Choose a knife for a week-long backpack

Since this is a survival forum, a survival mindset is called for. So what if:

1. You have to stay an unexpected week or two extra? That might effect your choice.
2. You lose or break your knife? You need a backup.

The only knives I have from your list are the Bravo 1 and F1. The Bravo 1 fits my hand better, so that would be my choice. For a backup I would take the F1 or a Mora.

How deep are you digging with your heel? :confused:

6+", that's the rule... If the ground proves to be too hard, any ole stick, or even a tent stake will finish the job, no problem.

If you're breaking shovels trying to dig a deep enough hole, maybe you should eat a little less... ;) Joking of course. I suppose there are some parts of the country that have really hard clay, but unless that is the case, a shovel is generally an unnecessary item.

yeah don't dig catholes w/ your knife :) stick, tent stake or trowel

personally I'd bring something smaller for backpacking (on the lines of a WM1, Izula, etc), but from that list probably F1- relatively lightweight, convex edge easy to maintain, steel is pretty rust resistant and the thermorun handle is nice if happens to wet/cold

Honestly, if the rest of my food is as bad as the homemade dehydrated deer chili that I tested tonight, I don't think I'll need to dig more than one hole all week :D

Honestly, if the rest of my food is as bad as the homemade dehydrated deer chili that I tested tonight, I don't think I'll need to dig more than one hole all week :D
Homemade dehydrated deer chili? You might be digging a hole every 10 minutes... :D

I would be tempted to bring the Fehrman Shadow Scout. Tough enough to batan with or do most camp work, will hold an edge longer than many of your other picks (except maybe the scrapper 5) and thin enough to use for food preparation.

You really can't go wrong with anyone of your options .

Just out of curiosity, why not the Aqua Salt?

I think it may actually be the lightest one at 4.2 oz.

For where I live batoning is a real possibility in a transition time like spring which is why I either carry a knife that can do it or a tomahawk. I don't have much faith in H1 for batoning but then I've never used it so YMMV. In the summer, I'm content with just a folder because everything is dry.

6+", that's the rule... If the ground proves to be too hard, any ole stick, or even a tent stake will finish the job, no problem.

I think the weight of a trowel is less than the spare pair of pants you have to carry to replace the ones you shart in while digging a hole with your heel or a stick. ;)

Scrapper 5le, best balance between weight, toughness, and ease of sharpening. Handle is great also.

Back