Civivi Elementum Owners

I agree with everything you've said except I have them ranked the other way around, with the Drop Gent being a little nicer than my Elementum, lol. The S35VN version of the Elementum goes for $80 and the S35VN Drop Gent normally goes for $100, but can also often be purchased for $80. The Gent gives you a frame lock (which I prefer) instead of a liner lock, but that's pretty subjective. The Drop has more of a full-flat grind, which I prefer... But that's also subjective. The Elementum has the better pocket clip imo. The action and ergonomics are about equal to me. I give the Gent the nod mainly because of the titanium frame.
This may sound crazy, but I had the Gent briefly before getting rid of it. It is a beautiful knife, but it felt almost too thin and not like a very "solid" knife. Of course, feeling is subjective. It may actually be a very solid knife, just like the BM Bugout is, which I don't like either because it doesn't feel very "solid". The other thing is that I did not like having to remove the scales on the Gent to get to the pivot.

This may sound crazy, but I had the Gent briefly before getting rid of it. It is a beautiful knife, but it felt almost too thin and not like a very "solid" knife. Of course, feeling is subjective. It may actually be a very solid knife, just like the BM Bugout is, which I don't like either because it doesn't feel very "solid". The other thing is that I did not like having to remove the scales on the Gent to get to the pivot.

Not at all! I can understand what you mean about how thin the Gent is. I actually just mentioned in another thread that I have baby hands, so I'm sure that probably why the thinness of the knife doesn't bother me. I've given both the Gent and Elementum very hard workouts (I break down a LOT of boxes and open a LOT of pallets at work) and both performed just fine. I've even brought knives that are super thin like the Spyderco Chaparral to work without any issues. I definitely wouldn't call any of those knives "robust" though.

I agree about having to remove the scales to get to the pivot. Especially when the first few batches were shipped without any blue Loctite and inevitably worked themselves loose.

Personally... If you didn't like the ergonomics of the Elementum too much, I don't think you'll find the Elementum to be much better. If I remember right, the handle Elementum is only like .05" thicker than the Gent. The handle is a little bit longer and wider though. To me, they feel very close to the same in hand.

The stonewashed s35vn micarta one has been out of stock for ever. Any info on when they will be making more of the s35vn models because if I am correct they have a thinner stock.

D2 owner briefly. Excellent value. Flipped open nicely but the blade doesn't have enough mass to be a fun drop shutter. Micarta felt rather cheap. I moved it.

Like many Civivi knives, the Elementum feels like a more expensive knife. The blade gets reasonably thin behind the edge. The action is good. No complaints about fit and finish. Having disassembled a bunch of Civivi knives, including two Elementums, I've noticed that they leave the factory with cleaner internals than a lot of other budget knives.

If you don't know, lots of budget knives leave the factory dirty. It's not uncommon to see grit, grime, goo, random tool marks on the internals, and even the occasional metal shaving trapped in there. I haven't had these issues with Civivi (or the Massdrop Gent that was also made by WE).

I'd recommend checking out the premium versions of the Elementum in S35VN. Besides better blade steel, they use thinner blade stock. That takes it from a good slicer to a great slicer. As far as the Gent, the S35VN Elementum retired mine outright. It fills the same role and is a much better knife overall.

In my opinion, when it comes to the $50-$60 range, almost nothing compares. I’d even go as far as saying it’s better than a lot of $100+ knives out there. I have 2 “micarta” versions and the grind, detent, action, etc. are stellar.

However, it’s a tad small, it’s not the most aesthetically pleasing knife in the world and the steel isn’t top of the line, but it gets the job done.

I like mine but it does require some effort to fire. Which is good but seems to need more pressure than I like on a knife. It's my just clip in pocket and go knife when I'm I don't give a crap what happens to it. Mine slices pretty well but I re did the edge and polished. After about a month I did notice some blade play but that's a easy fix. You can't go wrong for 50 bucks. It does vanish in my pocket and I don't even know I have it on. I'm really liking under 3oz for pocket EDC. I have a kizer clutch I use alot and it's slightly bigger but I do notice it's there vs the civivi.

I'm waiting for the nox and bo models to come out. That may be a option for you also if you want a better blade material.

But for 50 bucks again you can't beat it. Plus you can always sell it for the same price basically.

Is there a dealer that sells elementum with no sales tax to NY and free shipping?

Civivi is the best budget brand, period. I'm waiting on more button lock elementums to get in stock. Recently got a Kepler, and it's a pretty fine little fixed blade. Have 4 other civivis and they are all excellent. Great fit and finish, great grinds, cut very well. Can't go wrong imo.

Had an artisan tradition (in d2) at one time. It was a fine knife, but had fit and finish flaws. One of the smoothest knives I've ever handled, and rivaled my xm24. Gave it to a student, he's beat on it and it just keeps asking for more, the edge holds up really well so it seems it was treated well.

While my favorite Civivi is the dogma, the elementum has a certain vibe to it in it's simple design. The action is good, but not great, the ergos are good but not great, etc. Its a really good, all-around package for 50$ you can't go wrong. I've owned multiples and if you can get your hand on the thinner S35VN versions, I'd definitely jump on it; the improved action and extra sliceability is noticeable.

There's nothing "wrong" with the knife...its like a honda lol.

Is there a dealer that sells elementum with no sales tax to NY and free shipping?
I don't think that there's any escape from sales tax these days. The laws have been more restrictive and vendors have to collect tax or end up owing it themselves.

Both BladeHQ and KnifeCenter have "free shipping" sales from time to time. I think they both had one over the Independence Day weekend. Sign up for email distribution from all of the BF supporting vendors and you'll find free shipping eventually. Most offer free shipping on anything over $100.

As someone who has multiple WE manufactured knives, I can say that Civivi is definitely the best budget brand out there. For years the only knife I purchased under $100 was a Vic super tinker SAK. Wanting to try a front flipper, I decided on a Civivi Mckenna last year, damascus blade at $85 ish. Sold. Now I own a CF/Damascus Exarch. I also own a Massdrop/WE/FF Gent select, and while very nice, I like the Civivi's better. I also have a WE Deacon, and feel its well worth the $250 price.

Personally, I'd prefer to give my business to somewhere else than China, but they are just killing it in the flipper/front flipper market.

We (as knife knuts) also talk about heat treat, hardness, etc. Particle metallurgy has done wonders for steel. However, proper heat treatment etc makes a huge difference as well. While I have no experience with Chinese D2, I can tell you that the 9Cr based damascus Civivi makes comes incredibly sharp and thus far has held its edge as well as some PM steels I've had.

I have an Elementum in ebony, it’s a very well made knife. It’s on the small side for me, I have a hard time grasping it..I much prefer the Civivi Little Fiend

TfLfUdk.jpg

I have a Damascus Elementum and a Kizer Vanguard Lan. Both are $70-$80. Both are good Chinese knives for the money. I bought the elemetum as I was interested in Civivi/WE build quality. Both are very good for the price. All things being equal, the Kizer has a much better action, drop shut action actually. I currently use it as a backup knife when someone asks to borrow my knife. I certainly will not let them use one of my primary carry knives.

The Kizer is bigger but it's slim and easy to carry. Both are worth the money for sure.

Civivi and Kizer - med.jpg

Back