Chris Reeve Nyala

Holy crap that's a beautiful Nyala !

I'd really like to have some carbon fiber put on one of mine, please let us all know who did those beautiful scales for you.

Thanks for making the rest of us jealous :)

Are those green scales original CRK? Do you have pictures?

I bought it used so I really do not know. I am newbie to knife collecting and this is my first CRK. The pattern on the micarta with the horizontal cuts then the diagonal cuts is identical. What I really want is the CRK Pacific

I bought it used so I really do not know. I am newbie to knife collecting and this is my first CRK. The pattern on the micarta with the horizontal cuts then the diagonal cuts is identical. What I really want is the CRK Pacific

That's interesting. As far as I know, the only non-standard scales that were ever available on the Nyala were the Orvis limited edition Tamboti scales. If the machining matches, though, maybe it was some sort of custom or an employee one-off.

That's interesting. As far as I know, the only non-standard scales that were ever available on the Nyala were the Orvis limited edition Tamboti scales. If the machining matches, though, maybe it was some sort of custom or an employee one-off.

Micarta is easy to dye

Micarta is easy to dye

Please tell me its not a fake
mediums1_zps69a248aa.jpg

The picture is darker then it is, its a dark green. If anyone is interested the one in the middle is a James Ivy custom piece with carbon fiber scales and the one on the end is a James Debaud custom from very early in his knife making

Just got my new and only fixed blade - Nyala. Birthday gift from my wife.
What a great knife! I really love it. Great shape and size for me. It's a perfect edc knife :D

rslnpDD.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my new and only fixed blade - Nyala. Birthday gift from my wife.
What a great knife! I really love it. Great shape and size for me. It's a perfect edc knife :D

rslnpDD.jpg

Congrats!
It's a really sweet knife, I hope that it serves you well :)

JNMicarta is easy to dye.[/QUOTE said:
How do you do it. What do you use. The color of the handle has been my only issue with this knife. I'd buy one in a hart beat if it was the same color Micarta as my Seb.

I have a couple of questions for you Nyala owners. First off are all new Nyalas coated or just the insingo? Knife center still shows the stonewashed finish. I also notice the handle slabs are screwed on and wondered if they are removable?

I have a couple of questions for you Nyala owners. First off are all new Nyalas coated or just the insingo? Knife center still shows the stonewashed finish. I also notice the handle slabs are screwed on and wondered if they are removable?

The Nyalas are all coated now. CRK has been using the coating for a fair amount of time. The handle slabs are attached with the same 3M tape that is used to attach inlays to the Sebenzas. People have removed the scales but I believe that voids the warranty, and from what I have heard it is a pain getting them off.

How do you do it. What do you use. The color of the handle has been my only issue with this knife. I'd buy one in a hart beat if it was the same color Micarta as my Seb.

If you have the time YouTube search for something called RIT Dye.
There is a lot of information on the stuff available and many people have had great success using it on a great many things- I'm sure that I've seen a vid where somebody changed the color of micarta handle slabs before.

I didn't like the color at first either but after having one for a while and now having three Nyala's I've grown to like it just fine.
I'm more put off by the coating since I don't have any long term experience with it. My 2 standard Nyala's are the old (perfect) stone wash finish and my Insingo Nyala is coated. Though I've used the Insingo a bit I still prefer the regular shape for my woods time so the Insingo version hasn't seen "hard" enough use yet to let me know how the finish will last.

The Insingo makes a mean camp kitchen knife and is fun to use on other camp chores- I just love using it for food prep though. The standard works well everywhere and is as good as a zipper when it comes to dressing a white tail deer.

Back