chinese made knives shortages

jbmonkey

I'm going to r/kennyland
Platinum Member
coming soon due to wuhan flu? or not?

I'm in a different industry but already seeing some shortages. hearing, not facts, cargo ain't moving or getting loaded due to not enough labor not working for obvious reasons. not wanting to be political, so dont make the thread about that please.......but are we gonna see shortages.......and will it turn into supply and demand shortages coverting into price raising? guess we'll find out. just been thinking about it in my industry and went to buy a chinese made civivi damascus model knife and saw certain models starting to disappear supply wise.

yeah we have great american made stuff like Buck, as one example, so no knife shortages in general .......just stuff for now coming from china is what I'm thinking about.

yeah I know many here dont buy chinese knives. l already said it for you. :D

not wanting to be political, so dont make the thread about that please...

in b4 thread close

They probably have warehouses completely full of backstock. Plus there's so many Chinese knife companies I really don't think this is something we should worry about.

in b4 thread close

They probably have warehouses completely full of backstock. Plus there's so many Chinese knife companies I really don't think this is something we should worry about.
if stored here, but if ain't loading boats then what?

Some medical supplies ,equipment , drugs etc are already short and I see hoarding/price gouging .

I just ordered some N95 type mask filters . Hard to find and huge price increase from normal .

With labor costs rising in China, some things have already started moving to other Asian Pacific manufacturers.

In general, I expect more consumer goods to be affected by 'panic buying' which will recover in a couple of months back to normal levels of trade. Personally, I think trade tariffs were a much bigger impact overall.

In my case, I have a knife shipping from China that is moving very slowly but, it is moving towards its exit from China. Whether it hits an airport or container port is the open question right now.

I would expect to see Chinese cutlery makers running into the same production problems that other manufacturers in China are. Bear in mind it's not just the factory but transportation and distribution systems as well. Yangjiang is some 750 miles from Wuhan but most of China is now affected by COVID-19 and the various steps being taken to control it.

Some medical supplies ,equipment , drugs etc are already short and I see hoarding/price gouging .

I just ordered some N95 type mask filters . Hard to find and huge price increase from normal .
For sure there will be a massive mask shortage worldwide, China alone accounts for approximately 50% of mask production(AFAIK), and their capacity is approximately 20 million per day(if they are all back to work, which they aren't). If everyone in China(1.3 billion) wear a mask per day for prevention, they will not even have enough for their own usage.

I would expect to see Chinese cutlery makers running into the same production problems that other manufacturers in China are. Bear in mind it's not just the factory but transportation and distribution systems as well. Yangjiang is some 750 miles from Wuhan but most of China is now affected by COVID-19 and the various steps being taken to control it.
That is definitely true. Yangjiang is Solingen to Germany, most majority of cutlery produced in China are manufactured there. Luckily, Yangjiang belongs to Guangdong Province, but not Hubei Province(where Wuhan is), so the transportation and logistic will not be completely shut down. But you are quite right about the slowdown, most workers are just slowly coming back to work(for manufacturing) but whether people in the logistic/distribution industry are willing to all come back to work promptly after CNY is a big question.

There will be some shortages, but it won't last forever.
Some delivery services no longer work since they refuse to fly their people to China to get the packages, but it should all be back to normal with time.
I do order stuff from Aliexpress sometimes, generally good stuff for low cost. I see China bashing on this forum a lot, mainly from people in America.

I'm European so I won't get into it. If the price is right, and the product is decent - I'll buy it.
Whatever I ordered from there would come within 3 weeks, tracking worked and shipping was free.
As opposed for local and other services - I make order from other European country and wait for it for a month, tracking does not work. With paid shipping it still comes later than promised, and tracking does not work. Once they messed up the adress and asked me to pay the shipping again when package returned, I was so furious I just asked for refund. Since I gave them correct adress, they messed it up themself.
Shipping from USA - very expensive, and again - tracking is non existent. Also 2 months long wait first time, and second time my package got lost and I waited 3 months for a refund.

So it is obvious why I buy from China.

I am waiting anxiously for my Brian Nadeau/SBD Micro Evo to arrive.

