Chris Reeve Knives History Timeline To Date & Blade Steel Timeline

nyefmaker

Gold Member
Here is the Chris Reeve History Timeline I promised I would post. Anne Reeve sent this to me about year ago as I was inquiring about the many models of One-Piece Knives. This Timeline gives you the KNIFE DESCRIPTION; YEAR INTRODUCED; YEAR DISCONTINUED. This List has been invaluable to me in acquiring my Chris Reeve Knife Collection. You have the Many One-Piece Knives, Sebenzas, etc. I ask that this be made a Sticky as the Info will be Very Helpful To All for Years To Come.👍👍

Knife Description Year Introduced Year Discontinued

MK IV 7" Clip point sawback: 1984 - 1994
MK V 7" Clip point: 1986 - 1994
Aviator 4" Clip point sawback: 1984 - 2008
Aviator 5" Clip point sawback ( 50 Knives Made )
Moutaineer I 4" Single guard clip point: 1985 - Dec. 2009
Moutaineer II 5.5" Single guard clip point: 1990 - Dec. 2009
Jereboam MK I 9" Clip point sawback: 1985 - 1994
Jereboam MK II 9" Clip point: 1986 - 2008
Shadow I 9" Spearpoint: 1987 - 2008
Shadow II 7" Spearpoint: 1987 - 1994
Shadow III 4 " Spearpoint: 1987 - Dec. 2009
Shadow IV 5.5" Spearpoint: 1990 - Dec. 2009
Sable I 9" Sabre: 1986 - 2008
Sable II 7" Sabre: 1985 - 1994
Sable III 4" Sabre: 1986 - 2006
Sable IV 5.5" Sabre: 1990 - 2008
Tanto I 9" Chisel point: 1987 - 2008
Tanto II 7" Chisel point: 1987 - 1994
Tanto III 4" Chisel point: 1987 - 1994
Tanto IV 5.5" Chisel point: 1990 - 1994
Ubejane Skinner 4.5" Broadblade clip point: 1990 - Dec. 2009
Pachmayr 7.5" Spearpoint: 1988 - 1990
Project I 7.5" Spearpoint: 1991 - Dec. 2009
Project II 7.5" Clip point: 1991 - Dec. 2009
Kathathu 9" Double Edge ( 50 Knives Made ): 2000 - 2001
Kathathu 7.5" Double Edge ( 100 Knives Made ): 2000 - 2001
Kathathu 5.5" Double Edge ( 66 Knives Made ): 2000 - 2001
Kathathu 4" Double Edge ( 100 Knives Made ): 2000 - 2001
Nkonka 7 13/16" Sabre Blade: June 2002 - Dec. 2009
Nkonka 7 13/16" SpearPoint: September 2003 - Dec. 2009
Nkonka 5.5" SpearPoint USN ( 10 Knives Made ): 2009
Nkonka 5.5" ClipPoint USN ( 10 Knives Made ): 2009
MK VI 5.5" Clip Point: 1990 - Dec. 2009
CRK 28 Year Special Edition Mark IV 7" Sawback ( 250 knives made ): 2009

"When Chris first started making the One Piece knives, they were all from D2. It was in February of 1987 that he changed to A2. Since then, we have made a very few out of D2 but that was because we could not get A2. Regrettably no records of how many, which or when!"

H Sebenza: 1989
P Sebenza Large: 1991 - 1995
P Sebenza Small: 1993 - 1995
Original Sebenza Large: 1991 - 1996
Original Sebenza Small: 1993 - 1996
Regular Sebenza Large: 1996 - 2008
Regular Sebenza Small: 1996 - 2008
Umfaan: 1997 - 2002
Classic Sebenza Large and Small: 2000 - 2008
Mnandi: 2001
Sebenza 21 Large and Small: 2008 - June 7, 2019
Sebenza 31 Large and Small: Announced June 3, 2019
Umnumzaan: 2008
Ti-Lock: 2011 - 2017
Sebenza 25: Announced Mid 2012 - Discontinued Mid 2016 ( replaced by Large Inkosi )
Inkosi Small: 2015
Inkosi Large: June 2016
Impinda Slipjoint: June 2018

Green Beret/Yarborough: 2002
5.5" Green Beret: 2003
Neil Roberts Warrior: 2004
Inyoni: 2007
Pacifc/1SFG(A): 2007
Professional Soldier: 2008 - 2018
Sikayo 6.5" : 2009 - 2020
Sikayo 9" :2009 - 2020
Nyala : 2010 - 2020
Impofu: 2014 (500 Made)
Umkhombe: 2014
Backpacker: June 2022
Inyoni ( new version ): June 2022

