CK Exclusive: Fox Cutlery "Recoil" Gunstock

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
(Apologies, Mike, if I am beating you to it)

As most of us are aware by now, Mike (@knifeswapper) has facilitated a number of excellent collaborations with the Maniago cutlery firms out of Italy. This has resulted in a number of variations of Barlow, Sodbuster types, Sowbelly, and others - as well as the Swayback that was our forum knife choice for 2020.

I am very fond of these knives and they do a tremendous job of bridging the gap between traditional designs and modern manufacturing and materials. Mike is to be commended for these efforts and I really hope they continue well into the future.

This brings me to the latest - the Fox Cutlery "Recoil" Gunstock, a single blade jack with all the slickness of design execution we appreciate in Viper and LionSteel. Since there has been a lot of interest in a single blade Gunstock from GEC, I thought this Fox version might hit a sweet spot for some and it would be neat to drum up some discussion on it.

(If I recall correctly, the Recoil name was determined or at least was featured in a recent giveaway that Mike hosted and I think it rather fitting.)

A single blade in M390 stainless steel, integral titanium bolsters/liners, and a variety of cover options that are potentially yet to be determined. It looks to be a lot of blade for this knife at 3 1/2" closed and Mike demonstrates the action along with some commentary on his website - it really does look like it will be a superb offering in CK's burgeoning lineup.

This pic is pulled from CK (because all threads are better with pics).

ZH7PYex.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Padruig, for the picture.

That is a smart looking knife. It's nicer than I had imagined it would be. My goodness!

An interesting point of note: I remember when the Roundhead Euro Barlow was first announced and I recall being somewhat put off by the screwed construction. (I quickly warmed to it though and have enjoyed seeing the different patterns come to life.) Where the LionSteel Barlows hide the pivot (due to the bolsters not being integral), the Viper Swayback and Sowbelly show the pivot screw and it is rather large with a finish that matches the bolster. The Fox Recoil has a smaller pivot screw with a bright finish - I know this is a prototype but I think it looks very nice.

That is a sweet looking clip blade! I was anticipating seeing these come to fruition, and certainly one will be in my future. I am quite pleased with these modern traditionals, and love that they are utilizing exceptional steel in the blades. At first I was a little cold towards them, but after getting a few examples and using and carrying them, I am sold! They are pleasing to my eye, keep an edge for a long time, and fit my lifestyle. Toss them in the pocket and no worries about corrosion, very little maintenance, and cut what needs cutting without any fuss.

Not for me - may well be good knives. But not traditional enough.

Last edited:
well, it was only a matter of time for Mike to take more of my money... :confused:

and that's saying something these days, 'cause with the December holidaze just around the corner, I'm getting stingy!

kudos to CK on this! I'm excited for the lava model!!

Last edited:
I had forgotten about these. Love the clip point. Just signed up for a reserve. Here's hoping the lava CF happens.

I’m definitely in for one of these.

Hoping the burlap micarta makes the final cut.

Shows a lot of quality and ingenuity, the blade steel and the sunk-joint are really worthy of note:thumbsup: Practical and aesthetic.

Not for me though, not due to any 'Traditional' quibbles but I simply don't like the Gunstock pattern at all, does work better as a single blade, as all of these Contemporary Traditionals do in my opinion.

Going to make a fine EDC for many and a tough worker (based on my Fox Livri which has really pleased me)

Thanks, Will

The olive one would be very handsome, but the screws just ruin it for me, as with all the “modern traditionals”.

Take that for what it’s worth - I’m not sure my opinion counts, since I swore not to spend that much money on a knife anyway.

Back