. I would much rather have full contact and more screws....

And yet you told him to not post his opinion but to pass on by. I only suggested you do as you suggested.
No I didn't. I asked him a question about his reaction to the knife and suggested a different idea. "Passing by" the knife, not the thread.

You know, I was talking to him. :confused:

No I didn't. I asked him a question about his reaction to the knife and suggested a different idea. "Passing by" the knife, not the thread.

You know, I was talking to him. :confused:

My bad Boss. I misread your post :thumbup:

Back