Reviews

My CRK Professional Soldier Review With Pics, Enjoy !!! http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664883&highlight=professional+soldier+review
Chris Reeve Knives Umfaan: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-The-Chris-Reeve-Knives-Umfaan-A-Small-Review

Sebenza Blade Steel Timeline

First knives were ATS-34

Switched to BG-42 October 1996

Switched to S30V January 2002

Switched to S35VN January ( aprox. ) 2011

Announced switch to S45VN in late 2020. Will Phase into production line in early 2021

Blade Stamps: Stamped into the bade to distinguish blade steel

ATS34 - Unmarked ( Best way to identify is via production date )
BG42 - Unmarked ( Best way to identify is via production date )
Classic - "C" ( Some classics have BG42 as they were using up blades and are unmarked as was BG42. Rest are S30V)
S30V - "S"
S35VN - "V" ( there are 2 versions of the "V". A "V" that uses 4 shorter lines to make the letter has a 58-59 RC. A "V" that has two longer lines as shown here "V" has a 59-60 RC ) REFER TO POST #185 in this thread.
S45VN - "45"
*** This is the norm, but there are exceptions. There are "sterile" unmarked blades that made it to the public. There are also cases in which BG42 blades were used in Classics to use up blades while most Classics had S30V.

Handle Scales

A slabs made from January, February, March
B slabs made from April, May, June
C slabs made from July, August, September
D Slabs made from October, November December

So A99 would be made in say February of 1999; B03 would be made say June 2003; C05 would be made say July 2005; D09 would be made say November 2009............It goes like that, just examples !

I believe these began being marked in the 1997 time frame. I have had 1997 sebenzas with no marking though, so "When" it was made in 97 is the difference. I have had 1998 and 1999 with markings, so by this time, they were pretty consistent.

** CRK changed to the "New" Boxes on June 17, 2013. These included the lube and ( loctite for the models that require it, ie sebenza 25 & umnumzaan ). The packaging is completely different from before.
Here is the thread from Heather with the info: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1079520-New-Boxes
Thanks Heather....!!!

One Piece Knife Blade Steel Info

Nearly ALL CRK One Piece Knives were made from A2 Tool Steel, Both in South Africa & USA. There were special runs though with D2 ( when A2 was scarce) & CPM 3V.

Additional info regarding "P" Sebenzas
Unfortunately, we have no good records of Sebenza numbers we never thought for a moment any one would be interested so many years later!! Only the Original Sebenzas were marked with P Larges introduced in 1991 and Smalls introduced in 1993. We honestly have no record of how many Large P Sebenzas we made we think we did them for about 2 and a half years. We numbered up to 121 for the Small P Sebenzas and I am not sure we did any marked with just P and no serial number. I think we stopped marking the P around mid 1994!..... "P" Stands for Production Sebenza, Not Prototype Sebenza ...On Behalf of CRK....Thanks Anne !

Time-Line Info:
*Those with a Single Year ( Other than the H sebenza ) signify that they are still in production
*Those with a Single Year: Example ( 50 Knives made ) Were Only Made for that One Year and were a Limited Run during that year
*Those with Two Years ( the first year is year introduced; the second year is year discontinued )
*CRK has done many limited edition knives that are not mentioned here, like the tanto sebenzas, camo finish one piece knives, Al Mar/CRK OPR,etc. This list is intended for regular production knives.
*ALL the info in this CRK Time Line has been given to me by CRK ( Anne Reeve, Heather ), Without their kindness, I would never have been able to do this. I wanted this info as I am a Huge CRK Fan and Supporter, and I have passed it on to you, my BladeForums Friends to Enjoy !

*** I am going to have to MOVE "The HISTORY OF CHRIS REEVE KNIVES" to another post contained within this Sticky due to a max character limit. Otherwise, I am unable to update as the History is quite large. Look for it in POST # 42 ***

*** ALSO - Due To Space Limitations, Additional CRK Timeline INFO Is Included In Additional POSTS.......I Have Tried To Keep The Most Basic Info In This FIRST Page, But There Is TONS Of Additional Information Throughout.......Examples: CRK OPR Steel Info, Certain CRK Knives Like The PACHMAYR, Mammoth Ivory Info, ETC. So Be Sure To Browse The WHOLE Sticky Thread. ***

*** Again, Thanks To Bladeforums.com For Allowing This To Be A Sticky For ALL CRK Fans To See. This Information Is Invaluable To One Of Bladeforums Biggest Supporter Fan Base ***

Last edited:
I contacted CRK and will post an update with blade steels. The H Sebenza was the first sebenza and was handmade like Westllen stated. I believe they only made a few and I also think they show them on the CRK 2 DVD set that I highly recommend. I am glad they made this a sticky as the info will be helpful to all. I will post updates as they become available. Thanks to ALL, my CRK friends.

