Chit Chat About Guns,,Reloading ,Ect

The remington model 700 is a popular choice, savage 10 fp, sako, cz, browning, fn, etc. Are you looking for a tactical style or a hunting style?

Oh and I forgot about ruger! The ruger m77 is a great .308 in my opinion and for $1000 you can almost buy 2. Last time I checked they were around $500-600.

thanks Emerson...I am looking through your selections now. I like the look of the Remington 700, but the only one that has the iron sights appears to be the BDL model, and I don't see it as being sold in the .308

its cool, i jsut like having the option to use them if something happens to the scope

Maybe Stumpbuster will join in, I know he has some knowledge on this subject for sure.

well i think i am going to have to forgo the iron sights on the .308 unless i want to go with something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html). Nothing else i have looked at is really inspiring me to go out and get one. If I do lose the iron sights I am thinking about going with something like the Remington model 7 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-seven/model-seven-synthetic.aspx).

Anyone have any experience with the "Scout" style rifles?

That little rascal would fit inside my favorite external frame backpack!

f0338602.jpg

Model

BLR Lightweight ’81 Takedown
Item Number
UPC
Caliber
308 Win.
Action Type
Short Action
Magazine Capacity
Barrel Length
20"
Nominal Overall Length
40"
Nominal Length of Pull
13 3/4"
Nominal Drop at Comb
7/8"
Nominal Drop at Heel
15/16"
Nominal Weight
6 lbs. 8 oz.
Rate of Twist
1 turn in 12 "
Site Radius
17 3/4"
Metal Finish
Blued
Wood Finish
Gloss Finish
Stock / Grip
Walnut
U.S. Suggested Retail
$1,019.99

yah i think thiws is going to be what i go with for the .308. And I really like how they made it with the option of mounting the scout scope. I think this will help allpot with keeping it zeroed after its taken apart and put back togeather.

Scout scope means safer for Ash....no chance of scope-ringed eye!

And yer right about scope being easier to keep zeroed,since it's on the barrel,not on the receiver.

Perfect padded carrying cases?

CountyComm SATCOM bag....full-length twin zippers; one wide shoulder sling strap....$48 each,with lotsa MOLLE attachment points....and the strap is long enough to wear it diagonally,across back or front.Tougher 'n nails.

~Gnarly

Browning never made a bad gun,period.

Man, truer words were never spoken. I have a Hi-Power from the early 80's that is still my favorite 9mm and shoots the best of any of my 9's still. And I am a 1911 devotee, and will be buried with one on my hip. My only problem is whether it should be a Government or Commander model. ;)

I handload .380, .38, .357, 5.7x28, 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, .45 LC, .223, 6mm, .308, and .300 WM, and probably others I forgot. If anyone needs any loads drop me a line. Been handloading for 30+ years and shoot 1-2 times per week.

Thanks for opening up a great subforum for those of us who roll our own Chris and Bill... you guys rock!

Lets keep this going. I'm a gun guy and love to head out to the range and get some target practice. I usually take a couple rifles and a couple handguns and usually spend 3+ hours at the range. I reload for most everything that I shoot including 30-06, 25-06, 300mag, 9mm, 45acp, and 357mag. I still need to pick up a set of 223 dies and some brass, so I can save a few buck shooting the ar15 that I built. I have a 40 s&w too, but don't have any plans to reload for that right now. I shoot a lot of 22lr too. They are a blast and nice and cheap to shoot.

I just picked up a Sig Sauer 1911-22 on Friday and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It needs to be cleaned up a bit and lubed before I take it out. I might take it out today and run a couple hundred rounds through it to see how it does. I'm planning a new 1911 in 45 soon, probably a stainless Springfield or Kimber. I'm also interested in getting into handgun hunting, so will probably be getting something in 44 mag or 45 colt and more than likely a Ruger.

If you go with the Kimber stainless Pro Carry .45 be prepared to swap out the recoil spring. Don't wait for anyone to tell you it will break in... ;)

I have the all stainless Pro Carry, which I now love, but it was a real pain when I first got it. It just wouldn't go back into battery after firing about half the time. The slide would end up about 1/8th inch back and I'd have to push it shut with my thumb. They kept telling me it needed to break in, give it 250 rounds... then give it 500 rounds... I cleaned that thing, lubed it, watched for uneven wear spots, on and on. It just wasn't reliable enough to actually use as a carry gun, even though that was it's purpose, and name!

I did a little research and found that my issue wasn't uncommon. Apparently the recoil spring they shipped them with wasn't really stong enough to bring some of the guns back into battery. Wolf Springs apparently discovered this early on and made an over strength spring for this gun because of it, and I quickly bought two. Bingo, problem went away and I've never had a problem ever since that first spring change.

Anyway, it's a great gun now, and it's what I carry on my boat to backcountry/Bahamas-type trips and is why I went with an all stainless gun. But if you have the slightest problem with out of battery issues don't wait for break in, just replace the recoil spring and you'll be good to go.

I think I'm actually going to go full sized when I do buy one. If I'm not mistaken the Pro Carry is a commander size isn't it? I'm thinking about a stainless Springfield Loaded or a Kimber Stainless II or somthing similar. I've really drooled over some Dan Wessons too and might just spend the extra cash and get one of them instead. They are supposed to make some very well built guns and they aren't plastered with writing like a lot of other ones out there. For a long time I wanted a Dan Wesson CBOB, but since they were discontinued they are tough to get ahold of and prices have really skyrocketed. For that gun I would have been ok with the commander size.

Yes it is Commander size. I have a Kimber Desert Warrior Government size that was incredibly accurate and reliable right out of the box, not stainless though.

My absolute favorite is an Ed Brown Special Forces that I got before the prices went sky high. I couldn't afford a new one now, but having been through many 1911's of various manufacturers and sizes it beats anything I've handled. There really is something special about a hand tuned 1911... ;)

Back