Recommendation? Chris Reeve Knives Next Design?

tuica

Gold Member
Pretty simple thread. What would you like to see as CRK’s next Folding Knife Design?

Me? As my age, and activity, related thumb arthritis gets progressively worse, I have come to appreciate the flipping action of my Shirogorovs; Hinderers; Curtis, et all.

Perhaps that would be an interesting, and market niche, design for CRK to explore.

Think any thoughts on this, and other potential new CRK designs, would be of interest to most of us here.

Thanks in advance for your input, and have a great week.

Last edited:
Medium Sebenza flipper without the scale hole so that CGG’s and UG’s could be taken to a new level without being welded at the hip to the ubiquitous sun/moon/comet type graphic themes necessitated by the scale hole. If CRK could pull that off, I could see myself EDC'ing a work of art that should never leave the safe.

Large Sebenza with 3.5" blade instead of 3.6" because knife laws in many places of the US cap at 3.5". Or a Medium Sebenza in the 3.25" range

Me? As my age, and activity, related thumb arthritis gets progressively worse, I have come to appreciate the flipping action of my Shirogorovs; Hinderers; Curtis, et all.

Perhaps that would be an interesting, and market niche, design for CRK to explore.

There are so many flippers out there already. I wonder how much of a niche there is for CRK to explore.

Personally, I am eagerly anticipating embellished Impindas. They should be able to do almost full scale inlays on both sides, maybe some "old school" types, like bone, in addition to wood.

I would also like to see an even smaller Sebenza (an Umfaan resurrection) and maybe a slightly smaller Impinda as well.

Interesting comments. Thanks. Please keep them coming. To defend my choice a bit, there are many types of knives out there similar to CRK designs, yet they still have carved, (sliced, cut out!) their own market share because many want a particular design with Chris Reeve quality, and backing. Thought the Impinda was a old fashioned, well represented design type, but in favor of it, as there are people that will be drawn to it. And that’s great for all of us. And all we can do is wait and see.

A slightly updated Umfaan would fly off the shelves. The addition of micarta inlays for the Mnandi is interesting as well. Please engineer a more svelte clip as an option for the Mnandi...

I don't see a flipper as being consistent with the CRK philosophy.

Last edited:
You know what I think would be awesome? A "mpdern traditional folder". Maybe something in the realm of Kroo Chunly Frank or something but still CR style.

Interesting comments. Thanks. Please keep them coming. To defend my choice a bit, there are many types of knives out there similar to CRK designs, yet they still have carved, (sliced, cut out!) their own market share because many want a particular design with Chris Reeve quality, and backing. Thought the Impinda was a old fashioned, well represented design type, but in favor of it, as there are people that will be drawn to it. And that’s great for all of us. And all we can do is wait and see.

Now that Chris Reeve is no longer with the company the designs are just never going to be the same. Also Chris Reeve designed the machines that build the knives so new models may not see the same perfection right off the bat.

Even that impinda was designed by Harsey I believe.

Chris Reeve himself was against flippers and ball bearings but who knows now that he is no longer a part of CRK.

Also Chris Reeve designed the machines that build the knives so new models may not see the same perfection right off the bat.

^^No offence to the man himself, but that’s a bit of a stretch. For sure he made some jigs and whatnot to hold blades or tweek something, but “he bought the machines that make the knives” would be more accurate and truthful.

Personally, my observation is the quality has been going up since Chris left. I think the last couple years he was at the helm the company may have been suffering from too much growth coupled with whatever personal dramas were unfolding.

Hopefully he will again design a knife for the company, but if not, he certainly left on a high note.

More good comments. I never appreciated, nor even tried, flippos (think I like that term better) until I developed the terrible arthritis in both thumbs. Oddly enough, that’s the only location. Verified by ex ray. Incurable. Doctor prescribed? Rest and ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. And he’s a good doc, known him for years.

And how to rest the digit that is used for nearly every human handling/ lifting/ carrying activity? Good luck. Anyway, not a screed on my cross to bear. We all have them. Most thumb operated folders, well lubed and broken in not much problem. But man those expensive forefinger operated knives are slick. Be well, y’all.

In a market dominated by flippers I don't know that CRK producing one would really be beneficial for them. If they came out with some type of washer design rather than bearings that would be cool. I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm just saying the market is pretty saturated with Ti flippers.

Not sure if really any new designs left to conquer. The Ti-Lock was something different. Do not have one, so wouldn’t kill me to see them produce that one again. If it was my decision, I would at least “run the numbers” on production of a CRK flipper. Many would purchase a new model flipper just because it was a Chris Reeve, and hopefully, very high quality. They’d at least sell one to me...;-)

Back