Cigar smokers, what do you keep going back to

I've gone off the deepy deep end. 'Course, most tell me I've been there longstanding. :D

28721048868_ab5ee8fbf1_b.jpg

This is just a sampling. Numerous packages are expected very shortly with boxes of handmades. Had to find my personal liking first. :)

I smoked the Alec Bradley Prensado in the pic and it was delicious. Oily, leathery wrapper. Great flavors. I found it burned uneven and sloppy. Then consider the Esponoza Comfortably Numb -- perfect double cyclone roll of crystal clean smoke, but....nothing more to note. Won't buy again.

I like what @monster said about the bourbon (or even homemade brandy) to incorporate with enjoying a stogie; it's a different and enjoyable--perhaps heightened--experience.

Basically, once you make an account and a purchase at the big boy websites, you're hooked and doomed. They send you these catalogues to your mail box multiple times a month, and they market their products to be more enticing than candy (with friggin gold wrappers even lol)! You guys know what I'm talkin bout; darn knife magazines! :mad:
They show you the ratings (by Cigar Aficionados) at 90+, and besides hunting them down be sure to claim the limited estate growns and whatnot before someone else does!

TPVT TPVT Apparently the CAO Flathead V554 is the highest rated 60 ring ever. :thumbsup: From my previous list, I loved the Gloria Cubana Serie R No.5, Oliva Serie O (box inbound), Gray-Cliff 30 Year Vintage was stellar, and the Aroma de Cuba Immensa (more on the way lol).

As far as the pre-embargo Cubans go...why? They're ancient and have most likely been improperly stored. Could explain why the one company charges $100 for 10, while the other charges $100 for 5. Much better handmades to be smoked anyway.

Looking forward to the Oliva Serie V and many others comin my way! :cool:

As a lover of enjoying a properly lit pipe and a professionally rolled stick, I must say they are two entirely different worlds. It's like that shredded Wild Bill's beef jerky in the can (friggin delicious) compared to Gordon Ramsey's beef wellington.

It's hard to go wrong with these private sticks, estate growns, handmades, etc. As far as the big brands like Cohiba, R&J, Monte Cristo and the others, Punch seems to be the most consistent with 92+ offerings. Hard to go wrong with Oliva, Padron, Drew Estate and many others.

I just realized this thread is in the community center. :eek: Like fishin the dead sea lol.

TPVT TPVT Apparently the CAO Flathead V554 is the highest rated 60 ring ever. :thumbsup: From my previous list, I loved the Gloria Cubana Serie R No.5, Oliva Serie O (box inbound), Gray-Cliff 30 Year Vintage was stellar, and the Aroma de Cuba Immensa (more on the way lol).

I have had the flathead V660's before and really like them. but, it certainly is a substantial cigar. i don't really have 2 hours for a smoke. the sweet spot for me is 4.5" x 50 rings (give or take).

i still love trying new ones, but my go-to's are still the CAO C450 flathead sparkplugs and the Undercrowns (Robusto). i do like some of the other similar Drew Estate offerings. their Unico series is interesting; though, the only one i've had is the Papas Fritas (which i liked).

thanks for reviving the thread Phixt. please post back your favorites. :thumbsup:

I have had the flathead V660's before and really like them. but, it certainly is a substantial cigar. i don't really have 2 hours for a smoke. the sweet spot for me is 4.5" x 50 rings (give or take).

i still love trying new ones, but my go-to's are still the CAO C450 flathead sparkplugs and the Undercrowns (Robusto). i do like some of the other similar Drew Estate offerings. their Unico series is interesting; though, the only one i've had is the Papas Fritas (which i liked).

thanks for reviving the thread Phixt. please post back your favorites. :thumbsup:
Will do, and I completely agree with your first statement - it's why the v554 went in my cart and then right out. I'm a 5" x 50 Robusto guy (give or take :D), and with the punch cutter or a triangular cut with the tip of my knife, I couldn't care less about the Torpedos. On another note, I've been told Churchill is the most overpriced roll; claim being it's 'Less' cigar despite the length, with lots of dead space of smoke and--usually--an underwhelming sweet spot.

My pipe.

I try all kinds of cigars, and my son-in-law gifts me cigars, and I like them. But I do not love them like a good smoke with one of my pipes when it's packed just right and a good even light going.

It's a 50 year habit, what can I say.

My pipe.

I try all kinds of cigars, and my son-in-law gifts me cigars, and I like them. But I do not love them like a good smoke with one of my pipes when it's packed just right and a good even light going.

It's a 50 year habit, what can I say.
i tried a pipe once, just prior to the cigars. seemed like a romantic notion. but the draw was too much. felt like i was sucking air through a straw. i obviously don’t know how to pack a pipe. but i didn’t have any filters in it either.

i still have that pipe. wouldn’t mind trying again. any tips?

Usually for me is a Rocky Patel Edge. It's my daily driver. We are fortunate to have a cigar lounge here in town and when I'm going to sit in there and smoke I'll shop around (they have a huge selection) I enjoy something that I have not tried before or have not smoked in a long time.

My search is done. How/why these are still available goes to show how little I know about cigars, but boy oh boy am I glad to have scored such a sweet bounty!

Oliva Master Blends III (2006)
42355919374_43d956ce7e_b.jpg

The Graycliff 30-Year Vintage are out of this world too, but I'm not about to spend $20 a stick on those; give it another week or two. :) (with beard stubble and stogie)

good timing for me to see this. just got back from camping for four nights. these are both terrific and will become regulars. so, the nica rustica, cabaiguan, and the flathead. that’s my list right now. :thumbsup:

(think i like the NR better than the undercrown. will need to test that theory though.)

37FFEBED-A493-438B-A0CD-664B9F1515C1.jpeg 8EA05651-F553-46DE-9260-BB95F1791270.jpeg

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8, Cameroon or maduro. Consistent, full-flavoured, perfect size, and decent price.

My all time favorite is the Padron 1964 Exclusivio Maduro! Well, they've become very hard to get due to the political issues in Nicaragua. I called to order the other day and was told they didn't know when they'd get more. I'm assuming the prices on cigars from there will be going up!

medium800.jpg

I don’t smoke cigars often,

But when I do I like H. Upmann #2.

By some coincidence I also like Monte Cristo #2 but with the monte cristo it is much more important that the cigar be properly matured and aged.

I am a cigar noob though.

My all time favorite is the Padron 1964 Exclusivio Maduro! Well, they've become very hard to get due to the political issues in Nicaragua. I called to order the other day and was told they didn't know when they'd get more. I'm assuming the prices on cigars from there will be going up!

medium800.jpg
I'm having the same problem. My favorites are the 1926 and the 3000. Wanted to bring a box on vacation to Thailand but had to go with my next choice, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990.

Any recommendations for a newbie?
I typically like sweeter cigars and smaller sizes.

I smoke cigars very rarely and wont finish a full size. Any help would be great!

South Beach Honey Maple isn't too bad, and very reasonably priced:

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve makes a damn fine cigar. Pricey, for sure:

My favorite is probably Isla Del Sol:

Back