Recommendation? Choosing a new hunting knife

Daado in the knifemakers forum makes some great users in 52100 and in your price range. His heat treat and grinds are spot on for a hard use knife. Take a look.
I have two of them. Doesn't everyone need a knife made in Croatia?

How would the Benchmade Puukko 3V compare to the CS Master Hunter 3V? I may be able to get a good deal on the Puukko...

I prefer the full flat grind of the Master Hunter but it looks like the Puukko is a little thinner blade. I know the Puukki isn't marketed as a hunting knife, but it looks like it might fit the bill and the price is good. I have read that initially the heat treat was soft on the Benchmade 3V but supposedly that has been corrected?

Spyderco will not be cost-effective, due to the "SpyderTax"
Same for Benchmade, etc.

Cold Steel is the same quality, but without the name brand tax. Lynn Thompson prices his knives fairly. I'd put in another vote for the Master Hunter. With Cold Steel, it's only a question of:
  • Do they make a design I like?
  • ...in the steel I want?
  • Am I OK with Taiwan production?
The hard steel is good for a hunting knife; not as good for bushcraft. But you specifically asked for a hunting knife. The grip traction will also work well when covered with blood, fat, etc.

The Buck Vanguard Alaskan edition is a great knife, with its S30V blade, but that polished wood handle will be slick as snot on a doorknob, once it gets blood on it.

Buck's 420HC has a good reputation (Rc 58) but I have not found it to hold an edge as well as even AUS8.

I have no experience with White River Knives.

How would the Benchmade Puukko 3V compare to the CS Master Hunter 3V? I may be able to get a good deal on the Puukko...

I prefer the full flat grind of the Master Hunter but it looks like the Puukko is a little thinner blade. I know the Puukki isn't marketed as a hunting knife, but it looks like it might fit the bill and the price is good. I have read that initially the heat treat was soft on the Benchmade 3V but supposedly that has been corrected?
I have both and either would do fine. The BM Puukko is probably more versatile due to its slimmer blade, while the Master Hunter excels at game prep. It also has a larger grip though both are probably the same material. As far as heat treat goes, I don't think I could tell the difference of a couple points. I believe the Benchmade is 62 HRC.

I bet that Benchmade would work great too, maybe not quite as conducive as a hunting knife, but would still work great.

I have had my eye on that blade for some time, as I enjoy that design for whittling and fish cleaning.

Reactions: DMG
Used over the years;

Buck 119
Buck 112
Buck 110
Kabar USMC
Kabar USN
Cold Steel MH
Becker BK16
Maxpedition large fish belly
Benchmade Griptillian
Mora 2000
Mora Companion
Mora Flex
Mora Bushcraft
BlackJack small hunter
CFK Pakistan D2
Esee 4
Falknivven F1
Spyderco Endura
and a few others I forgotten.

The Cold Steel stands out as a hunting blade.

My go to hunting knife is a Cold Steel Master Hunter in CPM-3V. If I need it, my backup is a Buck Vanguard in 420HC.

I used the Buck for many years and never felt under knifed. I kept it sharp and it worked.

The Master Hunter can do a lot more work before needing to be sharpened though. I also really like the rubber grip for when I have blood and water all over cold and tired hands. It makes more difference than you'd think.

I used my Benchmade Altitude a couple of months ago to skin and quarter a mature cow elk by myself (lots of cutting!) Two hours later it was still very sharp with no noticeable difference in cutting performance from when the job began. Benchmade seems to do a good job with their S90V.

I did do a primitive cord wrap on it and found it to be extremely comfortable and very controllable. Oh, and all hunting knives should be blaze orange or some other neon color!

Let's not forget the 118 as well!

I agree, I've dressed out many many deer with many different size and shaped knives.

While I don't have any experience with the models you listed in your first post, I have processed many deer with my buck 118 and I think it is a VERY good all purpose hunting knife!!! I have the other buck fixed blades, but I personally think the 118 is the best - not too long, not too short, not too fat, etc. Especially since you mentioned that you usually end up grabbing a filet knife - I think you will like the 118 blade shape. I personally can't imagine using a 119 on a deer - just way too big. The 118 excels at field dressing, skinning, and boning. I've never had any issue with edge retention. When it eventually does need a touch up I just hit it with a stone and it's good to go.

my other favorite hunting knive and the one that's probably dressed out the most deer is my old schrade sharpfinger. that is the handiest little knife that was ever made I think. Not the best for boning, but by the time I'm at that stage I'm back home and have access to any kind of knife I want.

oh and you said that you've been using a big folder - I've done that as well - and while you can and it works, a nice fixed blade will work SO much better.

I think a 3 1/2" - 4 1/2" blade with not too much belly is the ticket for deer. anything to short and/or fat will have you hacking around inside trying to separate things that would be much easier with a nice thin blade. My other favorite is an old case 4" fixed blade. They don't seem to make it any more but its right between the 3" mini finn and the 5" utility hunter.

So many options. I love the internet, but it would be nice to walk into a store, hold all these knives in my hand and really be able to see the blade geometry in 3D. I can find a few locally...but just a few.

The 118 does have a thin blade, which is something I like, but I really prefer a drop point for field dressing and skinning. For quartering/butchering I'm kinda indifferent.

So many raving reviews for the CS Master Hunter have convinced me it would be great. I think the distal taper is probably what makes it work with the thicker blade. It looks like it runs about $149.

I guess I just have to decide what I want to spend. I'm seeing some real good deals on knives with s30v...I suspect some are trying to move inventory to make room for the latest and "greatest". As mentioned before I have a gift card for a local store that I would love to use but they don't carry CS...

Not sure about the quartering with a knife only. I used a saw or a axe/hatchet for the backbone, ribs, and pelvis.

My primary "hunting knife" has ranged from a Buck 110/Old Timer 7OT, Old Timer 152OT "Sharp Finger", Western L66, and Mora Number 1.
I had and tried a Buck 119, but didn't care for the blade length. (119 fans please forgive me)
I don't know if they have any left, but C&C (a supporting dealer) has the Buck 103 "Skinner" and a couple other 100 series fixed blades (and the 110/112) available with 5160 blades.
Buck isn't doing a lot of special orders due to the Covid, so they might be out of some of the exclusive to them 5160 knives.

If you like the 119, it is available in the custom shop with a S30V blade option.

I have been looking at that very knife. Have you used it? I agree it looks like a great deal!
Yes. The handle is great and it really works well as a hunting knife. I really wanted the BM Bushcrafter as I have a couple of other hunting knives I sold it and bought the Bushcrafter which works well as a hunting knife too.

Not sure about the quartering with a knife only. I used a saw or a axe/hatchet for the backbone, ribs, and pelvis.

C&C (a supporting dealer) has the Buck 103 "Skinner" and a couple other 100 series fixed blades (and the 110/112) available with 5160 blades.
Buck isn't doing a lot of special orders due to the Covid, so they might be out of some of the exclusive to them 5160 knives.

While it can be done without, I do carry a saw and use it.

5160 really intrigues me. I have been considering a fillet knife in spring steel. I'm sure it would easily take a razor sharp edge, but I suspect other offerings in s35vn would hold up better...I'll take a look at the buck hunting knives in 5160. Thanks!

Back