Chinese made syderco knives

I was looking at a few chinese made spyderco knives on a well known auction site. In your opinion are they worth the money? Most of them that I looked at selling for $20 or so.

The only experience I had with their Chinese line is from my Tenacious, that said.. Yes it was definitely worth it. Heck of a blade for a helluva price.

The Tenacious is a great budget friendly folder, I liken it to the Kershaw Leek in terms of value. Mine's still in tip top shape after using it for a year or more every day. Even the black coating held up extremely well.

Yes but if it's new and selling for only $20 , likely a fake. Beware !
I agree. But I've owned the ambitious, persistance, tenacious, and resilience, and they are all great knives! The persistance was my main carry blade for about 2 years after it came out and they are worth every penny.
Byrd knives are not talked about a whole lot here, but very good as well. Especially for the price tag. I had the first gen robin and carried that one for almost a year and was happy with it. The fit and finish/quality looks like its gone up since then. I've been curious to try them out again.

I have a Resilience, it's decent. Big blade. Lots of fakes out there.

The Byrd line is around $20 but if it's a PM2 for $20 listed as OEM that's a buzzword used by counterfeit sellers to make you think it's the same. It's not. Check authorized dealers for standard pricing. If it's too far off you know it is a risk. Also look at the country of manufacture. The PM2 is made in Golden Colorado Earth, and is never made in China. Each manufacturer makes certain models and are pretty much exclusive to that location.

I highly recommend buying from one of the dealers that has a membership here. They don't sell fakes. eBay is full of fakes.

Bought a Byrd knife (the one comparable to the Endura) good price but the lockback spring rusted super fast and a lot. Then again for the money cannot complain other than that. I think it was around $25 or so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyderco

A large part of Spyderco knife production is outsourced to foreign contractors in countries such as Japan, Taiwan, Italy, and China.[12] (though many of their flagship knives are made in the US) Knives made with CPM S30V steel were previously all made in Golden, Colorado, USA, however Spyderco has recently begun shipping CPM-S30V to Taiwan to have their highest end knives produced there using this steel.

I agree. But I've owned the ambitious, persistance, tenacious, and resilience, and they are all great knives! The persistance was my main carry blade for about 2 years after it came out and they are worth every penny.
Byrd knives are not talked about a whole lot here, but very good as well. Especially for the price tag. I had the first gen robin and carried that one for almost a year and was happy with it. The fit and finish/quality looks like its gone up since then. I've been curious to try them out again.
The persistance was my first Spyderco knife and I was so impressed that I became A real fan . That was the one that got me started buying more. I just wouldn't buy any Spyderco product on that well known auction site. Authorized Spyderco dealers here on BF is the way to go. :):thumbsup:

Back