Chicago Pocketknife Co.

arrowhd

Gold Member
Hi everyone. I picked up this old guy today and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this brand? Never heard of it myself. An internet search turned up basically nothing. Just curious as it seems like a very well made knife. Now for the best part, the photos...

6IulPn4.jpg

aEqW3jo.jpg

Looks like a good knife that got a lot of use. The sharpening choil is gone from seeing a stone a lot. I guess that meant it was used enough to need a sharpening now and then for. lot of years. Some light pitting but nothing too severe. Wood scales not shrunk away from bolsters so it was oiled or just good quality wood to start.

Love the long pulls!

What kind of wear in on the pen blade?

Nice Knife. Three of my favorite things on a knife - spear blade, long pull and wood.

No idea, but U.S. made, carbon steel, flushed pins, Cocobolo wood handles?, spear blade, long pull, and is that a lanyard hole? Looks like a keeper to me! Congrats, beautiful knife.

Looks like a good knife that got a lot of use. The sharpening choil is gone from seeing a stone a lot. I guess that meant it was used enough to need a sharpening now and then for. lot of years. Some light pitting but nothing too severe. Wood scales not shrunk away from bolsters so it was oiled or just good quality wood to start.

Love the long pulls!

What kind of wear in on the pen blade?

Unfortunately the pen blade is nearly gone. It was definitely well used and loved but not abused.
BmDYpcO.jpg

MZYuKnI.jpg

R0y8W6o.jpg

I'll take an uneducated stab at your question. Chicago Pocketknife probably wasn't a knife manufacturer. The knife was most likely contract made by a cutler, and Chicago Pocketknife was probably a distributer.

Who made it? Likely suspects include Schrade, Utica, Imperial and Camillus, and probably a dozen more. I'm guessing that it was made sometime between 1930 and 1960.

It might be interesting to post this in Bernard Lavine's subforum.

I'll take an uneducated stab at your question. Chicago Pocketknife probably wasn't a knife manufacturer. The knife was most likely contract made by a cutler, and Chicago Pocketknife was probably a distributer.

Who made it? Likely suspects include Schrade, Utica, Imperial and Camillus, and probably a dozen more. I'm guessing that it was made sometime between 1930 and 1960.

It might be interesting to post this in Bernard Lavine's subforum.

Looks like who ever it was also made straight razors. Founds this photo off an old eBay listing.
lM1XDlv.jpg

I'm no expert either but my guess is that it is older.

Voyles "Antique Knives" has a listing for Chicago Pocket Knife co. but no dates.

Goins has a listing, but just says "after 1940", nothing more.

Looks like who ever it was also made straight razors. Founds this photo off an old eBay listing.
lM1XDlv.jpg

I'm no expert either but my guess is that it is older.
I would say 1920 or earlier and likely Schrade or Challenge manufacture.

I don't think that's Schrade, they didn't put long pulls on their pen blades.

Eric

I don't think that's Schrade, they didn't put long pulls on their pen blades.

Eric
Not many companies did put long pulls on their pens. Might be a clue to the manufacturer!!:rolleyes:

That's just what I was thinking Charlie. I've seen a few but can't recall the manufacturer.o_O

Eric

That's just what I was thinking Charlie. I've seen a few but can't recall the manufacturer.o_O

Eric
I have some German knives with very American sounding names like Armstrong and Peters Bro’s that have long pull secondaries. That practice of deceptive branding was an impetus behind the cutlery tariffs around the turn of the last century. Something to consider anyway.

Back