choose one: balisong or automatic out the front

So, if you had to choose one to use, what would you prefer and why?
A balisong, or an automatic out the front knife.

There's no need to make a valid argument (but you can if you like), a preference because you just dig it is fine also :)

I'm curious to your thoughts! thanks.

For me bali. The OTFs are super cool but kinda gimmicky and complex. Bali's can fall apart but you can see all the bits in the open.

OTF. Microtech Ultratech. Slim, lightweight, fast, and solid firing, easily deployed, and repocketed, proven design/knife, quality craftsmanship. Bali-song's are just too flashy for me.

rS7V5dZ.jpg

I have 0 use for a butterfly knife.

I do enjoy the strengths of a balisong: the solid lock up, the compactness when folded, etc. It a more capable edc than many give it credit for.

However, OTF all day long for me. Easy to get into action, quick to get put away. My Microtechs have spoiled me on how fast and easy it is to pull my knife out, make a cut, and never reposition my hand.

While you should never have to choose between one or the other of these divine inventions....

Balisong. Strongest lock in the business and it's the coolest "fidget spinner" there is. Fun even if you suck at it.

Stand over the carpet though. I've heard that spouses get a bit peeved at little chips in the hardwood floor.:eek:

Oh, and if you need a demonstration at somebody who really sucks at using a balisong, do drop by. Bring Band-Aids. And beer.

Craft beer.

OTF all the way. Pretty much all I carry these days and I don’t have any of the perceived issues some people will lead you to believe. Balis are cool but are weird to use as an actual EDC knife. An OTF I can flick opened and closed without having to move my hand much at all. Plus they are extremely ambidextrous without having to relearn how to open it with the other hand, especially top firing OTFs.

For me bali. The OTFs are super cool but kinda gimmicky and complex. Bali's can fall apart but you can see all the bits in the open.
Yeah ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Your well made butterfly knife is very simple and practically bulletproof .

Strong , reliable , easy to clean , maintain and visualize any problems .

10-5 for otf's so far.

I like the occasional corona boredom flipping and spinning and find the (in the house) use edc use fantastic. balisongs are so nice and simple, and simple most of the times means stronger.

unfortunately no otf's are allowed here so can't comment on that. they do seem great though and I lust for one.

the ultratech/protech destruction tests on youtube are quite amazing too.

balisong for me then. 10-6 :)

It's funny, because they are knives that shouldn't even be put in the same category IMO. They just are, because ignorant people have decided that they should both be illegal.

I like the balisong for simplicity and strong lock construction.

there is a superficial similarity: straight unergonomic handles and straight blades and they have a pointy look

Cody rescued Ellen from The Bombers using a Balisong....

So - I'll go with the butterfly - even though I'm so uncoordinated I can't fart and blink my eyes at the same time... ;)

Back