Recommendation? Choke up metal hatchet

Most of what you've described sounds like some of the modern tactical hawks. But woth that being a disqualifying factor, perhaps some kind of axe like forcible entry tool is what you're looking for. The FIREMAXX looks to be something similar to the truckers friend but also different enough. Not quite my cup of tea as I prefer a wooden handle but I suppose every tool has its place. I can see the value in having something that's nearly indestructible. Though that usually comes at the cost of performance in this scenario. Hopefully you find something that works well for you.

The Estwing splits arm-size branch segments okay, being fairly thick behind the edge. If you want to chop limbs with it, might benefit from reprofiling to a curved edge and thinning.

As discussed previously, wrapping or padding would facilitate choking up. I’d probly use a piece of foam tube pipe insulation and tape of some kind.

Parker

I don't own it, but I've used it. The balance is like two inch bellow the head. As I swing it with my wrist too when I strike, it just become better for me with more handle weight. It rotate easier and thus strike harder. Same for choked up, the balance right in my hand will get me stronger short strike.

That being said, it does have an impact for chopping wood. It's something I tough about, but I'm not going to use it all day long. It's 3lbs after all.

It's going to be use mainly to split firewood, then for fire building, then for brand triming when a tree fall down and then for shelter building is need arise.

So while I understand the advantage of wood, I think that I would benifit from the advantage of steel, while not being so affected by its disavantage.

Respectfully, that's not how it works from a physics standpoint. It rotating easier does not, in fact, make it strike harder. A bunch of thick steel right below the head will throw the whole thing out of whack and you'll probably end up with significantly increased shock to the hand with less effective energy delivery to the target. You may like it, and that's fine, but it's a worse-performing arrangement to have lots of extra mass in that zone and for that reason you're unlikely to find any tools made for the mass market that have that particular arrangement.

Most of what you've described sounds like some of the modern tactical hawks. But woth that being a disqualifying factor, perhaps some kind of axe like forcible entry tool is what you're looking for. The FIREMAXX looks to be something similar to the truckers friend but also different enough. Not quite my cup of tea as I prefer a wooden handle but I suppose every tool has its place. I can see the value in having something that's nearly indestructible. Though that usually comes at the cost of performance in this scenario. Hopefully you find something that works well for you.
Now that's the kind of advise I'm looking for.

Do you think I should edit my original post to remove the "no tomahawk" and include a lenght of blade instead? Also when I say "hammer", I mean no spike/prytool/etc. Not an actual hammer. Is there a proper name to use?

I do find the FIREMAXX to be a real good urban/rescue tool but it's not the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's not made to split wood.

Also I'm not looking for a balanced tool, I just don't mind a bit of handle weight. Is there something I said that make people think that?

The Estwing splits arm-size branch segments okay, being fairly thick behind the edge. If you want to chop limbs with it, might benefit from reprofiling to a curved edge and thinning.

I will chop smaller limbs with it, something like ~2" max, something I can cut with 1-2 swing. I will have a saw too for larger part.

Respectfully, that's not how it works from a physics standpoint. It rotating easier does not, in fact, make it strike harder. A bunch of thick steel right below the head will throw the whole thing out of whack and you'll probably end up with significantly increased shock to the hand with less effective energy delivery to the target. You may like it, and that's fine, but it's a worse-performing arrangement to have lots of extra mass in that zone and for that reason you're unlikely to find any tools made for the mass market that have that particular arrangement.
I don't think it will have a large market for it, else I wouldn't have problem finding what I want. I'm just way stronger than the average, 5 lbs and less make no difference to me as I feel like having my hand empty. So heavier and less balanced tool make no difference for me on large strike. Physic also put a limit on what speed and strengh make for impact. I don't strike harder with a wooden handle. Faster on large strike yes, but it's not any better for my need. I have an axe for that.

My reality is just not the same as everyone else. I did break a jet powerclaw bare handed, if that can give you an idea.

It change performance, it does not kill. Why would it kill it?

If you are not going to add something to the tread, just don't post.
I told you the truth. It was a very solid suggestion.
If you are dead set on a steel handle perhaps look into a True Temper Jet Rocket. I think some of them came with a fiberglass haft too. They haven’t been made in years but are pretty common on the used market, camp hatchet and carpenters axe configurations.

