Chisel ground; conventional v ground; v ground, chisel edge

What are the benefits/shortcomings of each of these three? Which do you prefer? Thanks for any advice!

Makers use different angles with similar styled blades, for example Tops typically uses very steep saber grinds that cut horribly, while Spartan's shallower saber grinds cut extremely well. It's impossible to compare 'grinds' unless you're talking about one specific knife vs another.

If you're talking specifically about Emerson's chisel and V ground knives I can tell you that the chisel ground Emersons have been slightly better cutters, for me, than their V ground knives. Both are as easy as it gets to sharpen.

The chisel grind is more of a jinto, war blade. I prefer a zero chisel on my customs.
The chisel "edge" is easier to maintain in the field.
The V grind cuts straight. Good for utility.
rolf

The chisel grind is more of a jinto, war blade. I prefer a zero chisel on my customs.
The chisel "edge" is easier to maintain in the field.
The V grind cuts straight. Good for utility.
rolf

I'll second you on the zero chisel.

Image from Emerson's site on their blade grinds:
EmersonGrinds.jpg

Using the above as reference, I've used Emerson's production chisel and production V grinds. I like the production V grind a lot. On my Mini-Commander and Horseman, it is just as easy to handle and control as the flat double V grind found on most other production knives. The production chisel grind, at least for me (on my CQC-7's), was a bit more difficult to control for making more precise cuts without using a ruler/straight edge as a guide. It cut fine, but they were slightly messier cuts, for lack of a better description.

The custom chisel looks like it would make for a wicked cutter. I've never handled a knife with such a grind tough. Closest would be a Scandi grind, and if I imagine halving the total inclusive angle of the edge on one of those, I'd expect it would be crazy sharp.

I know it will never happen, but I would pay a bit more to have my chisel edged Emersons to be on the opposite side. As a right handed person I still don't get it. I know why he does it, I have read about it in the past, but it causes me to have to cut things at a much higher angle then I would prefer.

I know it will never happen, but I would pay a bit more to have my chisel edged Emersons to be on the opposite side. As a right handed person I still don't get it. I know why he does it, I have read about it in the past, but it causes me to have to cut things at a much higher angle then I would prefer.

0rmRMBe.jpg

RwnLAUv.jpg

Sorry, have no idea, I saw your post and thought of a picture I had saved to my computer because I had no idea Emerson had ever made a right hand chisel grind at the time. But it has been done and there could be more!

Sorry, have no idea, I saw your post and thought of a picture I had saved to my computer because I had no idea Emerson had ever made a right hand chisel grind at the time. But it has been done and there could be more!

Not to mention a drop point Six; that is complete grail material there.

yes I would pay more for that to! I also can't grasp the chisel on the opposite side unless you are a lefty(?) That is the one thing about Emersons which turns me off is the chisel being on the wrong side. Can't even sharpen a pencil with the darn thing.

As a right hander, I find the left-ground chisel works very well if I'm cutting say, an apple, or anything that involves drawing the blade towards me. Can't do it with right ground chisels. There are customizers who will do re-blades if you really want a right-ground chisel.

Back