Civil war sword

How do I get the engraving or acid etched letters to show up better on my civil war sword .

• Acid etching

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engraving

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How to bring out acid etching or engraving of state that soldier etched or engraved like Texas south Carolina virgins ect.

How to bring out acid etching or engraving of state that soldier etched or engraved like Texas south Carolina virgins ect.
Is this a genuine antique sword of the era? Is so, don't do either of these. It will destroy the value and look worse than it does now. Use ballistol and a cotton rag and elbow grease. For more detail on cleaning an antique saber, consult Matt Easton's videos on YouTube or on his website.

Zieg

Need pictures and a lot more, as well as clearer information.

Sorry but Matt is still learning as we all do and damned if he'll attribute where he learned his own "expertise". I consider his method of using a wire wheel in a drill that of a dolt and his "finding" "evaporust" not startling to me, as we read it in the same discussion at SFI. Love the guy like a twisted cousin and fb buddy but I wish folk would realize that he is more about numbers and "fame". Nothing wrong with an ego but standing on the shoulders of giants to pump his own reckoning is kind of dim, in my book. I'm a bit dim in calling it out but let's start with the object of the thread.

Bah Humbug. Pictures or it never happened.

Sorry but Matt is still learning as we all do and damned if he'll attribute where he learned his own "expertise". I consider his method of using a wire wheel in a drill that of a dolt and his "finding" "evaporust" not startling to me, as we read it in the same discussion at SFI. Love the guy like a twisted cousin and fb buddy but I wish folk would realize that he is more about numbers and "fame". Nothing wrong with an ego but standing on the shoulders of giants to pump his own reckoning is kind of dim, in my book. I'm a bit dim in calling it out but let's start with the object of the thread.

Roger that. But I've never seen the worst of it, like the wire wheel, so that comes as a sad surprise. Too bad. Nevertheless, I stand by my advice not to mess with the sword as the OP was suggesting. What say you?

Zieg

Roger that. But I've never seen the worst of it, like the wire wheel, so that comes as a sad surprise. Too bad. Nevertheless, I stand by my advice not to mess with the sword as the OP was suggesting. What say you?

Zieg
The "do nothing" approach is a beginning. Without seeing an object I have little, or zero further advice. From there, determine whether to further conserve or go further to any restoration. There are stages of condition where doing nothing, is conserving an item.

Wire wheels? That's not restoration that's abuse.

Could you be a little more clear on what you are trying to do? Do you want to bring out an already engraved/etching on a sword ?

Back