Last edited:
Update on the Chinese shipping situation
renderTimingPixel.png

Just came across this link for anyone interested:

https://www.joc.com/international-logistics/china’s-trucking-sector-shows-flicker-normalcy_20200218.html

Full text below if the link above doesn't work for you:

Trucking and depot businesses in China are showing a slow and patchy resumption of operations after crashing to a virtual halt after the Chinese New Year holiday was extended due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak that has crippled factory and industrial output.

Wintry weather in northern China last weekend has created a further challenge, weighing on the return to work at terminals in Dalian, Tianjin, and Qingdao. That comes even as businesses scramble for swift transport options, including air and rail, freight forwarders said.

“Business is recovering with a massive amount of opportunities. Clients are searching for urgent solutions, including aircraft charters and rail between China and Europe,” said one Hong Kong freight forwarder.

Highlighting the impact of the anti-virus measures on China’s trucking industry, a senior Hong Kong-based executive at a European logistics company told JOC.com: “Trucking and traffic limitations remain a major issue, but this is slowly improving.”

“Trucking capacity is much better in north China with around 70 to 80 percent availability as the drivers mainly come from provinces in China,” the executive said. “In central and south China, the recovery is much slower with operations only at 20 to 40 percent capacity as many drivers are from Hubei and surrounding provinces where the epidemic is more widespread.”

“The most critical trucking situation is in Ningbo and all of Zhejiang Province where only 10 to 20 percent of trucks are available because the area is still under restriction and partial lockdown,” the source added.

Authorities in Zhejiang Province have recently published guidance on what measures trucking companies need to take to resume operations, probably from February 23, that will also affect work at the container terminals in Ningbo.

Echoing the Hong Kong executive’s views, Maersk China said, “Trucking capacity remains a key challenge due to local policies and restrictions.”

Hapag-Lloyd said in a customer advisory on Tuesday that all terminals and depots were now open. “However, some are still operating at limited capacity. Furthermore, truckers’ shortage remains an issue,” the carrier said.

CMA CGM and APL said its offices in China would only return to full operations from March 2, although staff would continue to work remotely. Normal operations not expected until at least March

The resumption of operations is being slowed because of strict measures imposed by local authorities to tackle the virus, including submission of an implementation plan by each business that must be approved before staff can resume work. As a result, normal operations for most factories and businesses are not expected until next month.

A Maersk China spokesperson told JOC.com that nationwide “most of our trucking suppliers have resumed operations,” although they are operating “with less than 50 percent of their staff, since all trucking companies must follow local restrictions to receive a permit to resume operations.”

“To mitigate the trucking capacity issue, Maersk is introducing a multi-modal bundle service along the Yangtze river, especially in the Suzhou, Wuxi, and Changzhou areas,” she added. “Trucks will connect to barge or rail services serving Maersk’s Shanghai container terminals and make empty equipment available in these city areas.”

But there are pockets where trucking is operating almost normally.

Hacis, the cross-border trucking company owned by Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals, said none of its services have been suspended so far and the only disruption to normal operations was the extension of the Chinese New Year holiday to February 9 by the Guangdong provincial government.

Vivien Lau, Hacis managing director, told JOC.com the Hong Kong and Guangdong governments have exempted truckers from border closures introduced to prevent the spread of the virus, provided they pass frontier health inspections, including temperature checks.

Hacis provides freight services between Hong Kong International Airport and a raft of destinations in China, including the Pearl River delta bordering Hong Kong and further north to cities such as Xiamen and Chongqing.

In Jinan, capital of northern China’s Shandong Province, Jennifer Jiang, export manager of truck and crane supplier Qingong International Group, said the virus outbreak has had little impact on its business.

“We started work from last week,” she said. “There is no problem for truck production and delivery. It is busy because of more orders.”

The Hong Kong logistics executive said most warehouses in China’s coastal cities reopened last week, but with limited activity due to the labor and truck shortages. But he pointed out that large factories are resuming operations much faster, while a lot of small factories in central and southern China will only restart operations at the beginning of March.

