Chefs Choice 120

I just tried the chefs choise 120 electric sharpener at a booth and it gave a really sharp edge to my surprise. Does anyone have any opinions on this sharpener? Does it remove too much metal? I will be using it on my benchmade auto folding knives.

I have used this same model and along with similar electric sharpeners on inexpensive kitchen knives that get considerable use. That is the only scenario where I could see myself recommending these sharpeners to anyone, in a commercial setting with cheap knives. Most the knives I see that go through these sharpeners have very uneven grind lines. With lots of practice you can get decent results and minimize the excessive loss of material, but you still have the limited edge angle disadvantage these electric sharpeners have. If you like the idea of an electric sharpener, check out the Worksharp Sharpener which is inexpensive, provides edge angle options and is easier to master.

If you are willing to sharpen freehand, Smiths 8 inch Diamond Tri-Hone Sharpening System is much better than chefs-choice(s) enclosed abrasive wheels machine.

The biggest drawback with 'enclosed wheels' is 0.25 to 0.75 inch of the blade heel (next to sharpening notch/bolster) won't touch the wheel, effectively shorten your blade by that length. Ya sure, motorize sharpening machines love to steal your blade metal, so don't blink. Does one angle fits all? Nah.

Im willing to learn to freehand sharpen. What would be my best money spent on stones to get me started? Is the main drawback of freehand stones that it will take me much longer to sharpen my knife or what?

I started with a Norton IB8 many years ago. It is still my most used stone. Doesn't take me very long to sharpen a knife, but I don't let them get very dull before they get touched up.

Freehand may take more practice and patience to learn. I've tried some different systems, but have always gone back to freehand on a bench stone.

If you have the patience, I'd go free hand.

Ric

Im willing to learn to freehand sharpen. What would be my best money spent on stones to get me started? Is the main drawback of freehand stones that it will take me much longer to sharpen my knife or what?

Freehand requires some displine your willingness to learn (watch videos, read posts) and lot of practice. You attain basic skills - says in a few hrs of practice. Make your knives sharp beyond normal uses would be fast. Making them look all fancy, that just takes time & lots of care. You can touch up sharpen a blade in 30 seconds (sharpen + a couple swipes on plain strop).

Start out, watch HeavyHanded's videos, get that stone. Buy some w&d SiC sandspaper in various(600, 1000, 1500) grits. Cut w&d into smaller strips, turn it into a stone by wrap around a piece of wood. Make an endgrain paper strop (again HeavyHanded's idea) for cleanup your final edge.

The Chef's Choice electric sharpener is the perfect device for someone who is more interested in cutting up their food than in sharpening their knives. It is NOT the ideal choice for knife lovers. Its target demographic is the typical home kitchen meal-maker who would rather spend 20 seconds getting their knives ready for prep work than 20-30 minutes getting a very good edge. Although ALL sharpeners require some practice to get decent edges, the Chef's Choice will give a 'serviceable' edge after one or two tries. Yes, it removes much more metal than any hand-operated device, and yes, the edge is much more ragged than if it were sharpened on stones by hand. But if used once a week by the home kitchen cook, their $50 knife will still last them 10 years. That's still less than a penny a day. And hopefully by that time they will meet someone who teaches them the value of using better quality knives. We who are knife lovers have difficulty understanding the mentality of people who would buy a full set of 'Ginsu' knives, but the reality is there are hundreds of sets bought every day. That's why there are racks full of knives for sale in the Dollar Stores. The Chef's Choice is the ideal sharpener for those folks. Just not for us folks!

Stitchawl

I disagree. I don't use one anymore (I use paper wheels), but I used a Chef's Choice for several years. It does not remove excessive metal. It leaves a nice even sharp edge. I don't like the inability to sharpen near the heel.

+1 on what Benoulli said...Herb

Hey thanks! The last time I tried to inject reality into sharpening (it's not rocket science) I was roundly chastised. When I bought my Chef's Choice, I was allowed to test it on one of my knives. I compared edges under a 10X loupe and saw that it produced a very nice, etc. edge. I don't like its limitation sharpening the heel, but it's a good basic fast sharpener if you follow the instructions. Tips can be tricky as well.

I prefer my paper wheels of course. They give me control over the heel and the tip.

Hey thanks! The last time I tried to inject reality into sharpening (it's not rocket science) I was roundly chastised.

I think people are quick to "chastise" about different ways to sharpen and/or what you use to obtain the end results thinking that what they use/do is the best or only way. If that were true, then there would be an awful lot of MFGS going broke. What works for you, or for me may not work for someone else. I think it is ok to inject into the conversation what may work for us and how we get to those results without down grading someone elses system or methods.

If someone is asking about a system or a way to improve the results of what they use, then we can/should give advice. Also I think it is relevant to post our success in new or improved methods using the system we have chosen to sharpen our knives.

There is a wealth of information on this forum about everything knives, and some excellent videos recently posted by members here that we can all use and learn from even if we don't use that particular type of device.

This forum is to share ideas and knowledge about the subject of knives. The key operative word here is Share.
I will now step down off my soap box. Have a Blessed day!

Omar
:rolleyes:

So i committed the ultimate knife sin and bought the chefs choice 120. My question now is what can i do after i run my knives through this sharpener to make them hold the razor sharp edge longer than just one cut? Stropping? Suggestions?

Clay from Wicked Edge recently posted some photos of an edge sharpened with a Chef's Choice...

4e643266356d93489edaa6e526b82d8c.jpg

90efba1487c1dcb08ad36ae6de1f946e.jpg

Source: http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=11&id=6921&Itemid=63

After running my knife through the chefs choice 120 it is sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm though. So how do you explain that? Only problem I see with it is the fact that it doesnt seem to hold the edge very well. Any suggestions on how to get the blade to hold the edge better?

I don't think you will be able to get the blade to hold the edge any longer than it does now. Look at the photos of the edge posted above. Your edges will shave hair maybe, but if you want to cut more than the hair on your arm, the edges will collapse, break, or at best bend over and therefore not be sharp when used on real world jobs. Cutting on hard ceramic plates, counter tops, etc will only speed up the damage. Try only cutting on a wood or soft plastic cutting board for longer edge retention. The ultimate answer is another type of sharpener, or live with semi sharp knives most of the time. I don't mean to come across as a smart @@@, but your system has severe limitations for really good knife maintenance. Just my $0.02 worth and of course is only my opinion.

Omar

Why not go with a Lansky or Gatco system? I have never had any luck with electric models, I gave mine away. It is not hard work using the Gatco that I have. Even a re-profile takes a total of 15 minutes at most. I start with coarse diamond and work towards fine getting a burr with each then strop with green Bark River compound. Easy peasy.

Would i be better off with the worksharp belt sander system?

If you are sharpening mainly kitchen knives, then the work sharp is ideal. I have one and got excellent results with it. I still use it for major re-profiling and use on garden type tools. I also used it to shape a handle on some strops I made. Great little versatile tool that you will get almost instant success with. I wouldn't trade for mine. I also have a set of paper wheels that I use on my folders and hunting knives. I use the slotted paper wheel to strop my kitchen knives and keep them in tip top shape.
There are lots of systems out there, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The work sharp probably has the shortest learning curve for excellent results.

Omar

No kitchen knives for me, i just have a few benchmade auto folders (AFO and reflex) with the 154cm blades. I tried the benchstones with not much luck.

Back