Choice between two knives

Which knife?

• Spyderco Para3 LW CTS-BD1N

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Kershaw Bareknuckle 20CV

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I found a spare $100 dollar bill and I'm thinking of getting a new knife. I've narrowed it down to two choices.

1. Spyderco Para3 Lightweight in CTS-BD1N
2. Kershaw Bareknuckle 20CV

They are two entirely differently sized knives with a big disparity in steels for about a dollar difference. I wanted to get some input from those with experience.

I like the Spyderco quality, I do not have a compression lock currently, and love the size on the Para3 for every day use. A big honkin' blade in 20CV is certainly appealing, too. I've heard the BD1N does well in edge retention, how much of a real-world difference is there between it and 20CV?

Edit: I've chosen to pick up the Spyderco Para3 LW, I feel like it will be a better fit for my needs. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Last edited:
Honestly the steel difference probably means little because of the heat treat on the 20cv it most likely will preform like you’d expect s30v to.
If you want a medium sized flipper with a cool blade shape get the 7777 if you want a compression lock lightweight smaller knife get the para 3.

The steel would be my last consideration between the two. I'd look at what I'm using the knife for. An aluminum handled knife at times feels slick, almost like it will slip out of your hands. Not all the time though. I'll consider if there'll be any times that the knife will be in wet conditions. Does it get really cold where you're at ?
Will you mind a flipper only ? Which one do you think will fit your hand better ?
Have you looked at the latest Kershaw Link in OD green and a 20CV blade ? It is assisted opening, but it has a little more grip with the design.
BTW, I do have a bareknuckle and I just picked up the Link.

I live in Missouri so it gets cold but not usually to the extreme. The summers are hot and humid, and I do spend time on the lake and river. The slick handles might be a problem, I know one of my all steel knives gets a little slick.

After watching some reviews and the Spyderco disassembly video I'm slightly leaning toward the Para3 LW, are there any real negatives to the knife that might make it a dealbreaker?

I live in Missouri so it gets cold but not usually to the extreme. The summers are hot and humid, and I do spend time on the lake and river. The slick handles might be a problem, I know one of my all steel knives gets a little slick.

After watching some reviews and the Spyderco disassembly video I'm slightly leaning toward the Para3 LW, are there any real negatives to the knife that might make it a dealbreaker?
You can't baton it through a concrete wall.

But no, not really, unless you have the sort of bear mittens that means it's too small for you.

I am in Missouri too.
I liked the Bareknuckle. The size fit me way better than the small PM3.

I have both. Several Para 3's and the Bareknuckle 20cv. Never had an issue with the Para's, both lightweights and standards. However, the Bareknuckle is @ KAI due to difficulties with the flipper. Several on the Forum and on YouTube have noted how hard it can be to activate some examples of the Bareknuckle. Mine was almost impossible to flip right out of the box & has not improved with a couple of months of use. Some have had the same problem, some have not. With 30 or so frame lock flippers from most of the major manufacturers on hand I've never seen this issue before. We'll see if KAI can/will make this particular knife functional once it's returned. But at this point I'm certainly not a fan. Just one person's experience.....so I voted for the Para 3.

Last edited:
I like the bare knuckle a lot except you have to keep your fingers off the lock or it will be extremely difficult to open. This can happen in general with frame locks but it seems much worse with the subframe lock.

I recently got a Bareknuckle and love it and I also like a lot about the PM3 but for me as a lefty if it isn't a lefty knife the compression lock isn't left hand friend. I also feel that in this choice your getting a bit more bang for your buck with the Bareknuckle.

I've always had a good luck with Spyderco products. The latest was one made from Maxamet. I got it by accident and now it's my new best friend.

The Para3 LW is incredible, but sadly does not fit my hand well. The Kershaw Bareknuckle is the best Kershaw in a long time IMO.

I'd advise to decide on which style knife , without regard to steel formula .

Overall , unless you just have a special attraction for the Bareknuckle ( 12% one star reviews on Amazon vs 0% one star for the Para 3 ) , I'd go with the P3 for proven reliability and user EDC application .

All I've got to say, honestly, is that they are both nice knives and you won't go wrong either way.
I'm partial to Spyderco for build quality and overall comfort/ ergos for everyday use, but the Kershaw is a very close 2nd

I have a Delica 4 and a native 5 and love each, size wise I'm guessing the para3 will be right up that alley.

The Para3 LW is incredible, but sadly does not fit my hand well. The Kershaw Bareknuckle is the best Kershaw in a long time IMO.

Too big, too small, awkward grip, or hot spots?

I've already got both but, if I didn't have them already, for me it would simply be a big vs small blade decision.

I've been on a Spyderco kick as of recently, and I don't own one at this second... So I'm all for the Spyderco right now.

I have a Delica 4 and a native 5 and love each, size wise I'm guessing the para3 will be right up that alley.

Too big, too small, awkward grip, or hot spots?

Too confined by the bump near the end of the handle, unlike the Sage5 that is comparatively flat.

"Lake and river" scream Para3 to me. I wouldn't want steel bearings on a water knife. Maybe if they were ceramic but they aren't.

I like the bare knuckle a lot except you have to keep your fingers off the lock or it will be extremely difficult to open. This can happen in general with frame locks but it seems much worse with the subframe lock.

I've bought two Bareknuckles in the past week. Sent the first back because it gave my finger a blood blister. I know about the sub frame lock issue and even when I was very careful it was a bear to flip.

I thought I got a lemon so I ordered and received a second because I do like the knife and ergos. Unfortunately, while this one was better it was still painful to open even when the lockbar is avoided. I just don't like knives I have to think about hand position when I am opening them. Sent this one back this morning.

I have never had a problem like this with a Spyderco so that's my vote.

I am a lefty and normal righty lockbar placement actually makes for easy left hand operation as I tend to more naturally grip in a way that puts little to no pressure on the lockbar and unlocking by having to pull inwards toward my palm with my thumb is also a simple natural motion. I got my Bareknuckle used but have had no real problems with the flipper it is strong detent for me but it is appropriately so that it has excellent retention and is not difficult to operate.

Back