Companies including Tesla, Honeywell, computer maker Lenovo, and agricultural giant Cargill all confirmed most of their plants resumed work on February 10. But others, including Hong Kong-listed printed circuit board maker Confidence Intelligence, said Tuesday they have yet to hear from the authorities in Shenzhen when it will be able to restart production. Reefer situation in Shanghai still unsettled

Pointing to the terminal situation, the Hong Kong logistics executive said the reefer situation in Shanghai and at Tianjin’s Xingang terminals remains serious. Reefers for state-owned food processing company COFCO are receiving priority at the two ports.

“Qingdao is becoming the key port for accommodating excessive reefers for Shanghai and Ningbo,” the source said.

Both Fuzhou and Shantou are experiencing low productivity with about 60 percent trucker availability.

In Wuhan, capital of central China’s Hubei Province and where the outbreak of the coronavirus was first reported in December, the local government has announced depot operations will not resume until at least February 21.

Wintry weather has added to shippers’ woes, with snow over the weekend in Dalian, Tianjin, Qingdao, and Lianyungang slowing the release and return of empty containers where volumes are 50 percent of normal levels. Fog has also affected operations at Shanghai and Xiamen.

The Hong Kong logistics executive estimated that more than 1 million TEU of capacity has been withdrawn on Far East-west board routes until week 13 — March 23-29. “A massive shortfall of capacity is anticipated from Europe in April and May,” he said.

China Renaissance, a Hong Kong-based brokerage, said delays in the resumption of work due to the extended holiday and virus-related restrictions could cost 1,371 billion RMB ($196 billion) in lost GDP. But this could be offset by a gain of 1,106 billion RMB in GDP if firms ramp up production in March.

“Logistics, including distribution of goods both locally and nationwide, is one of the biggest bottlenecks at this point amid the virus outbreak,” the brokerage said in a research report on Monday.

“Due to the virus outbreak, even in tier-1 cities with higher volumes than lower-tier cities, logistics demand this year is below 30 percent and volume stands only at about 10 percent of normal volumes after Chinese New Year,” the brokerage added.

I think most people here would definitely pay multiples of the current price for a knife if the delivery time was delayed for days or weeks.

I do order stuff from Aliexpress sometimes, generally good stuff for low cost. I see China bashing on this forum a lot, mainly from people in America.

I'm European so I won't get into it. If the price is right, and the product is decent - I'll buy it.

And Ali******* is notorious for selling knockoffs. Which hurts the knife community far worse than a flu outbreak.

There is no justification for buying from them. Doesn't matter if he price or quality is good, you are still supporting theft. :thumbsdown:

And Ali******* is notorious for selling knockoffs. Which hurts the knife community far worse than a flu outbreak.

There is no justification for buying from them. Doesn't matter if he price or quality is good, you are still supporting theft. :thumbsdown:
I don't buy knives there. Both knives I bought were bought directly in store of Cold Steel distributor.

I buy phone cases, sharpening stones and other such stuff from China.
It works well, I only have good experience so far, and it is still very cheap.

... is notorious for selling knockoffs. Which hurts the knife community far worse than a flu outbreak.

Such reasoning treats a particular global marketplace as if it were an American knife dealer. It's not. It's a massive global market place with lots of independent sellers serving lots of places around the world. There is all kinds of stuff within that marketplace, not unlike the street bazaars of old. Some sellers specialize in clones or counterfeits of all sorts of things. Some do it with knives and yes, it is worth avoiding those particular sellers. However, there are also good sellers there who sell genuine goods made by reputable foreign companies such as Kizer.

It's worth pointing out that the largest online retailer in America, to which many of us probably have Prime memberships, also has some bad actors selling clones, counterfeits, or knives with phony steel stamps like Eafengrow. While I don't condone buying from Eafengrow, it would be absurd to accuse people using the overall platform of "supporting theft".

That said, proponents of this logic might want to look into all of their buying habits. For that matter, look into what the government does with the taxes you pay. You'll quickly find that the night is dark and full of terrors.

I don't buy knives there. Both knives I bought were bought directly in store of Cold Steel distributor.

I buy phone cases, sharpening stones and other such stuff from China.
It works well, I only have good experience so far, and it is still very cheap.

Good point. I doubt anybody here could find a phone case that isn't custom leather that's not made in China, and who wants to spend $150+ on a case for a phone you'll be upgrading in 1-2 years.

Back