Last edited:
I updated the info with a Blade Steel Timeline from CRK, Thanks Heather, Your The Best !!!

Appreciate the listing.I did not see the Nkonka mentioned.Some info on that would be nice,thank you.

Would also like info on the Nkonka and the "P" series. There was one on E-bay and I did not bid. THinking it might have been a mistake to let it go by.

I updated the timeline with additional info. I realized I forgot the MKVI, so when I get that, I will post it. Enjoy !!

Updated with MK VI Info.

Last edited:
I was fortunate to find a brand new P Large Sebenza made in early 1993 (according to the handwritten info card inside the box) in a small mall knife shop several years ago. I don't think it had ever been opened prior to me doing it. The store found it the day before I bought it on a shelf in their stockroom. It had been there since 1993... It doesn't have a clip & I've therefore never carried it. It's been in the safe since.

I want to get a P Sebenza one of these days. I have seen a couple floating around , but funds have been low lately. Plus there is so many other CRK I wanna get. Congratulations on your P Sebenza purchase. Its definately a keeper.

Here is a pic of my collection to date. Its my best effort so far.
I am especially proud of my One-Piece Collection. They were my First CRK and Continue To Be My Favorite. Enjoy !

CRK29.jpg

CRKUpdate.jpg

CRK34.jpg

Does anyone know when Reeve switched from D2 to A2? I know many of the earlier SA knives were D2 in the mid to late 1980s and used the Kalgard coating instead of the KG. I believe the D2 fixed blades were being made without saying South Africa on them and they predate most of the South African knives many people still have and use. I know he also did a bunch of bright orange 4 inch fixed blades using both clip, spear and tanto points. Was there ever overlap between the A2 and D2 steel production? A friend of mine has some really cool stuff which I never even knew existed including a Jeroboam with a 12 inch blade!!!!, hand made by Chris and number 001. That particular knife also has a very unusual history. Some of the other things are Jeroboams with a sharpened spine done by CRK and not custom work. To my understanding they are the only of its kind as it was purchased from the first American buyer of CRK products who happens to live a few miles from my house.

Does anyone know when Reeve switched from D2 to A2? I know many of the earlier SA knives were D2 in the mid to late 1980s and used the Kalgard coating instead of the KG. I believe the D2 fixed blades were being made without saying South Africa on them and they predate most of the South African knives many people still have and use. I know he also did a bunch of bright orange 4 inch fixed blades using both clip, spear and tanto points. Was there ever overlap between the A2 and D2 steel production? A friend of mine has some really cool stuff which I never even knew existed including a Jeroboam with a 12 inch blade!!!!, hand made by Chris and number 001. That particular knife also has a very unusual history. Some of the other things are Jeroboams with a sharpened spine done by CRK and not custom work. To my understanding they are the only of its kind as it was purchased from the first American buyer of CRK products who happens to live a few miles from my house.

There were many Special Limited Runs and One Of A Kind CRK made over the years. This timeline is meant for regular production and I do have some limited edition ones listed as well. We could go on forever trying to list every single knife they ever made in what color and what pattern. From what I understand, the one piece knives made in D2 were limited runs. I think they always used A2, but I have seen limited runs in D2. So I dont think its anything they switched to, just something they made on a limited run. Like the Knonka made out of 3V steel..........I like the orange one piece knives, would be great for hunting, but Chris said they did not sell too well. I for one, would like them to offer orange end caps, to screw on in hunting season to help prevent loss if layed down..............I have seen pics of a extra long jereboam, but it is of the one of a kind.......................I have also seen a jereboam I with sharpened spine and no saw teeth. I bid on it when it was on ebay, but did not like it enough to bid more for the win. It did not go for alot................As for the one of a kind one piece knives, they will fetch a good $$$, but that depends on the individual and what they are willing to spend. "Anything is only worth what someone is willing to spend".

I agree completely that for custom stuff with no value guidelines, it depends on what the end consumer is willing to pay. Custom CRKs and even Unique Sebenza sales have dropped in both frequency and dollar amount due to the recession. If I had the money, I would probably have hundreds of his custom stuff and enough to open a CRK museum. Maybe one day...until them, I enjoy pictures from all of the good people here :)

Back