Christmas list

Was asked by my wife this morning if I had any sharpening gear I wanted for christmas since she is going to be christmas shopping soon. Naturally I gave her a short list of some shaptons I haven't collected yet along with a few diamond plates I would like to add and a couple other things. What is on your guys christmas list.
P.S. my 5 year old daughter wants her own complete set of norton crystolon, and India bench stones this year. I love this kid.

It is always the same items with respect to sharpening supplies: Naniwa Golden Lobster #80 and Green Stone (Silver Lobster) #120. I don't expect that very short list to change anytime soon.

That's awesome. I had heard of the golden lobster before but not the silver. Looks pretty nice I wonder how fast they wear.

They will visibly hollow upon any serious work on them. Hence the need for two in an attempt to limit excessive wear on one. Lifetime can be extended by working all areas of the stone, retaining slurry for reuse and flattening against one another. Like the Sigma Power II series, the Golden and Silver Lobster stones are manufactured by firing away the binder to maximize per volume abrasive content.

My wife and I don't exchange gifts as I don't wait for Christmas if I need something. Anything she could buy me I already have.

My wife and I don't exchange gifts as I don't wait for Christmas if I need something. Anything she could buy me I already have.
We're the same but, she likes to see me open something nice that I've wanted on that day. Women. You gotta love them.

Like the Sigma Power II series, the Golden and Silver Lobster stones are manufactured by firing away the binder to maximize per volume abrasive content.

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't that result in exactly the same amount of abrasive by volume but increase the porosity?

The bricks are compressed as the binder is evaporated.

Must be a pretty unusual binder, as compression after the removal of binder ought to result in crumbling. Otherwise it sounds like you're just describing the normal shrinkage of a stone during firing, which is a totally normal occurrence. This is kind of getting off topic, so my apologies there, but do you have a link to where you found this information?

I hope to be with health and with family, but in my letter to Santa is Wicked Edge W130 but for it I’ll have to “take the scorpion out off my pocket.” :D

On second thought, I think I may forego stones in favor of an OLED TV (I pay half in lieu of her present and she pays half in lieu of mine). 2017 is an LG tick year in which the chance of winning the pixel lottery is greater than that in a tock year. Random thought. Don't mind me :)

Back