Civivi baklash

I have been looking for a good EDC knife for a long time, and have posted some questions on this forum about other knives for the last month. I got a lot of responses that were helpful. I don't have that much experience with knives, so I don't really know what I am looking for. I recently looked at the Civivi baklash and was wondering if anybody thinks it is a good knife.

The Baklash is an excellent knife. I bought one of the ebony wood models when it first became available. Fit and finish are good. The action is sweet. It feels great in my hand. The blade slices well and holds a decent edge. With a proper heat treatment and good blade geometry, Civivi is really getting the most out of their 9Cr18Mov.

I think the Baklash is a good size for general EDC. I also like a good stainless steel in my EDC knives and 9Cr18Mov doesn't disappoint on that front.

I'd still rather have the Kizer Begleiter over that Civivi. I'd rather have VG10 over 8Crxxxx.

I'd still rather have the Kizer Begleiter over that Civivi. I'd rather have VG10 over 8Crxxxx.

VG-10 is a good stainless steel and a solid choice for EDC knives. 8Cr13Mov is significantly less good but nobody is suggesting that here. The Baklash uses 9Cr18Mov. I think VG-10 is a little better but by how much, I'm not sure. The steel is just the ingredient. Its inherent properties matter but what the maker can get out of it with good blade geometry and a proper heat treatment also matter. At least in Civivi's case, you'll be getting the most out of that 9Cr18Mov.

In other words, for however much better VG-10 is than 9Cr18Mov; I wonder how much you'll actually notice that difference in normal EDC tasks. You might notice it less than other factors like ergonomics, action, blade shape, etc. Between the Baklash and the Begleiter, I'd let those other factors make the decision.

BTW, here is a chart comparing 8Cr13Mov, 9Cr18Mov, and VG-10. Notice that both 9Cr18Mov and VG-10 are a big step up from 8Cr13Mov.

The baklash is an excellent knife. I got the CF version, 50 bucks, and it's worth it. Good materials, excellent build, smooth, feels great. No problem with the steel, and it's a very good slicer. Only problem I had was the pivot screw was almost cemented in and took a lot of torque to break free. Almost used heat but it finally broke free.

42 bucks for the standard version is a steal considering that a lot of Chinese Kershaws come with 8cr and cost that much. 50 bucks for the CF version. I recommend it.

CIVIVI has been doing a great job lately. I had a Baklash and gifted it. It was a little big for my M-F EDC. My Mckenna has kicked some much more expensive knives out of my pocket.

CIVIVI is the value brand of WE Knives and is currently bringing some of the best values in knives to market.

I can’t speak to that model, but I’ve been nothing but impressed with the quality of my Civivi Praxis. WE’s build quality with cheaper materials (blade steel and bearings) for around $40 is a bargain.

It looks like Drop (formerly known as Massdrop) is doing the Baklash again. The base versions are only $39. They also have an exclusive version with blue scales if that's your thing.

VG-10 is a good stainless steel and a solid choice for EDC knives. 8Cr13Mov is significantly less good but nobody is suggesting that here. The Baklash uses 9Cr18Mov. I think VG-10 is a little better but by how much, I'm not sure. The steel is just the ingredient. Its inherent properties matter but what the maker can get out of it with good blade geometry and a proper heat treatment also matter. At least in Civivi's case, you'll be getting the most out of that 9Cr18Mov.

In other words, for however much better VG-10 is than 9Cr18Mov; I wonder how much you'll actually notice that difference in normal EDC tasks. You might notice it less than other factors like ergonomics, action, blade shape, etc. Between the Baklash and the Begleiter, I'd let those other factors make the decision.

BTW, here is a chart comparing 8Cr13Mov, 9Cr18Mov, and VG-10. Notice that both 9Cr18Mov and VG-10 are a big step up from 8Cr13Mov.

The OPs previous post was on the Kizer Begleiter and what people thought about it. I supported the purchase of the Kizer. Now when he asked about the Civivi, I was referencing his previous post and my response in that previous post. I think the Kizer Begleiter is a better knife over the Civivi Backlash for $8 more.

The Baklash is a fantastic knife. Here's a video of mine, which is the ebony version ...

Thanks for sharing. Look carefully at the pocket clip. Notice that the screws are flush and don't stick up into the loop. That's a nice touch and an improvement over the base models.

I have had a couple Civivis. All were the Damascus versions. The Praxis has knocked several expensive knives out of rotation! Great knives and you don't mind actually using them!

Back