Choice of the Pros

I've owned just about every popular multi-tool on the market. When it comes to "serious" work, I believe the Leatherman SuperTool is hard to beat.

Why? It has the best inner components. Most screwdrivers etc. on other tools are a bit on the short/thin side. Or, they are highly polished and can be slippery at times (slip off screws, etc. while working).

Sure, there may be fancier tools on the market (like the SwissTool), or more compact ones (like the Leatherman Wave). But, when it comes to hard work, I always grab my SuperTool first.

On the SuperTool package, it reads "Choice of the Pros". It's my choice too.

Anyone agree?

I've owned the Leatherman Supertool, and while I do agree that it is a heavy duty tool, I like the SOG PowerLock just a bit better.

Why? Because the pliers have the 'Compound Leverage' gearing system, which affords more 'bite'. Also, the implements are user changeable, with spares readily available directly from SOG at reasonable prices, so it can be customized to a certain degree by the user. I also like the implement lock much better on the SOG, as it doesn't get in the way when grasping the handles.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either tool, but the SOG wins out IMHO.

I've carried my ST200 for as long as I can remember.....my SuperTool before that(still in great working condition BTW). IMHO, there isn't another 'tool out there that can compete with this LM......

I've posted before that where I work, I issue the maintenance staff a multitool of their choice. One of them likes the Gerber, a few like Waves but the majority like the old Super Tool and Super Tool 200. I checked my stock yesterday and had 4 Super Tool 200s, 2 Gerbers and a Swiss Tool. SOGs are OK but Leathermans, Gerbers and Swiss Tools are more readily available from the industrial supplis that we purchase from.

CODE 3 said:
I've owned the Leatherman Supertool, and while I do agree that it is a heavy duty tool, I like the SOG PowerLock just a bit better.

Why? Because the pliers have the 'Compound Leverage' gearing system, which affords more 'bite'. Also, the implements are user changeable, with spares readily available directly from SOG at reasonable prices, so it can be customized to a certain degree by the user. I also like the implement lock much better on the SOG, as it doesn't get in the way when grasping the handles.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either tool, but the SOG wins out IMHO.

I like the SOG Power Plier, and believe it has the best pliers of all the multi-tools. I just feel that their inner components don't stack up to the Super Tool. They are shorter and don't have the reach of the ST. Also, the SOG has only one knife blade, which to me is a disadvantage.

Guess eveyone likes different tools for different reasons. That's why we have variety. ;)

I spend a bit of time on mine sites, production plants and oil/gas rigs and the LM supertool is the most popular by far. Most blokes wear some sort of belt or harness and the Supertool fits fine on these. Too big for me to wear on my belt in civilian clothes - I prefer the Wave.

The original Supertool is the one I keep coming back to. I am not crazy about the clumping or the "bite" of the handles when using pliers, but I like the tool selection the best.

It's all about the Swisstool for me. It's got the best layout, tightest, most precise workings, the deadly full length rule.... it's solid and indestructible and I carry it everyday.

GYMBOOEE said:
Also, the SOG has only one knife blade, which to me is a disadvantage.

True, but that's easy enough to change. :) One of the things I like about the SOG is the ability to swap out the tools. I only have one blade in mine, but I did swap the partially-serrated one that comes with it for the fully-serrated sheepfoot version.

--Bob Q

I do field service on industrial control systems, and I use my Wave all the time! I used a PST-II before that, loved it, but the wave was a gift from my wife! Only real complaint is that the file (not the diamond one, the wood/metal one) has no "bite" to it. I think if it wasn't chrome plated it might work better.
Also, I liked the screwdriver location on my older PST-II, they sat nearer the middle of the handles when they were out and the handles were closed. The newer ones all open near the outside of the tool, makes them "wobble" in use.
Minor flaws, I love the thing overall! :)

Back