Chicago Cutlery Slicer Info

IMG-20181207-080533-01.jpg

My dad got this for me (I'm guessing at least 25 years ago, probably closer to 30) and its finally going to kiss its' first home-smoked brisket this Christmas dinner.

Can't really find a lot of info online about it so thought I'd ask (and show it off a bit). Still wicked sharp and handle is tight. Really never used it - it's as close to perfect as I know.

Anyways, if you're bored and feel like sharing any info about the maker and/or thoughts on these, it's greatly appreciated. Happy holidays.

IMG-20181207-080555-01.jpg

CC started in 1969 selling to the public and by the late 70's and early eighties they were ubiquitous. Handle woods were often walnut but not always. That looks like walnut. I would guess 70's to early 80's because of the handle and font. They are remaking some of the the walnut series, in China, but the font is different and the grinds are not quite the same.

They are really off on the chefs compared to original.

Back in there heyday they were respectable blades but once sold to World Kitchen it began to drop, once the founder died everything went to China and not even a shadow of themselves.

Because of the taper grind you may find that doesn't want to stick on a magnetic strip.

Jim

My mom's favorite knife for over 30 years has been a CC utility knife. She has almost worn the blade down now. I got her a new one and she does not like it. To be fair, this one was advertised as carbon and it came SS. She wants Carbon only. But, as the post above said, it probably isn't in the same ballpark as the old ones.

Back