Do you think I should edit my original post to remove the "no tomahawk" and include a lenght of blade instead? Also when I say "hammer", I mean no spike/prytool/etc. Not an actual hammer. Is there a proper name to use?
I would say you're looking for something with a flat poll then. It does not necessarily need to be a hammer poll. So something like a CRKT Chogan might fit more of your description.

It's hard to find something that will both split and chop well. Maybe two separate tools would work well. A pairing of something like the Chogan and one of the estwing fireside friend may suit you.

Another alternative is if you're carrying a saw and want something else that's all steel construction, maybe a large knife like a Becker bk2 or bk9 would work. They can chop small limbs for sure and can also be battoned through wood for splitting. They are also full steel and have the warranty you're looking for.

I told you the truth. It was a very solid suggestion.
Yes you did, but you didn't put it as a suggestion or advise. It was a "do as I say". No argument for or against anything. You say fiskars, I know it's one of the best deal overall, but you don't say anything about it.

Then again, the "handle weight is the devil" don't tell me anything about it except that you don't like it.

Fact, opinion and shared experience is what people look for. Not a "do as I say".

I would say you're looking for something with a flat poll then. It does not necessarily need to be a hammer poll. So something like a CRKT Chogan might fit more of your description.
A bit over my price, but still in range since I got every single other thing I want. Bit of a bummer though, it's discontinued. I don't want second hand tool.
It's hard to find something that will both split and chop well. Maybe two separate tools would work well. A pairing of something like the Chogan and one of the estwing fireside friend may suit you.
Not bad of an idea, but if I may precise the thickness; thick enough so I don't fear breaking it if I hit a stone. I do expect to resharpen if it's the case.

I'm kinda a "jack of all trades" kind of guy. I say kinda because I'm not looking for a "tool that rules them all" but for a tool that make 80%+ of what that kind of tool is made for.

So I'm looking for a single hatchet. Later on I may buy more "task specific" tool where wood and fiber will get on the table too, just not as my first.
Another alternative is if you're carrying a saw and want something else that's all steel construction, maybe a large knife like a Becker bk2 or bk9 would work. They can chop small limbs for sure and can also be battoned through wood for splitting.
I will buy a CRK Pacific. I will use it for this purpose in a GHB/BOB, but not at my camp, where I can accept heavy tools.

Okay, fine guy I get it;

Let's say I don't want the all-metal core but instead I say "nearly indestructible with overstrike protection" and "absolute weatherproof" (minus the rust)

What would you recommend?

Fiskars like g3 said.For the budget you have a flying fox a fiskars and a can of spray paint still have some left over.Over strike protection is not gonna be comfortable and useful.Best to practice enough you hit what your aiming at.

There can't be only Fiskars that make fiber handle, what would be the other advantage? Lightness?
I'm not sure what you're asking, specifically. But the glass-reinforced polyamide handle is light, comfortably gripped, strong, and absorbs shock well. For the mix of comfort and durability you're looking for it's the only build style that strikes a balance that doesn't significantly detract from performance. There are some other companies that make Fiskars-like derivatives, but of those on the market the Fiskars models are the most thoroughly dialed-in in their designs. You might also check out the synthetic-handled Stihl and Husqvarna axes.

I'm not sure what you're asking, specifically. But the glass-reinforced polyamide handle is light, comfortably gripped, strong, and absorbs shock well.
Let me rephrases then; what would high-end fiber handle hatchet focus on? If it's not durability I can only see lightness, but then again I don't know much about hatchet.

Let me rephrases then; what would high-end fiber handle hatchet focus on? If it's not durability I can only see lightness, but then again I don't know much about hatchet.

It's a combination of durability, light weight, shock absorption, and attaining dimensions similar to those of a wooden handle.

0586D4BC-9DDB-45EE-B9C6-E3F30E2057E2.jpeg
How about this one? Condor Mountain Pass.
14”
MSRP is $100
Steel and Micarta handle designed to choke-up on.
Lanyard hole
Hammer poll
Think it checks all your boxes, no?

Last edited:
Back