Chimera Question?

Can this knife be had without the serations??

I see some dealers have it pictured looking like a plain edge.

Never mind, I have seen it on enough websites, it has to be legit.

Great move Ontario. I liked everything about the knife except the serations. This thing looks to be a tank. Reviewers call it large, but well balanced. Mixed reviews on the edge some saying it comes sharp, others not so much.

One guy said the parkerized coating wore off after sliding it in and out of the sheath a few times. I have to believe he is daft. That is the problem with internet reviews. They're internet reviews. They're just not reliable.

I managed to pull this review of my SP-10 off without ever leaving ma's basement. Sorry about the carpet ma!

It's amazing what you can make out of an end table. Sorry 'bout that too ma!

Last edited:
One guy said the parkerized coating wore off after sliding it in and out of the sheath a few times. I have to believe he is daft. That is the problem with internet reviews. They're internet reviews. They're just not reliable.

It does have the same sheath as the original Chimera and the OKC3S, so it's secured in place. That does mean there's some rubbing against the phosphate, and you'll get lines in it. "Wore off" seems a bit of an extreme description.

As for the edge on those, it should come razor sharp, but we've discussed here that we know we had some issues with that for a while. It's a lot better now, but the first run of the plain edge Chimera was almost a year ago, so you might get an older one. You guys know better than anyone that we'll always make it right if you have an issue with one of our knives.

Never mind, I have seen it on enough websites, it has to be legit.

Great move Ontario. I liked everything about the knife except the serations. This thing looks to be a tank. Reviewers call it large, but well balanced. Mixed reviews on the edge some saying it comes sharp, others not so much.

I managed to pull this review of my SP-10 off without ever leaving ma's basement. Sorry about the carpet ma!

It's amazing what you can make out of an end table. Sorry 'bout that too ma!

I was hoping that the Chimera would be offered in plane edge, I have the SP6 and its been a great knife. Am I wrong or is the Chamira the same knife as the SP6 but wearing some added tacticool beafyness?

I searched the net for "Ontario Chimera Tang" and Tang Xray, not much out there.

Their website says this,
"The 13 5/8-inch OKC Chimera features a phosphated full-tang blade, built for ruggedness,"

A bare bones knife would be good to see.

I have to believe that the tang goes to/through the butt cap. Obviously it is not a full exposed tang. The technical description of a full tang knife seems to vary widely from company to company. To me this looks like a hidden tang, or rat tail tang. I think it gets called a full tang because it is one piece of steel from tip to butt cap. Not some welded on, threaded bolt, like some cheaper knives utilize.

I would love to see a bare knife or an x-ray of one. But in truth, the potential stress risers always concern me more with any knife like this. Right angles can create a lot of issues with a blade.

Given this knife's design parameters, and the amount of marketing Ontario has put behind it. I have to believe it will be a survivor. But I have no factual basis to back that up. Other than a draw full of Ontario knives I have beat the snot out of without out a failure.

The short answer here is that it has as much tang as we can fit inside the handle. It looks a little thin here, mostly because I'm a horrible photographer, but that's the concept: the outer handle material has to be a certain thickness to avoid a weak point, the tang takes up the rest of the available space. It's similar to the Spec Plus series, and a knife I'll rely on any day of the week.

UanDg8x.jpg

Is the guard welded to the blade ? How is it attached ?

Ah, this is no fair, this thread has turned into smart guy questions. The whole knife is made within a certain tolerance so the crossguard can be held on by the handle. The butt cap is screwed on and secured, so it's not going anywhere.

Are these available in Germany without the serrations? I checked Böker, and there you can only get the serrated version (yet)...

ETA: And has the non-serrated version a sharpened swedge?

So what is better for general purpose use?

Plain Edge?

Or Serrated Edge?

Use would be general purpose but also having to cut set belts if needed is one example.

Back