Checking out the Mike Nguyen Kaizen Splitblade midtech!

OK. Not for me either.

Now you lost me. Why do you care if somebody makes a knife you don't like? Just pass the knife by.

I normally try to see the 'good' in any knife I come across, even knives which are derided by large segments of the knife community. But this is a knife that I feel compelled to express my negative opinions about.

I'd prefer a straight up composite blade, but props for doing something different.

I normally try to see the 'good' in any knife I come across, even knives which are derided by large segments of the knife community. But this is a knife that I feel compelled to express my negative opinions about.

This forum is for opinions and I respect yours even if you don't like my design.

The only thing I take issue is with your disparaging remarks about Reate. Reate makes some of the best midtech / production knives, a lot of higher end makers such as Todd Begg uses Reate for their quality and delivery on time. I have been a mechanical engineer for over 16 years, I'm very well versed in QMS and manufacturing and would never use a vendor without thoroughly vetting them. You probably don't know this but I designed a lot of knives for makers, that's how I got into making my own knives. I always recommended Reate to them because I view them as the best.

You can say whatever you want but you'll find your opinion on Reate is in the minority.

Interesting concept. Would be neat if you could find a way to keep a spare blade insert in the handle

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Very cool concept. I like it a lot. I can see a lot of potential with this knife and this design concept.

Interesting knife. I cant help but see my peanut butter and jelly getting stuck in there and how there is more area to clean.

I have a very negative reaction to this knife, and always had. I am sad to see that it will be a midtech from Reate. I thought they might have better judgment than that.

Just as rarity does not necessarily equate to desirability, neither does being "unique", or "different".

OK. Not for me either.

Now you lost me. Why do you care if somebody makes a knife you don't like? Just pass the knife by.

Forums are for talking about things like our opinions. You might've noticed.:thumbup:

And yet you told him to not post his opinion but to pass on by. I only suggested you do as you suggested.

No I didn't. I asked him a question about his reaction to the knife and suggested a different idea. "Passing by" the knife, not the thread.

You know, I was talking to him. :confused:

My bad Boss. I misread your post :thumbup:

Gotcha. No worries. I'll edit the post to make it clearer.

^^^ Just my opinion of course, but BladeForums should start requiring an psychological evaluation/application process before allowing just anyone to join this forum...

On a positive note: thank God there is a BladeForums! :thumbup: Imagine how much more peaceful the home life is for the people who have to cohabitate with these types! It must be pure bliss around the house, when they see these guys sit down and start keystroking away on their computers eating their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... :D

Got to play with the Kaizen splitblade midtech prototype engineered and designed by Mike Nguyen and produced by Reate. Talk about one smooth operator and an incredible action. I own one of Mike's customs and this baby has the same feel in the hand, the way the blade rockets out, and effortlessly closes. Needless to say, I am impressed!

^ On a even more positive note: a very cool, innovative knife! :thumbup: Mike/Pittknife, really comes up with some very interesting, very unique designs. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lol. A misunderstanding ends peaceful and Kelma stirs the pot. Was he once a mod? Such a shame

^^^ Just my opinion of course, but BladeForums should start requiring an psychological evaluation/application process before allowing just anyone to join this forum...

On a positive note: thank God there is a BladeForums! :thumbup: Imagine how much more peaceful the home life is for the people who have to cohabitate with these types! It must be pure bliss around the house, when they see these guys sit down and start keystroking away on their computers eating their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... :D

^ On a even more positive note: a very cool, innovative knife! :thumbup: Mike/Pittknife, really comes up with some very interesting, very unique designs. :thumbup: :thumbup:

They sure should .

:confused:

Design is not for me. Don't like the looks of it.

They will not, screws do not absorb the stress. The blade insert has columns that go into the chassis, they are design to take all of the stress from impact. I have video up on my ig of me hitting it with a mini sledge hammer. I also put a proto into a one ton arbor and the pivot on the handles failed before the blade insert did.

As far as gunk and debris, it's very easy to blow out or clean, the gaps are big enough where stuff can be pushed out but it takes less than 30 seconds to remove the blade. You have a better chance of getting debris stuck in the gap between the handles.

Awesome thanks for clearing that up for me. I need to check out the video's of it. :thumbup:

Could you provide a little more info?

Well , i hate the three screws on the blade spine. I can see lint and crap getting wedged in there often. And will these screws back out over time ? I doubt thread locker is a practical solution here. The handle looks as plain as plain can be. No machining at all ? That would help with grip as well as asthetics. Also , I hate flippers.

So in conclusion , I'm sure this knife and it's unique approach appeal to some people. Just not to me. To each their own.

Well , i hate the three screws on the blade spine. I can see lint and crap getting wedged in there often. And will these screws back out over time ? I doubt thread locker is a practical solution here. The handle looks as plain as plain can be. No machining at all ? That would help with grip as well as asthetics. Also , I hate flippers.

So in conclusion , I'm sure this knife and it's unique approach appeal to some people. Just not to me. To each their own.

you know I didn't think of the lint and stuff accumulating in the holes. That would definitely bug me. I would think some blue thread locker would be fine. As mentioned they are not the main component seeing the stress, so thread locker would simply be there to keep em from backing out. While the handles do look plain, I do like the light texture shown in the pics. To me I think the handle could benefit from some design features but to be honest I like quite a few knives with simple slabs of Ti. As for your hatred of flippers....I can say I love em. To each their own. Good points either way Wolverine. :thumbup:

I wonder if it could also be made without the holes in the blade? Would not look as cool, but then nothing would get stuck in the middle of the blade

you know I didn't think of the lint and stuff accumulating in the holes. That would definitely bug me. I would think some blue thread locker would be fine. As mentioned they are not the main component seeing the stress, so thread locker would simply be there to keep em from backing out. While the handles do look plain, I do like the light texture shown in the pics. To me I think the handle could benefit from some design features but to be honest I like quite a few knives with simple slabs of Ti. As for your hatred of flippers....I can say I love em. To each their own. Good points either way Wolverine. :thumbup:

Yes , everyone has their own likes and dislikes. And although flippers aren't my thing , I can respect the fact that you quite enjoy them. Variety is the spice of life. Thankfully there's a huge selection of knives from a huge selection of makers/manufacturers so that we can all find something we like :)

Back