Photos CK Edition LionSteel Bolus Clip point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks, big thanks to Mike @knifeswapper for his great work with these traditional LionSteel folders he is having made. Just got this new style in today, fast shipping too, thanks Mike!

As with any stag handled knife you order without seeing the actual stag, you are in suspense until it arrives upon your doorsteps and you unwrap that rascal to check it out. This one is very nice, as others have mentioned, these Bolus folders are a little thicker but that provides a positive grip in use and Mike had them bring that front up so the tang is sunken and doesn't dig into your pockets, well thought out and appreciated!

The curves of the handle fit my medium/large hands great and the pull is just a smidge stronger than the main blade on a SAK Pioneer folder, just right in my opinion.

No blade play what so ever, nice flat ground M390 blade with well executed swedge and long pull nail nic's but I can pinch grip the front portion to open it as well.

The behind the edge measurement is a pleasant .017" so she's ground down thin to win.

The stag has great texture and I was concerned that it would be too fat and too flat, but it's just right on thickness and the stag has a slight hourglass shape as it narrows down and then swells up slightly to the end of the handle, couldn't have asked for better, can you tell I'm happy :)

Here are some initial images, feel free to include some of yours of this style, didn't want to add to the other thread but felt this deserved it's own discussion thread.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Great first weekend of the year ;)
G2

Last edited:
Impressive knife and a grand review thanks Gary:thumbsup::cool:

I particularly like the rounded/tubular liners on Lionsteel knives and the blade steel makes you sit up and think :D (does everthing have to patina to rust..;)) and it's fine stuff to use.

What's the closed length please and any ideas of weight?

Regards, Will

Thanks Will, closed length is right at 3 3/4" long and thickest portion of this stag scales are at about 5/8" thick.

As to weight, I do not know, just compared it to my SAK Pioneer and the SAK 'felt' slightly heavier so it is pretty light weight knife.

and yep, patina and me don't much get along ;)
G2

Great review, Gary - thanks.
Anxious to hear more after you have a chance to give it some pocket time.
Wishing you health, prosperity and happiness in the New Year.
OG

Very, very nice Gary. Is that the Lionsteel that you can take the covers off and adjust the pivot pin/screw? Could you post a picture of where and how the thong is attached? Again, way nice knife.

Thanks guys and Ed, yep this is the one you can take the covers off to adjust if need be, but, I hope not to have to do that anytime soon.

As to the lanyard attachment, they put a pin into the steel back spring, milled out a nice smooth radius so you can slide material down and around the pin. I just finished putting a bobtail fob on there that is just long enough to hang out of the watch pocket.

G2

Forgive me, Gary for posting an Otnat in your thread but I haven't attached a lanyard to mine. The "hidden" lanyard tube is perhaps a little easier to see here.
IMG_4461.JPG
I like this design a lot because I don't use lanyards so I don't normally care for a lanyard tube on my knives. With this design I have a lanyard tube if I ever do want to use it and it doesn't interfere with anything in the meantime.

Thanks for doing that, the paracord I use is pretty thick so it was a bit to get in there and didn't want to cut it out for a photo ;)
G2

Thanks guys and Ed, yep this is the one you can take the covers off to adjust if need be, but, I hope not to have to do that anytime soon.

As to the lanyard attachment, they put a pin into the steel back spring, milled out a nice smooth radius so you can slide material down and around the pin. I just finished putting a bobtail fob on there that is just long enough to hang out of the watch pocket.

G2

Thanks for the quick response Gary. The method of attachment and your fob are unique. I like the silver work on your fob.

Good to hear your clip point was ground nice and thin. That stag looks beautiful too!

I just parted with my Otnat today, but I've been eyeballing the clip point version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a spear point, but if it doesn't happen, that clip point would do nicely.

Gary I'm always afraid to order stag because you never know what you'll get. I would be as happy as you if I had gotten that sample.
I've carried my C/F daily and the more I carry and use it, the more I like it.
Mike @knifeswapper really out did his self with this one.

Edit to add: The nail nick on these is perfect you can use the nick or pinch it, either way it works beautifully.

Last edited:
Hi folks, big thanks to Mike @knifeswapper for his great work with these traditional LionSteel folders he is having made. Just got this new style in today, fast shipping too, thanks Mike!

As with any stag handled knife you order without seeing the actual stag, you are in suspense until it arrives upon your doorsteps and you unwrap that rascal to check it out. This one is very nice, as others have mentioned, these Bolus folders are a little thicker but that provides a positive grip in use and Mike had them bring that front up so the tang is sunken and doesn't dig into your pockets, well thought out and appreciated!

The curves of the handle fit my medium/large hands great and the pull is just a smidge stronger than the main blade on a SAK Pioneer folder, just right in my opinion.

No blade play what so ever, nice flat ground M390 blade with well executed swedge and long pull nail nic's but I can pinch grip the front portion to open it as well.

The behind the edge measurement is a pleasant .017" so she's ground down thin to win.

The stag has great texture and I was concerned that it would be too fat and too flat, but it's just right on thickness and the stag has a slight hourglass shape as it narrows down and then swells up slightly to the end of the handle, couldn't have asked for better, can you tell I'm happy :)

Here are some initial images, feel free to include some of yours of this style, didn't want to add to the other thread but felt this deserved it's own discussion thread.

Great first weekend of the year ;)
G2
That Gary, is BEAUTIFUL STAG:eek::cool::thumbsup: I too was lucky in not knowing what I would unveil when my Ram's Horn arrived but was pleasantly surprised:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks I made it tying two diamond knots tightly next to the Viking Rune bead
G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back