Recommendation? Chefs or gyuto

So I have a Kramer Damascus (zwilling henckels) right now and I’m looking for something that looks and feels great with a super steel preferably stainless (zdp-189 etc.) 210 mm long and preferably Japanese style although western is ok too. I’m open to custom and my price range is between 400 and 800 usd if I’m doing custom I’d prefer a very experienced knife maker any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would recommend going to the CKTG website as they offer a bunch of 210 mm gyutos. I don't think you have to spend 400-800 for a quality gyuto. I will list a few that are close to your specs as possible. All are on the Chef Knives To Go website. They are a great company to deal with.

Last edited:
Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm
Shibata Kashima R-2 Gyuto 220mm Custom
Gihei Zuika ZDP-189 Gyuto 210mm
Sukenari ZDP189 Damascus Gyuto 210mm
Sukenari ZDP 189 Gyuto 210mm Hairline
Sukenari R-2 Gyuto 210mm

None of the above listed knives are custom knives. Go to Knife Makers Discussion Forum then click on Knife Makers for Sale Area then click on For Sale: Kitchen Knives. You will find all kinds of already made blades in a variety of steels from custom makers. Keep an eye on this section for a few weeks and you will see knives from dozens of makers. Contact any of them who's knives look interesting and tell them exactly what you want ( steel, length, style, handle material, edge grind, etc.) I think you will be very happy with the results.

None of the above listed knives are custom knives. Go to Knife Makers Discussion Forum then click on Knife Makers for Sale Area then click on For Sale: Kitchen Knives. You will find all kinds of already made blades in a variety of steels from custom makers. Keep an eye on this section for a few weeks and you will see knives from dozens of makers. Contact any of them who's knives look interesting and tell them exactly what you want ( steel, length, style, handle material, edge grind, etc.) I think you will be very happy with the results.
Reread the original post. He said he is open to custom. He never said it had to be a custom.

He is open to custom but almost all you gave him were mass produced Japanese knives. I gave him the options for custom. Do you work for a Japanese knife dealer, by any chance?

No connection to any knife company nor dealer. I don't even know the owners of CKTG, but they have great customer service and a lot of information available on Youtube.

I typically recommend Chef Knives To Go but I am sure there are other great websites that are similar. They have a great selection of knives and are extremely knowledgeable about JNATS, gyutos, etc.

Tadastuna and suisin both look very nice.
That said for your price range your into full on custom. I don't work with stainless, mainly w2 because it holds a very fine edge very well, and damascus because it looks great and also preforms well. That said, if your firm about stainless I don't think you should have any problem finding a maker who works stainless.

Last edited:
I'm finishing a chef knife in Vanax Superclean but is just 200mm, sorry

It will look like this:

25443237_2002733533340752_9203846874278988527_n.jpg

Back