Chipped the tip on my TGLB :(

I was breaking up ice on my side porch a couple weeks ago and I chipped the tip on my TG. I'm assuming I hit a nail or something. I didn't notice it until I was cleaning it to put it away.

It isn't very noticeable...but it is bugging the crap out of me. Question is, do you guys think that if I take it to someone to sharpen it up (it has gotten pretty dull anyway and try as I may, I can not sharpen a convex blade), do you think this can be smoothed out without changing the profile of the blade too much?

TGtip_zpsa8cb12e9.jpg

I'm on my cell phone, but that just looks a little dented, not chipped. A sharpening will take care of it 100%.

Thanks guys. I thought that was the case but I just wanted to make sure.

Maybe its my eyes or my tablet resolution is low lol but I don't see any chips. Sharpening with sand paper of various grits is easy and affordable good opportunity to learn.

What they said. I wouldn't worry about it, sharpen it and use it. Practice convexing on something cheap at first it isn't hard to do and a great skill to know is how to sharpen your own knives.

The tip is chipped completely, I couldn't see one either, but it's not in the edge - the very tip is missing.

It might not sharpen out as easy as people are assuming here. The tip is one of the worst places to have to cut the edge back because the spine is closer at that point - it's harder to move back into the spine than it is the edge on most knives.

Someone that knows what they're doing will be able to take care of that though. I would probably do it myself a little each sharpening until the tip was pointed and sharp again, but you can concentrate on the tip and fix it. It will be a lot easier for someone with a grinder or other powered machinery.

ETA- really it's hard to tell form that picture. It looks like you're zoomed in a lot, and if the chip is very small (can't tell if that's just a fraction of the edge bevel or worse) it won't be much of a problem at all. If it's much bigger though, it's not going to be a walk in the park.

Sorry. My real camera isn't charged and my phone doesn't like to do macros. I added some more pics below to give some perspective.

Yes, I know I should learn to sharpen a convex blade. I have tried. I have failed. I have watched many tutorials and I've tried everything from sandpaper/mousepad, nail file sticks, leather and I just can't get it. I would love to have someone who knows what they are doing to show me and give me feedback with what I'm doing wrong but I haven't had that opportunity yet. I would rather not screw up my $500 knife so I will be taking it to someone who can do it right.

anybody who knows how to sharpen could fix that in minutes. No worries, it's nothin.

Probably shouldn't use a a $400 knife to chip ice off your porch. They make $20 tools specifically designed for that, just saying...

Of course. But how much fun is that? :) They make better tools to chop down trees too but I see a lot of that around here.

Ahhh, tip is gone... Fortunately just a little, It can be reprofiled easy enough. After I get some sleep I'll be happy to give you some pointers if someone else hasn't by then. Good luck..

Feezle. Practice sharpening it. I PROMISE it takes a LOT to screw it up. It won't mess up with a couple passes, there's a lot of steel there. And eventually you will be using it just as an excuse to sharpen it again.

I've done a similar damage to a Bowie knife of mine when I was 16. Took a small sharpening stone, and some patience. The tip is now slightly rounded off, but sharp! That was a lifetime ago. I still have the knife and it performs A1. Not a big issue, just take the time....

Please send your TGLB to us and we will fix it up for you, no problem at all! :thumbup: If you have any questions, let me know!

anybody who knows how to sharpen could fix that in minutes. No worries, it's nothin.

Probably shouldn't use a a $400 knife to chip ice off your porch. They make $20 tools specifically designed for that, just saying...

Of course. But how much fun is that? :) They make better tools to chop down trees too but I see a lot of that around here.

Ha! ...How true. But, if that ice gets hard (cold) enough, it is just like stabbing a rock. Hell, I almost cleaved off a couple of toes this year when I used the "proper tool" for ice, and it bounced off a chunk heading right for my foot which I was already moving quickly as if I dropped a Busse tip first towards it. Damn ice mutt smashed through a road pebble no problem (glad not my toe!), but I could barely see where it struck the ice first. Even a Busse knife tip can get cleaved or snapped off in the right ice...
...As easily as this CGFBM when it caught a rock on a full swing:

Mad_CGFBM_Experiment-3.jpg

Mad_CGFBM_Experiment-2.jpg

Mad_CGFBM_Experiment-4.jpg

I'd contact Garth first to see if the Shop can get a good tip back on it or if he's got any valuable advice for DIY fix. :)

Get an ice pick.
If you can't fix the dent, Busse has you covered. No worries.
Swinecosa :D

Back