Recommendation? Cholla cactus and a file blade.

FOG2

Gold Member
I ground the File in the pic. And would like to attach the Cholla as a handle. How would you reccomend I do it?
I see two possibilities. Grind the tang of the file to fit the center hole in the Cholla or fill the Cholla with epoxy and split it lengthwise to make 2 handle slabs.
I would like to keep as much of the rough character of the Cholla as possible rather than grinding it smooth as I have had to do in the past when filling them with epoxy.20171013_222933.jpg

Grind the tang to fit the handle.
I'D think of a way to fill the holes before glueing the tang in the handle.
Some use coloured epoxy. I'd go for black or a brown tone. Some go flashy blue etc, I'd keep it natural looking. Just have fun

If you want to keep the high texture of the cactus, this works:
Shape the tang and drill the cactus to get a proper fit. Any guard should also be fitted. Do all work that is needed before the assembly.
Take a sheet of playdoh or modeling clay and press it firmly ( but not hard) into the cactus. Plug the end hole too. This will temporarily fill the open spaces to keep the resin from seeping out. Check the tang fit again, and clear out any clay that got in the tang hole.
Epoxy the blade/guard/handle together and let the resin cure overnight. Remove the clay and clean up as needed. When mixing the epoxy, it would be a good idea to dye the epoxy gray or black.

Stacy thank you! I believe that method will work well.
I am hearing Resin, is that different than epoxy? And if so is there a type recommended?

I agree with Stacy, but would also have that piece of Cactus stabilized or stabilize it myself if it was mine. My experience with Cholla is that it's not real durable in and of itself. A lot of folks cast cholla into knife scales and pen blanks letting the casting resin fill in all those natural pockets in the Cholla. I've seen some handsome natural looking pieces, and a few that the person just added some metallic powder, silvery colored or whichever into the clear resin giving it a nice a accent.

It has not been stabilized. I was thinking of putting a thin coat of epoxy on the exterior of the Cholla, with that and the epoxy on the inside I think it will be fine.
I coated the outside of a test piece and it came out well.

Don't put epoxy on the outside. It will be a mess.

Get some 5 packs of superglue from the dollar store and apply to the outside. It will soak into the cactus and stabilize, as well as harden it. Apply as many times as needed to get the wood fibers filled. A light sanding is all it will need. 0000 steel wool may be useful in getting a nice satin finish.

If a shiny finish is desired after the knife is assembled, use Watco or True-oil. Personally, I would not apply a finish coat.

If this is going to be a user rather than a "safe queen" I would definitely stabilize it before doing anything else.
Tim

Back