Recommendation? Choosing a new hunting knife

How about looking at the Spyderco Junction. It's steel is a version of D2. There also the Spyderco Bill Moran. This has VG-10 and it should do anything you want it to do.

Not opposed to Spyderco...I have been tempted to pick up one of their Bow Rivers. I have read that their 8Cr13MoV is surprisingly good. Obviously its cheap enough that I wouldn't be out much if it didn't do what I want...

I have looked at CS. There 3v blades appear to be a good deal. Their knives seem to be a little thick and I have read a few mixed reviews about quality control. I'll give them another look. Thanks!

I hear ya. This particular model is not thick, and has a nice taper to the point.

It's a pretty perfect length, but that .5" will probably go mostly unnoticed.

The steel is great, their heat treat seems on point. I've only given it a real sharpen once, the strip brings it back nicely. I'd recommend it on the steel alone.

Good to hear. Thanks again! Its moving to the top of the list.

It is going to be easiest with diamond stones. I have no issue with sharpening.

The full belly makes it a breeze getting through hides and won’t chip on bone.

Two negatives...

The handle can trap moisture by the tang, as it’s not sealed.

The sheath could use an upgrade.

It is going to be easiest with diamond stones. I have no issue with sharpening.

The full belly makes it a breeze getting through hides and won’t chip on bone.

Two negatives...

The handle can trap moisture by the tang, as it’s not sealed.

The sheath could use an upgrade.

In your experience how would you say edge retention compares to your sons Buck 119?

The Buck Alaskan Guide is a good one.
AVCh0Ey.jpg

Thanks everyone! In all honesty I think I would be happy with 3V, s35vn, or Elmax (or similar steels)...I guess I just need decide on blade geometry/handle vs. price and get one. All the comments here have been very helpful!

Humm. Do you have the Master Hunter? Have you used it on game? I really like the idea of 3V based on what I have read.
I've used my Master Hunter in Carbon V on all kinds of game -- moose, caribou, deer, black bear -- and found it surpasses any of my other hunting knives, from field dressing to butchering.

kershaw has the 'camp 5' with a 4.75" blade in d2 steel - for only around $60 right now - seriously not much comes close for value & quality

KS1083_1.jpg

I've used my Master Hunter in Carbon V on all kinds of game -- moose, caribou, deer, black bear -- and found it surpasses any of my other hunting knives, from field dressing to butchering.

For comparison sake, what other hunting knives do you have/use? Thanks!

kershaw has the 'camp 5' with a 4.75" blade in d2 steel - for only around $60 right now - seriously not much comes close for value & quality

KS1083_1.jpg

Yes. Seems like a good barging. A little on the bigger side. I have a good friend who loves D2. I have read that its a little harder to get it to take a good edge...maybe no harder to sharpen than some of the other mention steels?

sure, it's only difficult if you're using river stones perhaps... if you have anything modern like ceramic or diamond or even low cost aluminum oxide whetstones, you'll be fine - and you'll love the great edge retention

Spyderco Moran in VG-10 would meet many of your criteria. Also look for a mule on the forum and customize what you want. If you like Elmax you could also check out Ranier knives. I also like many of Brisa's offerings that can be purchased finished or just as a blank.

Back