Recommendation? Cigar Whittlers

I was looking to purchase a Traditional Cigar whittler knife to round out my collection just a bit more. I am looking for something Either USA or European made and would prefer carbon steel blades. I have seen the case interpretation but i just want to know what else is out there. I have a budget of around $60-80. I don't really care if it has bone, stag or wood handles but i don't want any plastic handles. If anyone knows of any discontinued knives that fit my description i would love to hear about them also. Thanks.

Last edited:
Not US or European, but Rough Rider makes one they call the Big Red Whittler.

Rich

Not US or European, but Rough Rider makes one they call the Big Red Whittler.

Rich

Thanks for the Reply. I have seen many of the rough rider and various Chinese made offerings. And while they look quite nice i would just personally prefer to buy either American or European. Also i prefer carbon steel in my traditionals which RR and others like Schrade don't use. If i can't find anything i may consider picking one up though. Thanks.

The only Cigar Whittler I am personally familiar with is the one made by Case. I have one, from 2008, in stainless steel. If you are looking for one to carry, it's a nice big knife that carries well because of the rounded bolsters of the cigar shape and sunk joints. The blade profiles are all rather similar (long spear, short pen, short spey).

They were discontinued a number of years ago but you can still find a few new ones in the inventories of some vendors. I don't know if they were ever offered in carbon steel.

The only Cigar Whittler I am personally familiar with is the one made by Case. I have one, from 2008, in stainless steel. If you are looking for one to carry, it's a nice big knife that carries well because of the rounded bolsters of the cigar shape and sunk joints. The blade profiles are all rather similar (long spear, short pen, short spey).

They were discontinued a number of years ago but you can still find a few new ones in the inventories of some vendors. I don't know if they were ever offered in carbon steel.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen them on ebay but for over $100 new which im not whilling to spend on something from case unless its exotic. I might have to wait for case to make a new run of new run of them so the prices will be lower. If they do I hope they use cv steel. It bums me out that they only use cv steel in like 3 handle materials vs the Tru sharp which uses every handle materials.

Some nice Queen-made “black box” Winchester’s can be had in that pattern with carbon blades.

No prob. There may be a stag and some acrylic versions out there too if they interest you.

No prob. There may be a stag and some acrylic versions out there too if they interest you.

Thanks. There's actually quite a few old Queen Winchesters on eBay that are really good deals and I'm probably going to pick up a few more than originally planned.

GEC #54 whittler if you can find one.

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tractor6sm2.jpg

Those early 90's Case Classics were made by Queen and have excellent fit and finish. So the 6391 cigar whittlers might be worth the extra money if they're what you're looking for. I won a 1990 on the auction site for $67 and it was mint. They're big though.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the GEC whittlers but i cant find one that i'm willing to spend the cash for. As for the Case knives, I've seen those as well, I actually have a case trapper from that line that is great. If i can find one that is reasonable I could pick that up as well. Man I wish I had a bigger bank account! :)

Okay i ended up going with an old Winchester knife with the jigged bone covers and i couldn't be happier. Thanks for the recommendations everyone i really appreciate it.

Back