Choose a knife for a week-long backpack

While I agree that the F1 is a good and adequate knife, I would choose the Scrapper 5 LE because it is about the toughest knife of the group and just as easy to sharpen.

Can't comment on the rest but I can on the Bravo 1. It would be my choice.

One thing to consider from your list is also sheath design. How will it ride with your gear set up, is it a pain to access and re-sheath? When I go on excursions with a pack it is usually my JK EDC in neck carry that gets used the most because it's right there and can easily be re-secured in the pouch sheath rather than the Randall or whatever is on my belt at the time.

Last edited:
Any of them except the aqua salt. However, I would take the lightest one.

I would go with either the F1 or Bravo1 and a small folding saw (Sliky). I would not be using my knife for digging holes unless it was an absolute life or death situation :)

Lots of nice woods blades on your list! I don't know all of them.
From what you describe... I would see my self on this trip going fairly light bringing a small stove, thus keeping the days hiking enjoyable. A fire will most likely be for enjoyment and can usually be made by breaking up smaller wood. Having a tent and sleeping bag will keep you plenty warm without a large fire. I would go with one of the smaller ones. The F1 as others said would be a good choice, paired up with your other small back up knives.

Here is my choice...

F1
ba68d44e830ba9824493ea121148.jpg

Sawvivor
sawvivor.jpg

Plastic trowel
R022.jpg

Here's another vote for the F1 - the lightest in the list, more than enough blade for the trip, and I love that rubber handle in the cold.

Have a great hike and remember to post pics!

ETA: +1 on the orange trowel. I found one on the trail for the last month of a long hike this summer and loved it. I'd used one on the AT years ago, but somehow forgot how useful it is.
Here is my choice...
<snip>
Plastic trowel
R022.jpg

I try to limit my impact on any trail I travel on, therefore I would try and hold off on these activites as much as possible. Just a suggestion.
As for the knife, Sar 5 is what I would be taking along.

From what I've read the trail doesn't get a lot of maintenance, so the first few folks on it each spring need to do some clearing of blowdowns and the like. I don't mind burning a few twigs of the dead stuff that I've had to clear.

Can't comment on the rest but I can on the Bravo 1. It would be my choice.

One thing to consider from your list is also sheath design. How will it ride with your gear set up, is it a pain to access and re-sheath? When I go on excursions with a pack it is usually my JK EDC in neck carry that gets used the most because it's right there and can easily be re-secured in the pouch sheath rather than the Randall or whatever is on my belt at the time.

I usually like to zip tie the sheath to my shoulder strap, so kydex with hollow eyelets is a real asset for the sheath. This is one of the few instances where I care about sheath design almost as much as knife design. My F1 has the leather flap sheath, so I'm not sure how well it can be adapted to this particular task.

Thanks for the input...please keep it going.

I'll vote the f1 or the Bravo, and leave the folder at home, or vice versa.
You will find that what you actually "need" to cut while backpacking can usually be handled with a victronix classic. But what you "want" to cut and play around with might be a different story... That being the case I usually bring a 4" or smaller fixed blade, and the lighter the better. Remember you're gonna have to lug it around for a week.

Leave the shovel at home, its just unnecessary weight, and for heavens sake dont use your knife to dig! A heel or an unsharpened stick should do just fine.

Leave the shovel at home, its just unnecessary weight, and for heavens sake dont use your knife to dig! A heel or an unsharpened stick should do just fine.

How deep are you digging with your heel? :confused:

Back